Lump

Post your art here! While this is a Simpsons and Futurama website, feel free to post works for other fandoms or original works here as well.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Re: Lump

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:13 pm

Tails!

These are as great as all your stuff. Anatomy and line-art look great, and the colouring is very attractive (love that flowery kimono). If I have one nitpick, it's that the one-horned dragongirl's tail looks like it would be better a tiny bit higher up. That's a tiny problem, though. These are excellent.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
kaspired
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by kaspired » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:04 pm

Well, let me (hopefully) fry your mind...

Split Screen
Split Screen
Confused? Good.

Hang on... I can hear it already everybody inhaling for the inevitable "Wha-a-a?"

This is not one, but two views superimposed over each other. But not in the normal left-right split screen.

I was inspired by some poor TV reception. The digital info couldn't keep up and I was looking at as many as three or four images. At first it was frustrating. But on second thought was this is cool! How can I do that?

Split Screen Alt
Split Screen Alt
This is the remains of the sacrificial drawing. I drew a grid on the back, took an X-Acto knife then proceeded to slice and dice the poor thing. What I cut off this I attached to the other drawing.
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:08 pm

I love these more experimental artworks of yours. My brain is indeed a bit fried, but still, very cool!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:47 am

Guess it's been awhile... As the Professor will say: "Good News Everyone!"

Anybody remember this drawing I did a few years ago?

My Neighbors Backyard
My Neighbors Backyard

I've submitted it to be shown!

The big deal is where I submitted it to. This isn’t a Mom-and-Pop gallery, this is big time. If I’m accepted into the show this will be a serious game changer.
I’m a nervous wreck, but ecstatic at the same time, and still jumping up and down.

Originally I wasn’t going to say where, because nobody will believe me.

Why this drawing? Simple. It’s probably one of the only drawings of mine that isn’t “Fan-Art”. The definition of “Fan-Art” is Art based on other Art. It’s not “original”. Ye-ah…

I’ve shown my drawings to “real” artists and get that look down their nose and the dreaded “Those…” Whenever I show a drawing to a new person, I’m watching their reaction. Usually, I can tell right away if they’re really interested or not. Excited, and I’ll show more. Cold shoulder and I won’t waste any more of their time.

More'n likely I'll get the "Thanks but no thanks" letter. But just in case...

Anyway, enough of that. I’m starting to ramble.

Wanna know where? Here:

Acknowledgement of Submittal
Acknowledgement of Submittal

That’s The De Young! Yes, really! This is a world class venue. Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, California! I’ve seen Picasso shows there.

THIS De Young:

https://www.famsf.org/
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:35 pm

Already commented on this on dA, but best of luck! It's a very good piece, and I'd love for you to have it exhibited.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:01 am

'Bout time I posted something here, been slacking...

I'm reading a book series called "Made in Abyss". Pretty good, but with one warning. It's on the "very" violent side, and the main character is a 12 year-old girl. So brace yourself.

Meet Nanachi, one of the main characters. She describes herself as a "Hollow". As in a mere hollow shell of the human she used to be.

Nanachi 1
Nanachi 1
Black and white conte, main drawing is about 8 1/2 x 11 on 11 x 14" grey paper.

Nanachi A
Nanachi A
Black and white charcoal, main drawing about 8 1/2 x 11 on 11 x14" grey paper.

I'm really liking the artwork. It's done differently. Instead of black ink on white paper, it's black and white on grey paper. Totally different feel.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:10 pm

Ooh, that book/manga is one of the things I really want to read.

Both look good, of course, and it's cool to see you working with black and white crayon (I've always liked that style). First one looks almost like something out of Labyrinth or some cool children's book. Very pretty.

Glad you haven't left us. I've seen some really good art of yours over on dA, I just rarely manage to find the energy to comment.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:58 am

Welp, I'm still on the "Made In Abyss" series. So far, I've focused on the 'nice' side of the story. But there is a vicious, graphic, explicit aspect also. Time to explore the nasty side.
Brace yourselves, it's tough...

Meet Riko, the main character. A happy go lucky, everything is roses, 12-year-old. Notice her glasses and whistle? They're important in the overall story line, but not for this sequence. This is her pre-adventure:

Riko 1
Riko 1

Things aren't always sunshine and happiness. On the trip into the abyss Riko and her traveling companion, named Reg, are attacked by a monster. The monster has spikes like a porcupine only VERY poisonous. Riko is in for a world of hurt.

Riko 2
Riko 2

The monster is still attacking, Reg is desperate to escape. He does but the poison had time to attack Riko. Riko is not doing well....
(Get ready, this is one of the gross bits...)

Riko 3
Riko 3

Riko's hand is swollen, the poison is hard at work, they decide to amputate her hand. Remember they have no real medical equipment, nobody to call for help, nothing. Riko is on the verge of death. In desperation Reg breaks her forearm.
(Get ready, another gross bit...)

Riko 4
Riko 4

In the last-minute rescue arrives! (For the stories sake I won't say who, how, or why, but the 'rabbit' ears are a serious clue.) The poison is contained, the next step is a home-made sling to brace the broken bones.

Riko 5
Riko 5

Finally, well for lack of a better description, magic mushrooms are applied to Riko's wrist. These suck out the remaining poison and help heal the broken bones. She does have permanent damage, the only functional digit on her hand is her thumb.

Riko 6
Riko 6

Gah, a couple of these drawings were insane to draw. Jeeze, I'm actually pretty squeamish and don't do well with blood splatter and gore kinda things. I do have a colored drawing in the works. It's definitely not number 3 or 4.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:46 pm

Sorry for the delay, had a busy week. You're just convincing me even more that I need to read this...

Really impressive sequence, like all your art. I like that you're not afraid of drawing gory scenes, and pushing our own boundaries in art/fiction can be useful. The first two are a tiny bit unfinished, but I love the clean line-art you have. 3 and 4 manage to be viscerally gruesome while still having a cartoony sensibility to them. I'm glad that you included a couple showing Riko being healed. The return to the clean line-art works great there.

I'm really jealous of your art skills, you know.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:23 pm

c_nordlander wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:46 pm Really impressive sequence, like all your art. I like that you're not afraid of drawing gory scenes, and pushing our own boundaries in art/fiction can be useful. The first two are a tiny bit unfinished, but I love the clean line-art you have. 3 and 4 manage to be viscerally gruesome while still having a cartoony sensibility to them. I'm glad that you included a couple showing Riko being healed. The return to the clean line-art works great there.

I'm really jealous of your art skills, you know.
Jealous? Of me? Nah, I'm a nobody...

Here goes, as threatened, the color version of Riko.

Poisoned
Poisoned
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:17 pm

Great colouring! Good, moody contrast between the bright colours and the dark/greyscale background.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:43 am

c_nordlander wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:17 pm Great colouring! Good, moody contrast between the bright colours and the dark/greyscale background.
Ah, that background... It's changed quite a bit from the original concept. At first, I was thinking of some dramatic abstract linework but decided to do something more correct to the book series. I'm still impressed with the use of grey with black and white tones. A subtle detail is the tip of the poison barb. It's in the exact center of the drawing.
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:57 am

Remember a couple months ago I submitted a drawing for a museum show? Finally have an answer.

Am I in or am I out? Do I break out the champaggen or drown my sorrows?

Well… I have the dreaded “Thanks but no thanks” reply. I’m out.
I’m still processing this event, not really quite sure what to think or say. In the back of my mind I always felt this was going to be the end result. But the optimist in me said “Go for it! Nothing to lose.”

Meh, back to the artistic grindstone…
Submittal Result
Submittal Result
I do want to acknowledge everybody here for the support. My drawing received an insane amount of page views in a relatively short amount of time. I'm astonished. Thanks y'all.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:40 pm

Ah, rejection letters... want to know a secret? It never gets much easier. All you can do is get more wins to balance out your rejections. Does it help that I thought your artwork was great?

You didn't chicken out of sending it, that's what matters.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:58 am

Anybody want a quick drawing lesson? Particularly how to draw a circle only with a straightedge/ruler and a pencil? No templates or “insert-circle-here” tabs. Hopefully along the way I’ll fry a couple of brains.

Quick note usually I draw the layout lines super faint, I can see them, but my scanner can’t. So, I needed to draw everything darker than usual.

Circle Study 1
Circle Study 1

Number 1: Base axis drawing. A vertical and horizontal, then a mark at whatever distance is planned on.

Number 2: Freehand in the arcs. Note the lines have to leave the axis perpendicular and finish perpendicular. I draw a quarter of the circle at a time. I left out the last section just for show.

Number 3: How not to do it. Wrong, wrong, just wrong! One section is squished in and the other bulges out.

Number 4: A variation on a theme. What if one axis was longer than the other? Ellipses happen!

Number 5: Another variation. What if there are two vertical axis?

Number 6: This!

This drawing is part one. There are 6 more steps and there might be bit of a surprise it where it takes me.