Fernie thinks he can draw; cringe ensues

Post your art here! While this is a Simpsons and Futurama website, feel free to post works for other fandoms or original works here as well.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Re: Fernie thinks he can draw; cringe ensues

Post by c_nordlander » Mon May 01, 2017 5:01 pm

I like this a lot. I'm not going to try to improve on Beb's constructive criticism; the main thing that stood out to me is that her arm is too thin. Also, it feels like the curve between her buttocks should be more aligned with the outside curve (on the left). Her hair seems a bit small, but then again, you're drawing in a more realistic style than the show, so that might be appropriate. Other than that, really good (both the anatomy and the pose), and a good example of how to draw a person in their underwear without sexualising them.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:44 pm

I really hoped this one would turn out good, but I'm not very satisfied with the result. I might try to fix it in the future, though.

I had this idea boiling in me during the past couple of days, sparked both by the hysterical anger against art expositions, and by the rise in aggression and violence towards African-Brazilian religions. So I figure I'd do the most "offensive" thing I could think of: Lisa, as a representation of Iansan, warrior of winds and lightning.

... yeah, I really hoped this one would turn out better than this.

NSFW for full nudity
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:09 pm

LISA: Um... isn't this cultural appropriation?

I think this is your best full-body drawing so far! Only things that stand out to me is that her torso looks a bit short (though if she's leaning forward, that might be a perspective thing), and her hands look too small. Her eyes look cross-eyed, but that should be easy to fix. Also, I have some issues with her nose: it's a huge improvement, but the septum should be lower. (Hard to explain; I might knock up a sketch later.)

Other than that, really good and aggressive: a fine example of how nudity isn't necessarily titillating. And like I said, the linework is polished: I have very few comments to make compared to your earlier drawings. So you're definitely making progress. Plus, always fun to see something from outside my cultural sphere.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:22 am

Thanks for the criticism, Chris! I think you nailed all the main points. As soon as I scanned the picture and saw it on the screen, I KNEW something was messed up. Her legs are way too long (I wanted them to look big and strong, and got carried away, I guess), and I didn't get the nose and mouth quite right. But I really like the idea and the way she looks, and I'll make an effort to fix those problems.
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:08 am

SirMustapha wrote:But I really like the idea and the way she looks, and I'll make an effort to fix those problems.
Rightfully so, this really is your best drawing (that I've seen!) by far.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:32 am

So I decided to draw some (totally not) fanservice... though the choice of subject may not be that orthodox.

Link. NSFW: mild nudity and language.

EDIT: Of course, only now I look and realise his left leg looks wrong. I tried to make it look like it was bent forwards, and... I have no idea what that actually looks like.
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:01 pm

The dialogue made me chuckle a lot, and the art is clean and pretty on-model, with a great expression. Things I notice that need improvement: Bart's head should be bigger, as should his hands and feet (I realise his right foot might be foreshortened, but it still doesn't look quite right.) On the upside, I like your design for an adult Bart's body: not particularly in shape, but not a copy of Homer's body either, and it just generally looks realistic.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Nidotamer
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Nidotamer » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:46 pm

Bartservice is plenty welcome in my book... I'd do it more if I was any good at drawing dudes.

Though now I'm wondering who exactly he's talking to. My bet is either Sherri, Terri or maybe Jessica.:P Especially with the flowery font at the end.
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
---- Harry Potter and the Portrait of what Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:44 pm

Thanks for the comments, folks! I must say I'm making a timid attempt at colouring that pic, and I'm taking your concrit in consideration, Chris.

My original intent is that the speech is coming from myself, but to think that he's posing for another character to draw him is a great interpretation as well! ;D I like things that keep you wondering...
-- Falcão
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:36 pm

In spite of the busy schedule, I managed make this drawing. This was inspired by a conversation about the meaning of the word "lisa" in Portuguese and Spanish. Her outfit and expression were both taken from Lisa's Wedding.
Smooth.jpg
-- Falcão
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:50 pm

So after wanting to go back to drawing for months now, I decided to think of an idea that wasn't too difficult to execute, but still had to do with me and something I find nice. So here's Pinkie Pie trying chimarrão (or "mate") for the first time.

P.S.: I was too lazy to turn on the scanner, so I just took a picture of the drawing with my phone.
Attachments
chimarrao.jpg
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:02 pm

Looks very good (and the picture quality isn't bad for a phone). Her head's a bit big, but otherwise she looks on-model to me, and I think you've done a good job with the foreshortening of her body. Also, the thought balloon is great.

And now I'm thinking I want some mate. We still have a bag in the cupboard...
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:44 pm

Thank you, Chris! Yes, I think you're right about her head, though this one would be impossible to fix on paper. It could be done if I try colouring this.

Steve noticed in chat that her legs were lopsided. Also, I completely forgot the tail! So I fixed those problems, and now properly scanned it.
Attachments
chimarrao_new.jpg
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:23 pm

Much better! And yeah, I can't blame you about the head. Proportion errors like that are really hard to fix.

As a newb artist myself, I find it funny how one can make piss-easy mistakes (like forgetting the tail) that you would instantly notice if you weren't the artist. For example, when I drew my heraldry, I originally had it facing the wrong way, something that would immediately stand out to me if I'd seen it in a book of heraldry (unless you have two figures facing each other, figures on heraldry should always face dexter, i.e. to the right of the person holding the shield [the audience's left], or they are considered to be fleeing from the enemy). Or when I drew Leela in space marine armour and gave her a helmet with two eye holes.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:58 am

And this is how I celebrate my first day of paid vacations. Yes, this is 70's Genesis. As ponies. Ponesis.

It's looks sketchy as hell, because, honestly, I started doing this just as a sketch, just to test if I could approximate their faces, and I just kept going and I found the result hilarious. From left to right, they're Mike Rutherford, Steve Hackett, Peter Gabriel, Philly Phil Collins and Pony Tony Banks.
Attachments
Ponesis.jpg
-- Falcão