Creativity Hour works thread

Talk about whatever you like here!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Re: Creativity Hour works thread

Post by c_nordlander » Sat May 05, 2018 11:56 pm

Thanks for the heads-up, hope you won't be too late.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun May 06, 2018 9:18 pm

In honour of belated Star Wars Day:

(she was supposed to wear her pacifier on a necklace, but her arm is obscuring it)
the third awakens.jpg
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Nidotamer
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Nidotamer » Sun May 06, 2018 9:51 pm

GOt some vague fragment of a script thing I guess? Not that I didn't start well before the hour but still.
Attachments
scptthingie.odt
(17.21 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
---- Harry Potter and the Portrait of what Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Post by Meteorite » Sun May 06, 2018 11:05 pm

Meteorite and Rarity spend the day together and absolutely nothing happens.*

* Pst, I'm lying.

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon May 07, 2018 10:36 pm

@May: you've given the brothers a very distinctive voice, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you'll do with them. The regulars are funny and perfectly in character. You have a good sense of comic timing; I could totally imagine this being the start of an episode.

@Alex: this continues with good characterisation (I like how you've struck the balance between Rarity's sense of delicacy and genuine urge to help), and there are some gems in terms of writing. Cheerilee is funny and sympathetic in her appearance. My only slight dislike (and this is as much a taste thing as anything) is that *man* is this relationship developing slowly. I was happy when Rarity
Spoiler
but then we got another round of "oh, I don't want to risk our friendship"/"I can't let her know that I know that she fancies me". Not a big problem at all, mainly because
Spoiler
(and Rarity actually has a character-appropriate reason not to reveal that she knows about Meteorite's feelings for her) but it still felt like a bit of well-trodden ground. The rest of the fic is really fresh, though, or I wouldn't be complaining so much about a minor point.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by Meteorite » Tue May 08, 2018 9:02 am

Thank you Chris. :) I do want to touch on a couple things, in particular that I find it interesting that you say the relationship is developing slowly because for me, throughout the story from the beginning (well, the beginning of Rarity's quest to understand Meteorite more) I've personally felt it's been careening out of control, and I've been desperately pulling the emergency brake on it just to slow it down any way I can, just to keep things on track.
Spoiler
I do apologise for the 'fake out' though; it wasn't intentional, at least in the sense of 'haha, got ya!'
Spoiler
But in any case, thank you once again. It helps knowing what you like and what you feel is off. :)

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open

Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Tue May 08, 2018 12:28 pm

I must say I understand both of you. I think the "slowness" is justified by the position the characters are in, but we're rooting so much for them, it feels like it's taking forever.

But then again, my characters fall in love the day after they meet, so what standards do I even have?
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Tue May 08, 2018 12:53 pm

You're totally right, Alex, and I want to reiterate that it's an issue of my taste, not something objectively wrong.

I don't object to the slowness as such (though I think the "careening out of control" is all in your mind :) ), just that one fake-out. It reminded me of cliché Hollywood romance movies where the leads simply CANNOT SPIT IT OUT until the time's up. And that's on the level of "they break up because of a misunderstanding" in terms of artificially extending the run-time, in my opinion. But if it's in character for Meteorite, that's what matters, plus the story does still progress in this chapter.

Do take as much time with this as you like: this is a very important part of the plot, and I'm enjoying it a lot so far.

EDIT: To be clear, I never thought you were pulling a "gotcha" on the readers, so no need to worry about that.
Last edited by c_nordlander on Sat May 12, 2018 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by Meteorite » Tue May 08, 2018 2:03 pm

I totally agree, and I feel if Meteorite knew she was (unintentionally) pulling that cliché, she'd be aghast with herself, just as I am with myself because I'd probably do the exact same thing. ;)

But yes, fortunately the story goes on, where it can safely careen off a cliff. ;D

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Tue May 08, 2018 11:07 pm

Now that we've got the scanner set up again, here's my backlog of things I've drawn for Creativity Hour that I haven't been able to post until now.

A dapper lion and one of his wives. Drawn in about fifteen minutes after I choked on the main thing I wanted to do, so I think at least the male lion came out pretty well. Apologies for awful quality (I drew it in ballpoint pen, and apparently the printer doesn't like that).

One of those art evolution things: me when I'd just started drawing vs. me a month ago. The woman is Rebecca from the musical Tanz der Vampire.

Link wearing female clothing seems to be popular for some reason. Here's the rare Glamorous Chanteuse Link. (I based the dress on the one Willie was wearing at the start of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.) Think it ended up okay, aside from the hands and misaligned eyes.

As usual, if you have any constructive criticism, you're welcome to give it.
Attachments
lions.jpg
rebeccas.jpg
a link to the 40s.jpg
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Tue May 08, 2018 11:26 pm

That's a classy, classy lion. I like him. I think it came quite well, especially since you were drawing so quickly and with ballpoint. The portrait is particularly impressive; the position of the eyes is a bit off, but the features look nice, and it shows you're going on the right track. Glam Link looks good in that dress! The arms are a little awkward, probably because of the difficult angles, and I applaud you for trying something so tricky. Excellent effort!
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Wed May 09, 2018 8:43 pm

Thank you very much! I'm still a complete noob when it comes to full-figure drawing, but I keep on trying.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Fri May 11, 2018 2:56 pm

Just to let you guys know that I'll be visiting my family this Sunday and won't be on chat in time for creativity. I might get in later on, and I'm looking forwards to see what you folks will come up with. :)
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Fri May 11, 2018 7:01 pm

Remember, you can always use some other hour.

Also, have fun!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun May 13, 2018 9:24 pm

New instalment of "Earth Guys Are Sleazy":

First instalment

Second instalment

Third instalment

Previously: Attempts to save Fry are stymied when Leela and Amy are both quarantined with an infectious disease (not like that you pervs), leaving Planet Express pilot-less. Meanwhile, on Frazetta, Fry grows restless and sets out on his own.

EDIT: Fixed a persistent misspelling and shaped up one line.

link to part 5
Attachments
earth guys are sleazy4.doc
(23.5 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
earth guys are sleazy4.odt
(28.69 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
Last edited by c_nordlander on Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon