Cooking!

Talk about whatever you like here!
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Head Bee Guy

Re: Cooking!

Post by Terry Y » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:23 am

Here's something that didn't make me ill.

CHICKEN TACOS

SOFTWARE
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeno and 1 Serrano pepper, diced and seeded
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 tomatoes, crushed*
1 cup chicken stock
About 20 oz cooked chicken breast meat (cook your own, if you can. If not, canned is okay [I used that here.])
1 tbsp kosher salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
0.5 tsp onion powder
6 corn tortillas

TOPPINGS
Whatever you feel like

*TO CRUSH YOU OWN TOMATOES: Cut the tomatoes crosswise. Remove the seeds and membranes. Run through the large holes of a box grater, discarding the skin when done.

HARDWARE
Large saute pan
Knife
Cutting board
Box grater (see above)

PROCEDURE
1. Saute onion, peppers and garlic in vegetable oil, adding a heavy pinch of kosher salt over medium heat. Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes.
2. Add chicken stock, tomatoes and the remainder of the spices.
3. Simmer over low heat for at least three hours.
4. Toast corn tortillas under broiler (or on highest oven setting) until crispy and golden brown. There is a fine line between this and burnt, so pay attention.
5. Top with whatever you feel like (I used cheese and avocado), and enjoy.

No picture this time, but trust me, it turned out great. ;D
"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food." - Julia Child
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:19 pm

Partly inspired by Terry's attempts at poisoning himself, I'm making Elderflower Fizz. It promises to be rather tasty.

recipe is: elderflowers (lots) sugar (lots) water (lots) yeast (not much). Place in a large pan and leave in a coolish place until it's been bubbling for a week, then decant into bottles and leave for a while longer. Watch out for explosions and serve chilled.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive

Post by Terry Y » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:33 pm

Archonix wrote:Partly inspired by Terry's attempts at poisoning himself, I'm making Elderflower Fizz. It promises to be rather tasty.

recipe is: elderflowers (lots) sugar (lots) water (lots) yeast (not much). Place in a large pan and leave in a coolish place until it's been bubbling for a week, then decant into bottles and leave for a while longer. Watch out for explosions and serve chilled.
If it smells or tastes funny in any way, toss it. Trust me, you don't want to drink that stuff.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:04 pm

I seem to be on a winner, though one smaller bottle did end up full of gunk - apparently I didn't sterilise it properly but that's not a surprise. It had perry in it before. Kopparberg.Tasty.

Anyway...

Yes, a winner. The bottles are full and still fermenting away nicely. I'm letting it ferment for a while longer before capping them off. However, I appear to have made one error, and that error is listening to Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. Subsequent internet research has revealed that his recipe is ridiculously explosive, even the modified version I got from the channel 4 website seems remarkably busy, which is why I'm not capping the bottles just yet. If I do, they'll go bang. I can't afford them to go bang. Chris would have a fit.

Anyway, smells nice so far. I can't wait to find out how it tastes.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:51 pm

I got at least one request for a recipe when I cooked the following thing at the meetup. It's a truly delicious meal. The following recipe serves two heartily-appetited adults.

Ricotta dumplings with tomato sauce

For the dumplings:
200 g/7 oz flour (recipe says 00 flour, but ordinary plain flour works well)
225 g/8 oz ricotta cheese
3 egg yolks
30 g/1 oz parmesan, freshy grated
1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
salt and black pepper

For the sauce:
6 tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves
1 chilli (optional, but very tasty)
800 g tinned tomatoes
few basil leaves
salt and black pepper to taste

parmesan cheese (optional)

Mix the flour, ricotta, egg yolks, parmesan, nutmeg and seasoning together in a large bowl to form a soft, moist dough. Knead the dough for 3-5 minutes. Roll it into a long, thin sausage shape, then cut into dumplings about 2 cm long.

Boil up salted water. When it boils, put the dumplings in it and let them cook for 3-4 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the oil and fry the garlic, chilli and basil leaves for 1 minute, then remove the pan from the heat and add the tinned tomatoes. Return the pan to heat, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.

Remove the dumplings from the water (use a slotted spoon, or just pour it all into a colander) and add them to the tomato sauce. Serve.

If desired, serve with grated parmesan.
Last edited by c_nordlander on Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:19 pm

A couple of things I've realised whilst making this Elderflower fizz. I bottled it too soon, far too soon, and I'm having to "burp" the bottles to get the excess gas out so they don't do something silly, like explode everywhere. Also, drinking it while it's still very young is interesting, but it starts to taste more than a bit yeasty when you get near the bottom of the bottle. In possibly related news I've spent most of the last 24 hours feeling incredibly gassy. :) Next time I'll ferment it in a bucket for a while longer before bottling and use something other than bread yeast.

As to the taste... fascinating is the best way to put it. It's still young like I said, so it's not very alcoholic at all and it's incredibly fizzy. It's not overly sweet but it could do with developing a little more flavour before I drink it again.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Gulliver63
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Gulliver63 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:05 am

I scored major points with some simple tandoori chicken and rice tonight. My thanks to my wife Nancy who picked up some tandoori/masala chicken rub in Cincinnati at Jungle Jim's this week - I couldn't find it in Indianapolis in the grocery stores. Just a simple rub on chicken breasts, cooked in oil with two lovely Anaheim peppers (no heat in those). Two cups of brown rice on the side, mixed with soy sauce, and a Barefoot Muscato white wine - what a meal. I cut the slabs of chicken with a sharp knife, put some lemon juice and wine on the filets and they stayed nice and moist. My late father, who was quite a chef in his own regard, would have been proud.

BTW, I do have to credit a chap in the UK who made these as sandwich filets on his YouTube video...I've been wanting to make tandoori chicken for some time, and this guy gave me the info I needed.
"We are today's creatures, locked in tomorrow's double feature..."
David Bowie
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive

Post by Terry Y » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:51 pm

Citrus Brined Pork Chops.

This is the most delicious piece of pork I've ever had.

FOR THE BRINE:
4 cups water
4 cups ice
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
Juice and zest from 1 orange, 1 lemon, and 1 lime
2 tablespoons whole cloves

1. Boil 4 cups water, salt, brown sugar, citrus juice and zest and cloves.
2. After boiling, move the mixture to a 3 quart container, and add the ice to bring down to room temperature.
3. Submerge 3 medium or 2 large pork chops (bone-in or boneless is your choice). Cover and refrigerate for no less than 3 but no more than 24 hours.

After brining, pat the chops dry and cook them anyway you like. I roasted mine for 30 mins at 375. I also roasted some 'taters and made a simple salad. It's all about balance.
Attachments
IMG_1092.JPG
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:10 am

That looks and sounds ludicrously tasty, Terry! I'm going to have to try that.

Also, now I'm hungry.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive

Post by Terry Y » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:40 am

REDNECK MEAL TIME! Blurry pictures to follow!

Cut up a couple'a chickens, and throw some Lawry's Seasoning Salt on 'em! Should look like this.
PROTIP: Season the chicken pieces, then let them sit at room temperature for about 15-20 minutes. Less chance of the flour burning that way.

Add these to some flour: Lawry's Seasoning Salt, ground cumin, and Mrs. Dash.

Should look like this:

Beat up three eggs!

Put oil in an electric skillet (good for controlling the temperature)! It should come about 1/4 of the way up the sides.

Wash the chicken in the eggwash, then put in the flour!

Heat that grease up to 375F/190C!

Cook that chicken for 8 minutes, skin side down! Then, 8 minutes on the other side. Make sure you use a splatter guard, so clean-up is easier!

Blurry goodness!

Serve with cole slaw and green beans. And some blush wine keeps it classy!
Gulliver63

Post by Gulliver63 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:59 am

Man, I'm a chicken eating fool. I use Tony Cachere's cajun seasoning, and I also make tandoori chicken with tandoori chicken rub (this stuff was hard to find in Indianapolis; I had to have Nan pick up some at Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati). I typically use three nice big juicy chicken breasts, putting slices in them with a sharp knife. I add some white wine and lemon juice, and I get really soft, juicy chicken. Maybe serve with some brown rice and some muscato wine. I'm no gourmet chef - I just watch YouTube ::chuckles::
David Bowie
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive

Post by Terry Y » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:06 am

And if you don't know how to cut up a bird, our friend Gordon Ramsay shows us how.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEJSHRSJCn8
Gulliver63

Post by Gulliver63 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:24 am

We also like to make a simplified version of boneless buffalo wings...Nan came up with the idea of cutting the breasts up into smaller "chunks." After cooking you just put them into a bowl with wing sauce and a bit of soy sauce and nuke for 30 seconds - instant buffalo chicken. Much more meat than those teensy buffalo wings.
David Bowie
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive

Post by Terry Y » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:13 am

Had to actually re-check one of my recipies for Thanksgiving Day. Specifically, the butternut squash soup. It's just as good as I remember it! :D

Also made some stuffed mushrooms and helped with...pretty much everything.

Hope everyone else had a good Thanksgiving (or regular Thursday) as well!
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:36 pm

So yesterday I streamed an impromptu cooking show to chat. Mostly it consisted of bacon, product placement (I'm waiting for the cheque fellas!) and my pudgy belly, but I've been asked for the recipe. So:

Spicy Stir-fry Bacon Fridge Crapshoot
(aka "I took everything I could find in the fridge and set fire to it until it was tasty")

Ingredients:
Three or four slices of bacon, chopped into strips
A few "warm" and "spicy" pickled jalapeños
Worcestershire Sauce
Lemon juice
Nutmeg
Cumin
Red Wine
Egg Noodles
Half a bell pepper
Various chopped veggies
Half a salad spring onion (the big fat ones)

Start by chopping your veg into a bowl, then chop your bacon into strips. Get the noodles boiling away. Begin by frying the bacon in olive oil, ghee, butter or whatever oil you like to use. Fry until all the bacon stops sticking to itself, then throw in the rest of the vegetables and continue to turn and toss. Add the jalapeños (you don't need many at all) and a little of the vinegar they were preserved in. Now add a healthy dash of cumin, a little nutmeg, a splash of red wine and the lemon juice and fry a little longer to mix the flavours. By now your noodles are probably about ready but if they aren't, keep gently tossing the fry until they are. Drain the noodles, throw them in the pan and toss for a while longer until everything is nicely mixed.

And done!

Best eaten on camera with a glass of milk.
— Piet Hein - Grooks