Creativity Hour works thread

Talk about whatever you like here!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Re: Creativity Hour works thread

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:27 pm

I still haven't seen Nightmare Before Christmas, but this is very good, Stretch. The style is very Burtonesque. EDIT: Gah, pagetopper. Referring to Stretch's art on the previous page.

My picture. The girl on the left is meant to be this gal.

Con-crit welcome!
Attachments
welcome to the fold.png
Last edited by c_nordlander on Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:38 pm

I neglected to comment before, even though I had already shared my opinions in chat. Anyway, the Halloween pic is just excellent. There's so much energy in it, thanks to those quick thin lines, their expressions, poses and costumes. Very impressive work and rich in details. Chris's pic shows some further advances in the anatomy and the armour design. The armour looks quite robust and solid, which I guess is the whole point. I realise now that the thing that bothers me the most is the face of the girl on the right. I can't pinpoint any specific problem, but she doesn't look a lot like the earlier pic. I know drawing smaller faces makes it way more difficult to make them look recognisable, so it's not like I can even offer any corrections.

So I'll take the opportunity to share a little progress I made yesterday: I decided to experiment with the make-up ideas I had for my character Anthonius, and shared the results on my Instagram. Judging by the uncharacteristically high number of likes, I'm guessing he looks spiffy. Here's a translation of the caption:
"Who is this human being who has just landed on this profile? Don't be frightened! He has come in peace, and he just wants to have fun with those who are human just like him! He'll gradually introduce himself. This is still new to him..."
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:34 pm

Thank you very much for your comments. I think you mean the girl on the left, and yeah, faces still give me trouble, especially faces in profile. I'll keep improving.

You know I love your outfit, and while I'm far from an expert on make-up, yours looks well applied, and it and the nail polish have very nice colours, going well with the outfit. In short, Anthonius is starting to look great. I love the title.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
kaspired
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by kaspired » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:40 pm

(I know it's not Sunday. I didn't have my act together in time.)

This is gonna need some serious explaining.

Eventually this will be a donors wall, Y'know when somebody donates money to a project they get their name mounted somewhere.

So what you're looking at is 20 strips of 1/4 inch bronze. Yes really! For size comparison that table is 4 x 8 foot. The heaviest panel weighs in at 38 pounds and the other panels average out to be between 10 to 15 pounds. This beast is going to be heavy.

P.A. Jr. Muz 1
P.A. Jr. Muz 1

Some of my tedious headaches. The panels are stool off of the braces which require some not fooling around style stand-offs. Each panel gets 4 stand-offs and at 20 panels, that's a lot of stand-offs. I had to cut them to very specific sizes, then drill and tap each one. See the bronze squares? I can only drill into the panels maybe an 1/8 inch which simply isn't enough thread. The squares get attached to the panels in very certain spots and then tapped. Now suddenly I have 3/8 worth of thread. Much better.

P.A. Jr. Muz 2
P.A. Jr. Muz 2

This is the first mock-up, just to see if everything fits like it should. It does. The world is good.

P.A. Jr. Muz 3
P.A. Jr. Muz 3

Five of the panels have applied bronze lettering. I need to drill mounting holes where eventually the letters are screwed in place.

P.A. Jr. Muz 4
P.A. Jr. Muz 4

The second go at a mock-up with only two sets of letters in place.

P.A. Jr. Muz 5
P.A. Jr. Muz 5

So far I'm a week and a half into this. Unfortunately it won't be ready to install for at least three weeks. For any sharp eyed people out there, five of the panels aren't shown. The missing five are shipped to Arizona where lettering is etched into them, afterwards all the bronze is shipped to a foundry in Berkeley California and patina applied. The remaining panels have lettering printed onto them.

I'm so glad I'm not doing the big patina. But I do have to patina the lettering black, which isn't a big deal.

This is my work life for the (for at least) next month. Urgh!
Last edited by kaspired on Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:03 am

Wow. If it's any consolation, it's looking really good, what I see of it. And I'm glad you're only having to patinate the letters.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Nidotamer
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Nidotamer » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:21 am

So, been doing these before the hour, I didn't get to show up since I wasn't feeling well so did these in advance
Attachments
ruffconcepts.png
moreruffs.png
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
---- Harry Potter and the Portrait of what Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:13 am

I keep forgetting to review people's stuff, but I saw these, May, and they're really great. Your character designs are perfectly on-model.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:49 pm

Blood and death are waiting
Like a raven in the sky
I was born to die!
Hear me while I live,
As I look into your eyes
None shall hear a lie!
Power and dominion are taken by the will
By divine right hail and kill!

- Manowar, "Hail and Kill"

Posting this here, since I've used some creativity hours to do this. I heard you like Warhammer, so I put a warhammer in Warhammer.

Here's Sgt. Martel Caelestis, the Hammer of the Emperor and also her hammer is the Hammer of the Hammer of the Emperor. Old crappy drawing of her without her helmet here.

This is the first mini that I actually modified ever so slightly: the original figure had a winged sword on its pauldron, but I changed it to a winged, burning chalice with a bit of DAS modelling clay. The second photo shows what it looks like.

My first painted space marine is her sister here.
Attachments
bang bang martels silver hammer.jpg
goblet of wrath.jpg
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:57 pm

Oh, brilliant, Chris! So glad to know it's done! Congratulations!
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:43 pm

Oh Verrrry nicely done!

Uh, likely to not make it to the hour so here's my thing in advance
Attachments
ilovemetoo.png
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
---- Harry Potter and the Portrait of what Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:38 pm

Thank you both!

@May: Love it, both linework and colouring (really gives the feel of a comfy evening). The dialogue is sweet. Only issue I can think of is that Terri's nose looks a bit high up even for her, but that's easily fixed.

Also, I never noticed before that you draw future genderqueer Bart with tiny eyelashes. Very cool.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:19 pm

A Venture Brothers picture inspired by the Season 7 finale. SPOILERS for those who haven't seen it yet and want to.

Con-crit of course welcome.
Attachments
go team venture.png
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:14 pm

Started writing an actual story about my Warhammer 40k chapter, the Destroying Angels. Just a little short about one of the characters. Will probably finish it in the next instalment.

EDIT: Taken down for the time being.
Last edited by c_nordlander on Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:33 am

Back to the donor wall I'm working on.

I finally wrapped my little head around this job. It's a Godzilla sized beast.

Things are progressing. Haven't gotten the strips back from etching but I have received ten of the twenty strips from the land of patina. The foundry does amazing work, easily world-class results. Everybody is quite happy.

Now a not so fun task. I spent a solid week applying black patina to the letters. This is one rack of letters, I filled five of those things.

P.A. Jr. Muz 6
P.A. Jr. Muz 6
Some of the lettering is thick enough that they can be tapped and then screwed onto the strips. But there are a million letters that are too thin. The only way to attach 'em is to use double faced tape. Yes, really! Unfortunately for me I get to apply the tape and trim it to match each and every letter, and including the dots for the lower case "i". To make matters worse I can't just start taping. The backs are covered with dead patina, which needs to be sanded off, wiped with solvent, and trimmed. The tape is gooey, making cuts tricky to finish to a clean edge. Also we only received the exact number of letters to finish the job. No spare anything. If I lose a letter, we're dead. That includes the dreaded "i" dots.

(I did drop one of those little buggers, it would have to land on it's edge and roll away over there. After several minutes of panic I found it.)

P.A. Jr. Muz 7
P.A. Jr. Muz 7
(Just for sizing the letters are 1 7/8 inch tall.)

After a full 40 hour work week I've only completed 6 2/3 strips. There are a grand total of eight. Last week was simply miserable.

P.A. Jr. Muz 8
P.A. Jr. Muz 8
Last edited by kaspired on Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:04 am

Yikes. Seems like it's going to look great when it's finished, though.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon