Creativity Hour works thread

Talk about whatever you like here!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Re: Creativity Hour works thread

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:17 pm

Tried drawing the statue and wall reliefs from the Destroying Angels Chapter House in my fic here. Con-crit obviously welcome.

EDIT: Neatened it up a bit.
Attachments
harosheth haggoyim.png
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
kaspired
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by kaspired » Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:11 am

The end is in sight. Finally!

I have the remaining strips back in the shop. Don't ask about the hoops the engravers had to go through to get these finished. You wouldn't believe me...

P.A. Jr Muz 12
P.A. Jr Muz 12
P.A. Jr. Muz 13
P.A. Jr. Muz 13

They arrived on Wednesday, Thursday I drove them to the foundry to get patina, Friday I had them back.

P.A Jr. Muz 14
P.A Jr. Muz 14

All the pieces are here and mostly ready for final assembly. They need to be clear-coated and the etched lettering filled. Unfortunately for everybody our guy who does the fill isn't available for the next week. His daughter has undergone some surgery and he's visiting. Meaning the install is pushed back to the week between Christmas and New Years.

Last time I mentioned some "political" turmoil. Let me be a bit more specific...

There is a good chance this will be my swan song.

My boss, who contracted for this job, has retired. He's no longer here. He sold everything, the building, the assets, even the employees to a new owner and moved to Oregon. New owner has a shop in San Francisco that does the same thing that we do. This is a chance for her to expand her business. What they were weak with we are strong in and what we were weak in they are strong, so seems like a good match. Everybody is happy. Except for me. I get to finish this last job for my previous boss.

Single handedly.

New boss is "tolerating" this job. She wants it gone. But I still need to do other work for her. I'm in a weird space.

For example, other strangeness is since I'm doing the work for old boss I'm not on her pay-roll, I'm on old boss time. He's out of state meaning all our communication is virtual. Also I don't have access to a truck (insurance reasons) so I need to rent a truck. If I need some material, I can't just grab it from the shop. I need to go buy it. Which means another rental. There's more but the list is getting tedious.

Joy...
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:21 pm

Yikes, I hope things work out for you, job-wise. You certainly have talent to spare.

Those plates look really good!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:59 pm

For the last holidoodle of the year, I present the beginning of the classic "The Santa Claus Without a Beer," where Santa realizes Christmas will have to be canceled because he's too hungover to make his deliveries.
Attachments
the santa claus without a beer.png
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:18 pm

Hilarious picture and title. Barney is very recognisable, in a difficult pose, and like I said, I love the background.

The start of a Warhammer 40,000 fanfic. Only read if you're interested; however, it takes place on a planet I made up, and will introduce most of the canon as the main character stumbles upon it, so no real prior knowledge is required. Will get grim and dark later, of course, but no objectionable content in this part. Obviously still a work in progress.
Attachments
dagger bearers.doc
(19.5 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
dagger bearers.odt
(17.8 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:12 pm

He's supposed to be the elf guy from the frame story in Mary Gentle's short story collection Cartomancy.

EDIT: edited to give him less of a horse face.
Attachments
elthyrion.png
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:37 pm

Pass the Chanpaggan! I was finally able to say two words I never thought would be said.

It's up!

Pa. Jr. Muz 15
Pa. Jr. Muz 15
This thing fought us every step of the way. It took six guys and a nine-hour workday. The completed display weighs in at approximately 500 pounds! We took to the site in pieces and assembled it there. Each strip is stood off the verticals so each strip had to have specific stand-offs. The basic idea was to assemble it on the ground, then tilt it into position. It was so heavy that wasn't going to work. Instead with only a few strips attached we did a test fit to be sure the mounting bolts fit (the tolerances were very tight). Then somebody had the amazing idea of sliding it sideways to clear the wooden pieces and assemble it standing. We had two guys holding the display in place so it wouldn't fall, two guys doing the mechanical bits bolting the strips into place, and finally two more guys handling the strips.

Oh, did I mention that the museum is open for business? We had to keep an eye out for an infinite supply of 5 year olds.

Pa. Jr. Muz 16
Pa. Jr. Muz 16
After an exhausting day I signed onto to the email chain and uttered those two favorite words: "It's Up!"

The designer was onsite in ten minutes, and was ecstatic! The museum staff was flabbergasted, they weren't expecting anything like this.

A detail:
Pa. Jr. Muz 17
Pa. Jr. Muz 17

A final view:
Pa. Jr. Muz 18
Pa. Jr. Muz 18
Oh, the dweeb blocking the view? Me.
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:32 pm

Yikes, that's hefty! The end result looks really good, though. Kudos to you and everyone else who worked on it.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:43 pm

All rise for the 4th anniversary of Creativity Hour! To celebrate this momentous occasion: which of your creativity pieces are you particularly proud of, or fond of for whatever reason?

I have a few favourites, but I would like to put the spotlight on this one: the Wrath. It's not a complex picture at all, but I felt that I was able to capture my mental image exactly.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:24 pm

Oh, boy, it's been four years now! Crazy to think. Also, excellent question, Chris! But a very tough one. I had to go back and skim through my posts to see all that I've done. A surprising lot of my contributions were on the musical side. I guess, since a significant bit of the album was written and shown in the creativity hours, the single work that I'm proudest of is Equestrian Modes. I think that, if I were to evaluate the combination between an interesting concept and a good execution, that might be my single best work ever. It's not my personal favourite (The Ambassador's Visit gets that honour), but it's a composition that I'm very, very glad I've written. However, on the non-musical side, I'm extremely proud of The Ponyville Rag. A lot of it was done outside of the Hour, yes, but it was still intimately tied to it, so I still count. I love how that story just came out as spontaneously as it did, how well it channelled the feelings I had at the time, and how therapeutic it was to do it. I guess the feeling I have is less "pride," and more affection. I really, really love that story.

Also, I tried to nominate my favourite works from you people, but there are just too many to count. There's just so much great stuff for me to make a concise list. ... but still? A Second Chance, man. What a beautiful story.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:06 am

c_nordlander wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:43 pm All rise for the 4th anniversary of Creativity Hour! To celebrate this momentous occasion: which of your creativity pieces are you particularly proud of, or fond of for whatever reason?
Whoof, four years already? I guess I'm the most proud of the age chart (even though it took a sizable chunk of Creativity's lifespan thus far to complete) and Maggie Moonlight.
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:22 pm

@Stretch: Those are your most impressive works in my opinion as well!

I couldn't possibly pick a favourite among all the cool art, stories and music you guys have posted here over the years, but The Ambassador's Visit is something I felt truly privileged to listen to.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:13 pm

"If virtue and vision conflict, then one must yield."

Presenting Oculi Angeli, another Destroying Angel. Con-crit of course welcome.
Attachments
virtus magis quam visus.png
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:07 pm

Finally read your story, Chris. Interesting start and yes, an unusual perspective on that universe. Looking forward to more.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
Nidotamer
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Nidotamer » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:28 pm

I might no-show.

I won't be busy or nothing but if I show up I'll feel like I have to do something and I've been screaming at and hitting myself all day because NOTHING will look remotely right so, probably best I stay out...
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
---- Harry Potter and the Portrait of what Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash