Creativity Hour works thread

Talk about whatever you like here!
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Re: Creativity Hour works thread

Post by SirMustapha » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:23 pm

As posted in chat, here's the new part of the instrumental suite that I've been working on lately. It's called Second Day, and like the previous part, it's a suite of interconnected pieces, and many parts are intentionally similar to previous parts, since it's conceptual and all. Here are timestamps to the individual segments:

00:00 - Step into a New Day
02:25 - The Sound of Incompleteness
04:19 - Back on the Road
08:20 - Third Contact
12:20 - The Sound of Completeness
14:50 - Extrapolations on the Lydian flat-7 scale
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:00 pm

I listened to this while trying to work on a game, and it's the kind of melodic, slightly epic instrumental piece I love (and get inspired by). I did recognise a couple of your previous themes when they came up, and they worked well. A nice mixture of the low-key and a bit of drama. I'm really flattered that you're posting this here; this piece is clearly going in great directions.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:05 pm

The Joker... serenading Harley at Gotham Stadium or something?

Inspired by this scene.

EDIT: blep
Attachments
what beautiful voice1.png
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Post by Meteorite » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:06 pm

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:24 am

I can only stress the things I've said in chat about your creations. I applaud Chris for trying something very tricky with that perspective and pose, and considering the difficulty of the pic, I think there are just a few anatomy issues to be worked in there. Also a really neat, fun concept for a pic. Meteorite story is going solidly. The characterisations and dialogue are great, and I like how the scene has that bit of hanging letdown, yet it still feels necessary for the story.

As for me, I started work on the prelude to my instrumental album, and in about two hours, I got very close to how I envision the final arrangement of it. It's cheekily called Aero-Prelude. So, if you want a rough preview of how the album sounds like so far, listen to that, immediately followed by The Arrival and Second Day.

Right now, I'm undecided whether I should carry on writing the other tracks (the pieces above should amount to about half of the album; yes, it's gonna be a a long one), or if I'm going to fix and finish the arrangement of those pieces, do all the mixing and mastering and release them as "part one" of the album. I guess it will depend on how my creativity flows in the next couple of weeks (and, after all, I still have to work on my band's recordings from December), but I'm very proud of what I've done so far. It's safe to assume the album is coming together more convincingly than I ever invisioned it way back in 2016, with the right mixture of inspiration, emotion, confidence and application of the knowledge I've gained in the last few years. I love this project.
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:20 am

Thank you! Remember, everyone's always welcome to point out anatomy problems (whether or not I'm able to fix them is a different matter). I can tell that the Joker's left hand is a bit too big, and there are some issues with his left arm as well.

@Alex: another really enjoyable chapter. Your descriptions are good without being verbose, and plenty of lines made me chuckle. Like I said before, I don't know what Maud is like on the show, but you've given her a very solid characterisation. Like apparently everyone else, I like how this part ended.

@Fernie: I wish I could give your piece a re-listen, but unfortunately I can't at the moment. Still, I thought it was great when I listened to it yesterday.

As for your query... my own choice would probably be to wait until you can release the full album (you know that's what your fans would prefer), though I definitely feel the temptation to split it up. Like we said yesterday, it all boils down to your decision in the end.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:15 pm

I realised I've drawn a lot of pictures of women getting assaulted or tormented by men, so in the interest of equality, I drew Simon Belmont getting uncomfortable advances from Medusa.

The scent of poison in the air
So still, but you see her moving hair.
Infecting venom overwhelms
The room begins to quake.

You made the choice to fight
That door closed long ago
You cannot run away
No, no, not yet
No way

You feel the Stalker's eyes.

(The Megas, "Stalker")

EDIT: Clean-up.
Attachments
you have the stalker's eyes.jpg
Last edited by c_nordlander on Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Nidotamer
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Nidotamer » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:05 pm

"ARE YOU ON A DIET? YOU CAN TELL ME!"
Attachments
dietto2.png
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
---- Harry Potter and the Portrait of what Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:40 pm

The b/w version was already great, and the colouring makes it even better. Very clear and show-appropriate. The only nitpick I have is that Alex's hair looks very garish, being so bright; the rest of the picture is fairly dark, making me feel her hair should be in the shadow and a bit darker as well. But that might not be what you intended. Anyway, it's a small nitpick.

Fanworks about Alex are pretty rare, so I appreciate them.

The caption makes it hilarious.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:15 am

It might just look lighter because of the coloured outline. Since this is basically a parody/redraw of something and the character she's in place of has coloured-outline hair!

From this bit in particular: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNQBMs-inVg (warning, marked "for kids"... you'd soon see that's absolute bs)
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
---- Harry Potter and the Portrait of what Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:13 am

The Simon and Medusa pic is really well executed, and a very cool and chilling idea too. The details, expressions and anatomy look very convincing. Your improvement is very visible, Chris, and I applaud your dedication not only to your self-improvement, but in putting the most effort in executing your great ideas. :)

The diet pic is really hilarious, and I loved it already before knowing the context. Like Chris, I also highly approve of Alex fanwork. I think the garishness of her bright hair is a direct result of the original scene, so I think it's appropriate. From what I've seen of this show, it doesn't seem exactly focused on nuance and balance?

Turns out I also have pics to show this time; these are two illustrations made to accompany two shorts stories I intend to publish in the next few weeks. Diálogo ("Dialogue") and Leonel and Valéria, part 3. I intend to translate and post those stories here in the near future.
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:58 pm

Thank you very much! I've had that image in the back of my head for a while; I'm happy I was able to do it justice.

I like both your drawings. "Diálogo" has some very life-like poses, and the cat picture is sweet, with a good job on the cat-carrier.

Looking forward to reading the stories. You got my interest with the pictures.

PS., I've listened to "Second Day" a few times now, and the music simply makes me happy. I'm not surprised that it's based on a story (well, a true story): it has that soundtrack feel to it. Full marks.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:15 pm

Here we look in on one of our superpowered siblings' training sessions. Lisa, of course, has no trouble handling the weights. Maggie, basically being made of hard rubber, is able to manage. Bart...not so much.
Attachments
weight training.png
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:24 am

Genius. Hilarious idea, and the execution is very on-model.

It's funny, you're actually making me warm to Stretch Dude and Clobber Girl Enter the Collector Desperately Xeeking Xena. I was never a fan of the actual segment (I think superheroes are a bit off mission for THoH, and the actual story felt pretty meh to me), but your future-continuity would make a great spinoff cartoon or a comic.
Last edited by c_nordlander on Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:11 am

c_nordlander wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:24 am Genius. Hilarious idea, and the execution is very on-model.

It's funny, you're actually making me warm to Stretch Dude and Clobber Girl Enter the Collector Desperately Xeeking Xena. I was never a fan of the actual segment (I think superheroes are a bit off mission for THoH, and the actual story felt pretty meh to me), but your future-continuity would make a great spinoff cartoon or a comic.
That does me really good to hear, Chris! I've always had a bit of a weakness for superhero episodes myself, and exploring where things could go is quite fun, so it's good to know I'm managing to hook others along the way. If I had the gumption, focus, and drawing speed to finish within my lifetime, I'd probably try something a bit more long-form.
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!