Lump

Post your art here! While this is a Simpsons and Futurama website, feel free to post works for other fandoms or original works here as well.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Re: Lump

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:34 pm

First of all, thank you so much for drawing this, and going to the trouble of posting your art process as well. I really am a noob at art, and I didn't do myself any favours by picking such a difficult pose, though I'm still happy I did it.

Tilting her body does indeed make the picture more dynamic, and the fire is a huge improvement. Great hands as well (in my drawing, I figured her guns would obscure her hands due to the strong foreshortening, but I was probably wrong). In fact, everything looks great. One nitpick (not an artistic one, and I'm not blaming you for not knowing it) is that she should be wearing very bulky, heavy armour, like this guy, and in general be *very* heavily built, even more than any human body-builder in the present day. On the upside, you got her face and hair just about exactly right.

Thank you again. I'll try to use your sketching method to get better at art.

(I'll be back to review your other art as well, but this was worth breaking sequence over.)
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
kaspired
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by kaspired » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:51 am

Cool! Glad you got something out of this set. The pose is kinda tweaky, using the side view and projecting it forward helps quite a lot.
I stayed away from any super details, those can still be added. Also I didn't do any real shading, but the drawing is on the verge of a serious shading fest.
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:21 am

I have another favorite show now. (Thanks, Netflix)

"Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts" is great. I won't go into any real detail now, I don't want to ruin the surprises. But a couple of clues, one of her main opponents is a six foot tall frog wearing a black suit and tie. She meets a pair of guitar playing snakes. Oh, and the dogs are fifty feet tall and have eight legs. Really!

Burrow Girl 1
Burrow Girl 1
The main cast of characters (cruddy sketch, sorry) Left to right: Mondu (mutated pig), Dave (mutated insect), Kipo (human, and the main character), Benson (human and survivor on the surface world), finally "Wolf" (not her real name, also a survivor on the surface world).

Burrow Girl 2
Burrow Girl 2
Meet Kipo. She's just captured a giant two headed pink flamingo.
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:00 am

S'more Kipo:
Burrow Girl 3
Burrow Girl 3
Wolf, on an old BMX bike with Kipo, and Mondu on the back being chased by Jamack, the frog in a black suit. Jamack, and an accomplice, are on a car being pulled by a giant dragonfly.

Really!
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:00 am

Wolf, Kipo, and Mondu have escaped from the Frogs and are sitting on a branch hanging off a hill.

Burrow Girl
Burrow Girl
Only it's not a hill. They're on the shell of a giant turtle, which is lumbering away.
Last edited by kaspired on Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:41 pm

Been a while since I checked in here. Lots of good stuff!
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:52 pm

I just never know what to say whenever I see your pictures. They're just so high quality and beautiful. Suffice to say, I've been enjoying them quite a lot, even not knowing the source material.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:53 am

Archonix wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:41 pm Been a while since I checked in here. Lots of good stuff!
Nice to hear from you again. It's been like for-ever.
SirMustapha wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:52 pm I just never know what to say whenever I see your pictures. They're just so high quality and beautiful. Suffice to say, I've been enjoying them quite a lot, even not knowing the source material.
Cool! That makes my whole week. Usually I try to do something different in each drawing, and all those little tricks add up. This time I was concentrating on the background. I wanted a fuzzy out of focus look.
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:50 am

This goes into the category "And now for something completely different."

Have I ever told you that I'm really awful at inking? I'm sure I have, yes, yes, quite sure. Actually "sucks" is a better description.

I picked up a book about inking for comic books. Want to see my second attempt? (My first is pretty poor, I'll spare you.)

Ghost Inks
Ghost Inks
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:48 pm

Look what I found!

Funko Bean
Funko Bean
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:29 pm

S'more Kipo. This is her very first appearance. Kipo's reaction to seeing the surface world is pretty funny.

Burrow Girl, Again
Burrow Girl, Again
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:55 pm

Finally getting around to catching up on my backlog:

Vine Raven: looks very nice to me, and I love the retro materials you used. The shading is very artistic, and even though I don't know a whole lot about Raven, even I can tell that her looks and expression are right. (Off topic, but does anyone else think Raven looks similar to Triana from The Venture Brothers? Which is funny, because Triana's boyfriend is actually named Raven.)

Catra: drawn to your usual high standards and looks suitably fierce, with a nice helmet and ears.

Airplane art: first of all, that's great (flying, and getting more reference material for your art). All the drawings look great to me, but I'm particularly fond of the one of Starfire in the cockpit: it's just really dynamic and has a nice expression. And the colouring on the last one is beautiful.

Cookie Monster: the Simpsons characters are on-model; you've still got it, for sure. Abe's face looks a bit asymmetrical, but other than that I can't see any errors (well, from a colouring perspective Krusty's hair is rather dark, but that's a very minor nitpick). The final version has very nice colouring and shading.

Cloudscape: very nice work, both the satellite and the clouds. I'm really intrigued by depictions of technology (like this and your plane pics), because that's the kind of thing I want to learn to draw as well.

Stairway to Hell: more Disenchantment art! Sadly haven't seen the episode yet, but it's a great picture, and Bean in the devil suit is incredibly cute. Her wall-eyed expression is perfect. The background isn't incredibly complex or anything, but adds quite a bit of atmosphere.

Captain Oona: Oona is probably my favourite character on the show, and this is one badass pose. I was going to say "her head looks a bit too pointy," but looking at screenshots, it really is at least almost that pointy on the show (I guess it makes sense, she's not human, after all). Her hair is beautiful, and the outfit and background are both very nice.

Crossover Catra/Leela: This is great! Her right foot looks a bit too big (and a bit oddly shaped), and her arms are very long (this is coming from someone who always gets arms too long), but everything else is perfect: outfit, face, hair, the lot. The shading is great, making it look almost coloured.

Rayla/Leela: Everything here is lovely, especially her outfit, and her expression seems very Leela. Again, her arms are just a bit long, and it's possible that her skull seems a bit flat. Other than that, it looks absolutely great, and the shading is as nice as on the Catra one.

The Kiss: very sweet tribute to a beautiful artwork. Lovely expression on Rayla, and you've done a great job on the gold background.

Schvi: oh, nice cybernetic technology and lots of detailed everything. Your colouring really shines here, especially the shading on the metal bits.

The other sketches from the show also look cute, and professional as always. I particularly like the third one, but they're all very good.

Will review more when I have the time. Rest assured, your art is very good, and I'd say you're even better than you were a year or so ago.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:07 pm

Hi Chris, First let me say "Wow!" You put more work into this review than I do on some of my drawings. I needed to read this a couple of times.

Some comments:
B-17 and Starfire: Several people on DA said the same thing. It was a tough decision which to use. Also on a somber note, that very same plane crashed and burned. There were several major injuries and fatalities...
B-24 and Abe: Abe is actually very subtle. Notice who he's looking at? You, the viewer! The whole idea is to invite the viewer into the drawing.
The Kiss: Ah, the background, great googley mooglie! Total experiment. I used gold paint, then came back with acrylic paints, and reworked the markers a couple of times.
Schvi: I like that drawing! It just clicked. This is a minor detail but it became a serious difference. I used different paper than usual. It's on bristol board, not illustration paper. The colors seem much more vibrant. (BTW, image size is 8 3/4 x 17 inch [er, 22.25 x 43.2 cm for you metric people] and a mere 40 different colors.)

Really glad to hear the last comment. On each drawing I try to sneak in something different/new. Guess that's helping. Couldn't have anything to do with practice, nope, no way no how...
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:12 pm

kaspired wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:07 pm B-17 and Starfire: Several people on DA said the same thing. It was a tough decision which to use. Also on a somber note, that very same plane crashed and burned. There were several major injuries and fatalities...
Oh, I saw you mentioned that later in the thread. Very tragic, and extra disturbing for that to happen to a plane you've flown.

Looking forward to commenting on more of your art when I have the time! It's seriously great.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:47 am

COVID-19 Shelter in place

Yep, you read that right. I live in the San Francisco Bay, California area and several counties here have ordered a mandatory shelter in place until April 7th. The county I live in is under the order, as well as the other county I work in. I have food/living supplies ready, as well as art supplies. But want to know what my biggest worry is?

Boredom...

I can't go ride my bike, I can only watch so much TV, Splesch! The only upside? LOTS of time to draw.

Kipo and Jamack 1
Kipo and Jamack 1
Miko 1
Miko 1