Creativity Hour works thread

Talk about whatever you like here!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Re: Creativity Hour works thread

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:20 am

Yeah, I know *that* feeling. At least you're making good art of it.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:07 pm

Tried my hand at drawing one of those idealised 19th century historical portraits of Saphrax, the original founder of the Guild of Calamitous Intent from Venture Brothers. Yes, he's meant to look like a 4th century Jonas Venture. Because we all know he must have. (And if I'd had time to draw his henchman Alatheus, he would of course have looked like Brock.)

Research: 0% actual 4th century Gothic outfits, 100% cheesy national romanticism.
Attachments
leader of men, leader of HENCHmen.jpg
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:08 pm

Started colouring a piece of Joker fanart from a previous Creativity Hour.

Mostly monochrome version can be found here.

Con-crit welcome, of course!

EDIT: Improved Sophie's eyes
Attachments
behind the smile colorised.png
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:12 pm

Since I wasn't able to attend yesterday, I drew another pic of my Destroying Angels space marines chapter. Viva Devastatio (previous art of her here) and two subordinates take a celebratory stroll after liberating a Dark Eldar colony (from Dark Eldar). She's meant to be smoking, but I'll forgive you for not being able to make that out.

Killing aliens is easy; perspective is hard.

Where there is evil, we will cleanse.
Where there is heresy, we will burn.
Where there is darkness, we will make a great light.
Attachments
missio patrata.jpg
Last edited by c_nordlander on Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:39 am

Gah, perspective like that must be hard to pull off, but kudos for having the will to try! I just have a doubt: are the little gaps in the shading around the borders intentional? I don't know what kind of effect you're going for there. I see you were trying to add some detail to the characters, but it feels to me like they'd be more effective as sillouettes, or if they were larger in the shot. I really wish I could see that detail more up close, especially the smoking character. :)

I also forgot to post it here, but I did an illustration for Treasure Hunt yesterday. I'm going to get the story published in small bits over the next several weeks in the same online newspaper that's been putting my stuff out, and I want to do an illustration for each part. Whomever read the first few pages of the story might recognise the scene; but for those who don't, this is the very beginning of the story, the moment that sparks the titular treasure hunt.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r325fqt4s2j1m ... 1.jpg?dl=0

EDIT: Rosa is supposed to be looking up to him, with her head tilted slightly down, our of shock and perplexity. I realise it might look like she's frightened of him, but, well, I think the story itself will make the context clear.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:28 pm

Thank you for the critique, and I agree with you. The irregular top edge was just a bad crop; I've fixed it now.
SirMustapha wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:39 am I see you were trying to add some detail to the characters, but it feels to me like they'd be more effective as sillouettes, or if they were larger in the shot.
Totally see what you mean.

Your picture is very nice, and I remember that scene! Both figures look good; Carlos might be a little stiff (I'm really not in a position to criticise full-figure drawings, though), but Rosa looks great. Her pose seems ambiguous, which is a good thing and appropriate to the situation. She doesn't seem particularly afraid.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:40 pm

Thanks a lot for the comments, Chris! I can see the stiffness you mention, and I think I can sorta justify it because Carlos is intently making a "dramatic" pose; but other than that, I wish to improve on things like that by focusing on silouettes like these, since I have far less chances of getting lost in details.

... also, after I made that drawing and put it up on my social media, I went back to the text and noticed I had described Rosa as having "curly hair". Whoops. Oh, well, I had never really pictured Rosa in my head as having curly hair, and when I wrote that,I most likely meant to describe it as wavy. Either way, the drawing actually represents how to see these characters in my head, so I have to remember to fix the text before I start submitting it for publication...
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:45 pm

I should have mentioned, I like the foreshortening of Carlos' arm pointing at the clock. It doesn't look *quite* perfect, but you're definitely getting there.
SirMustapha wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:40 pm ... also, after I made that drawing and put it up on my social media, I went back to the text and noticed I had described Rosa as having "curly hair". Whoops. Oh, well, I had never really pictured Rosa in my head as having curly hair, and when I wrote that,I most likely meant to describe it as wavy. Either way, the drawing actually represents how to see these characters in my head, so I have to remember to fix the text before I start submitting it for publication...
Heh! I've had that happen in my writing as well. When in doubt, trust your mental image. And at least you caught that issue before sending it in.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:43 pm

Tom Nook. I've never actually played an "Animal Crossing" game, I just wanted to do some shading and thought fur would be the most interesting texture.
Attachments
tom nook.png
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:15 pm

A happy (?) ending of my ongoing illustrated Joker/Sophie saga.

EDIT: I keep doing this. Reuploaded with the mirror image turned the right (??) way.

~

Charlaine would reach for the scabbed-up wounds pulling at the corners of her mouth and ask: "Does it hurt a lot?" And she would smile down at her and say: "Now they show how happy I am."
Attachments
happy ending for sophie.png
Last edited by c_nordlander on Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Nidotamer
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Nidotamer » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:10 pm

Super Mackleberry Sisters! Featuring princess Bart.
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
---- Harry Potter and the Portrait of what Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:21 pm

Pure nostalgia. The sprites look great, and I like how good they look in the Mario and Luigi colour scheme.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:03 pm

Decorating your face mask by making dozens of tiny holes in it. :doh:

EDIT: It's kind of hard to tell from the photo, but yes, that's embroidered (black thread in stem stitch, to be precise).
Attachments
chris goes totally mask on.jpg
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired
Advisory Technical Manager
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by kaspired » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:10 am

I didn't know about this thread until Chris mentioned it. Not sure if this is really "correct", but here goes nuthin'

This fun little project wiggled it's way through where I work (Yes, I do have a day job - barely). What you're looking at is a slab of Cedar, 3 inches thick, 12 inches wide, and about 7 feet tall. The lettering is C-N-C routed with brown inserts. The plaque is etched and polished bronze. All that is mounted to a heavy steel footing.

Lafayette Creek 1
Lafayette Creek 1
Lafayette Creek 2
Lafayette Creek 2
Lafayette Creek 3
Lafayette Creek 3

Curious what exactly I did for this?

I did two things, one is very visible, the other is supposed to be invisible. I'm quite pleased with the invisible results.

The visible detail is I did the patina on the steel base.

The invisible step was to repair some serious/huge damage that our C-N-C operator did to the upper left corner. He was routing the top to size when disaster struck. He was treating the Cedar as if it were a giant slab of plexiglass, not fickle wood. He caught the grain wrong and blew out a huge section. I had to replace two strips of wood and have it look EXACTLY like the original piece. My boss wasn't happy when he saw the bill from the lumber yard - $200 for one piece of Cedar. But he was happy when he saw the end result.

The best part: the client is thrilled to pieces.
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:07 am

This is totally relevant to this thread! I'm not an expert, but it looks great (nice patinated base), and of course the important part is that the client was satisfied with it.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon