Venture Movie announced

Talk about whatever you like here!
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Venture Movie announced

Post by gkscotty » Wed May 12, 2021 7:58 pm

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Re: Venture Movie announced

Post by SirMustapha » Wed May 12, 2021 8:38 pm

Okay, that is good. Very good.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Wed May 12, 2021 10:21 pm

Venture and Metalocalypse! Someone at Adult Swim grew a brain cell!
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Wed May 12, 2021 11:01 pm

Finally!

I was running here to post this, but I am slow. This is awesome!
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Thu May 13, 2021 1:00 pm

Yes please.

Ve just vant closure!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Tue May 18, 2021 6:06 am

Pretty excited about this!
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:25 pm

Rambling, review-ish thoughts on Radiant Is the Blood of the Baboon Heart:

The short of it: I'm very happy with it. I don't think it was *quite* as funny as the show at its best, but part of that might be the bigger format and more higher-stakes plot. Which is good.

On the other hand, it doesn't quite feel as the crowning triumph to put a definite end to the show. It does give closure to a lot of things, but if you come into it expecting some super epic MCU rubbish just because it's a feature film, you'll probably be disappointed. (Which you shouldn't expect from VB anyway, but then, there are all sorts of people on the internet.) Except the visuals: they are a clear step up from the original show, doing full justice to some really cool action and technology scenes. Hank's psychedelic vision at the old Compound was a visual high spot.

Yes, yes, I'll get straight to the "where was MY favourite character?" Actually, I won't, because we know by now that the writers could never fit in all the major characters and do justice to them in a single film. Instead, I'll say what I did like in terms of character focus:

I like that the plot focused on a showdown between Rusty and the Monarch. Don't get me wrong, I love the various characters and detours this show has taken... but it did kind of Kingdom Hearts out from just being about a super-scientist on a compound and the butterfly-themed villain plotting against him. This film returned to the basics, after so many seasons of the Monarch being prevented from arching Rusty for one reason or other, and mad respect for that.

I like that we finally got a good outing for Dr. Orpheus and J-T (even if the Alchemist only got to appear in one scene). I like that we got a lot of moments between Hank and Dermott: their friendship was always one of the simple, wholesome, likable things about this show, and I'm happy it never decided to subvert it. I like that Sheila and 21 got big parts in the plot, seeing that it was focused on the Monarch. I like that Red Death had an important role: he was always my favourite of the New York cast. (Though he's never become quite as funny to me as he was in his first appearance, where it seemed like he just alternated between "sweet old guy" and "torture-happy psycho" completely effortlessly.) I like that we finally got to see Hunter Gathers (together with a bunch of other OSI agents): he didn't have a huge role, but he was on form. Hunter-focused spinoff when?

I was delighted that the Monarch got to use his "Feel the sting of the Monarch!" line again. (I would also have been satisfied with, "The Monarch spins his deadly web!")

I was honestly expecting HELPeR to play a more important role, given that so much of the plot hinged on the HelperPods. Not sure how I feel about the fact that he didn't. HELPeR was always a bit of a weird character to me, since he's just sort of... there. A superscientist has to have a robotic companion, so he does. It means that HELPeR could basically be either shunted off completely, or turn out to be the MacGuffin of a massive story arc (see the S7 opening episodes), and it still kind of works. So I can't say I'm disappointed, just vaguely surprised.

On a character note: let's talk about Mantilla/
Spoiler
I've always felt that one yardstick of the quality of a spinoff movie is whether it takes the risk of introducing new major characters. The Futurama movies... didn't, up until the fourth. The Simpsons movie did. I found Cargill bland, but hey, they took that risk. By and large, I found Mantilla great as a new antagonist, though I'm also a bit frustrated by her.

To start with the great... okay, elephant in the room. I've never felt that VB was a sexist show (OFF and Futurama have offended me a lot more in that regard). It was always a bit low on female characters, but that's because it's an homage to old Boy's Own stories and adventure cartoons, which were always pretty homosocial. But... there were some things I couldn't help noticing. Like how Triana got written out, or how Sirena
Spoiler
and then got written out. Or how Molotov barely had a dozen lines in "O.S.I. Love You", which was focused on her, and then never appeared again. Or how the Blue Morpho's wife was treated as more of a trophy than an acting subject in the Monarch's backstory (this film actually makes that element a bit less disturbing. I'll be getting to that). Er... there is Warriana, I guess? Who was introduced as a fairly major character... and then wasn't even mentioned in Season 7. Folks, I'm starting to see a theme here about what happens to female characters who aren't voiced by male actors.

So from that perspective, Mantilla was a relief. Sure, she's easy on the eyes and wears a sexy (though not ludicrous) suit, and did have a romantic backstory with the Monarch, but her entire character was refreshingly free from being motivated by sex or romance. (And her outfit actually becomes a little poignant, when you learn what you learn about her.)
Spoiler
I love her creepy, hyper-efficient technology. Making her a bit of a techbro archetype was a stroke of genius; it's the kind of character type that would fit well in the VB universe, and hasn't really appeared so far (well, I guess Billy and Pete kind of are techbros, but they're not good at it).* In short, we got a villain who felt like a legitimate threat escalation, while still fitting well in the universe, and once again, mad props.
Spoiler
At the same time...
Spoiler
Love the scenes with Hank's alter egos. You can tell how much the writers actually love and know their show... sure, most of us would have guessed that Enrico Matassa and The Bat would be there, but detective Hank? RUSSIAN GUYOVITCH? He got consistent laughs from me. The fact that he wore an Adidas tracksuit and was introduced while squatting was mwah.

I feel like they missed a trick by not having Destiny be one of Hank's alters. There is precedent for depicting part of someone's soul as a different gender, after all, and you could hardly say that "she" is less important as a side of Hank than Russian Guyovitch.

The vampire battle was tense and cool, but had nothing to do with any of the plot threads. Which... means it was filler, really. Which is unfortunate, since only the other day I pointed out approvingly that The Venture Brothers don't seem to do filler, even in longer instalments. It did lead up to
Spoiler
So we're finally introduced to the elusive Bobbi St. Simone. And she... turns out to be a normal character. Her backstory was kind of a lot of her being sexually exploited, but she still came off as just a normal person, again not particularly defined by sexiness or romance (well, except insofar as her potential past liaison with Rusty was why the characters sought her out to start with).

Feels pretty iffy hearing a female character refer to a man as an "alpha," even if she was making a low-effort wolf pun. Well, she's an animal conservationist, so I guess she knew what she was talking about.

I mentioned how much the writers clearly care about their lore. This has its good and bad sides. On the good side, it's when they bring back things like Russian Guyovitch (that was, what, Season 2?), or the "Dawn? We're going to see our long-lost sister!" from the S3 finale. On the bad side... sometimes I get the feeling they care more about their lore than we, the viewers, do. So here we have an important character turning out to have a history with Force Majeure, former leader of the Guild of Calamitous Intent... except, I don't care about Force Majeure. I only know his name because the satellite of the Guild is named for him. Possibly the writers realised this and threw in some scenes of him in this film, because he hasn't even appeared on-screen before now. We also got a one-second shot of the Sovereign. It will, however, live on in my heart.
Spoiler
Sheila spent most of her plot wearing nothing but a negligé under her coat. Subtle. Also, while I again like that she got to play an important part in her husband's story, it felt a bit like (after some admittedly cool detective work at the start) she spent most of her plot kind of passive, moving to the next plot point by being rescued or captured. Nothing to do with my ranting about the female characters earlier, it just felt faintly disappointing.
Spoiler
A suitably epic action finale. Everything is back where we began.
Spoiler
Some favourite quotes (quoting from memory, may be mixed up):

RUSTY (trying to convince Dean that Hank will be safe): There was that time he went away, and he'd just gone to find that circus and... oh wait, turns out he was dead in a ditch that time.

BROCK: Follow that... skyscraper!

HANK (seeing Dr. Orpheus in a Zardoz homage): Dr. Orpheus! Why are you dressed like Borat?

Not a line, but I love that the song Mantilla was using to
Spoiler
was titled "Gettin' High".

To their credit, the title did actually refer to something in the film. It wasn't really relevant to the major plots, but still.

The reveal of Hank's and Dean's parentage does put Rusty in a new light:
Spoiler
*Is it me, or does it seem like she could get along well with Hank Scorpio?
Last edited by c_nordlander on Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:00 pm

I really loved the movie for hitting all the right emotional notes. I loved the way the majority of the plots tied up, and I love that the door's open just in case they want more movies/a series revival.

THANK YOU for talking about the show's completely mixed report card on female characters. For every Dr. Girlfriend, we've had *gestures at everyone you mentioned,* and you do wonder if she only lived this long because of doc We've definitely needed a consistent woman on Team Venture forever, too.
Spoiler

Re the ultimate revs here:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Made me want more TBH.
Last edited by missy_misery on Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:55 pm

missy_misery wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:00 pm Made me want more TBH.
Oh, you and me both!

But if this is the end, it ended on a good note.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:05 am

It did indeed!