Futurama coming back... again!

Talk about whatever you like here!
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Futurama coming back... again!

Post by gkscotty » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:18 pm

For real

20 epsiodes, exclusive to Hulu, John DiMaggio not returning.

Honestly? I can't say I care that much. I was ready to be done with Futurama by the time we finished the rewatch, it's on a streaming service I believe I can't subscribe to unless things have changed, and missing a major cast member is enough to totally kill it for me.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Re: Futurama coming back... again!

Post by Stretch_Dude » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:02 am

Yeah, recasting the most popular character is not gonna end well. (Though at least it's apparently just for money reasons.) I might give this a miss as well.
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Enhas
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Enhas » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:25 pm

I don't know what to think to be honest even without the recast.

Recently, I finished another rewatch of Futurama and aside from a handful of episodes the revival was mediocre, with references that were dated when they first aired ("Susan Boil", the Minority Report parody in Law and Oracle which was almost a decade late, etc...) and blatant "today's issues" episodes like Decision 3012. Plus it would likely undo Zoidberg's relatively happy ending from Stench and Stenchability by never mentioning Marianne again (unless they have someone else voice her because I can't see Emilia Clarke coming back) and I freaking loved that.
CROWD: What do you want?
FRY: Fry's dog!
CROWD: When do you want it?
FRY: Fry's dog!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:47 pm

Yeah, Enhas speaks for my feelings on the post-cancellation seasons. I can think of all of two episodes during that era that I whole-heartedly enjoyed.

I'd still be willing to give it a shot, even without DiMaggio, if they promised to ditch the sex jokes, bad taste jokes and topical references and remember that this is supposed to be a nerd humour show, not the poor man's South Park. But do I care enough to pay for Hulu. Ehhh...
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Nidotamer
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Nidotamer » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:20 pm

Don't quote me but been hearing that DiMaggio will be returning after all
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
---- Harry Potter and the Portrait of what Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:58 am

Nidotamer wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:20 pm Don't quote me but been hearing that DiMaggio will be returning after all
Oh, I'm quoting you all right.
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:01 pm

Har de har

well, hopefully that helps things a bit but really, it's kinda asinine it was gonna go without him at all. I mean, VAs shouldn't be so disposible. But then iirc they have way less protections than in-person actors despite not being a whole lot different... as in they're actors for crying out loud. It's like doing an MGS game and not bothering to hire David Hayter to voice Snake and... oh wait.
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:32 pm

Nidotamer wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:01 pm well, hopefully that helps things a bit but really, it's kinda asinine it was gonna go without him at all.
Yeah, this. I have some better feelings about this now, though.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:02 pm

Mhm. I mean, I'd get it if he was outright unable to do the role for whatever reason but otherwise we really shouldn't like, replace VAs. Even then there's kind of an asterisk there.
------
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:16 pm

Quite frankly, obviously just my subjective opinion, but after the shitshow that was the Comedy Central seasons, I just couldn't work up the energy to be offended. The show would have to still mean something to me in order to be ruined forever.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:00 am

I'm pretty excited, but then I liked the Comedy Central seasons just fine.
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"