Lump

Post your art here! While this is a Simpsons and Futurama website, feel free to post works for other fandoms or original works here as well.
AssistantCrone
Sub-sector Control Officer

Re: Lump

Post by AssistantCrone » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:45 pm

Excellent! I don't think I've seen an aged cyclops face before, and you've done this one really well. The general face-floppiness is realistic but still Groening-y, and I love how you've drawn her eye through that thick chunk of glass. Looking forward to the Amy drawing.
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
kaspired
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by kaspired » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:44 pm

Cool!

Glad you caught the eye through the glass(es?) bit.  I've drawn glasses like that before but people seem to not understand what happening.  Still haven't quite figured out how a single lens nose piece works.

Oh well...

Amy?  I have to warn you, this isn't a pleasing comfortable feel good kind of drawing.  It started out the same idea as "Granny", but went off on a totally different tangent.  The concept was with all the fun times she's had, something went horribly wrong.  Brace yourself...

You've been warned.
Attachments
committed Amy.jpg
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.
AssistantCrone

Post by AssistantCrone » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:54 pm

First, futuristic wheelchair ftw. Second, this is original and intriguing and I wish I'd thought of it. ;D Extra points for having something horrific happen to Amy without resorting to any obvious angst.

Concrit: brilliant as her facial expression is, there's something off about the construction of her head. It looks like her ear's coming out the back of her neck -- perhaps shifting the head right a bit would help join it up properly -- and if I imagine construction lines on her face, her right eye's too high. Apart from that, I'm still goggling at the awesomeness so I can't be of much help. :fry
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:17 pm

Wow, I'm flattered.  (excuse me for a minute, I need to go and blush...)  (there, i'm back.)

The eye was bugging me, but coudn't decide what the problem was.  I didn't even catch the ear error.  Both easy fixes.

I have to admit I wasn't expecting a positive reaction.  (relieved!)  I was bracing for an onslaught. 

Thanks
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:22 pm

kaspired wrote: Another little something.

Sorry about the cruddy piece of paper I had to use.  I've been away on a work trip and the only paper I could find was this.

:leela

Now that's different. Something a lot of artists are afraid to tackle (including me). You've really caught the image of contented old age here. :)
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:25 pm

Thanks!  I was worried about these two drawings...
AssistantCrone

Post by AssistantCrone » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:49 pm

Why was that?
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:24 pm

In particular I was concerned about the Amy drawing.  It's not the normal expected "pin-up" version.  The Leela "Granny" I could see her settling down and baking cookies but when I went after "Granny" Amy it went in a totally different vein.  I tried about three or four different reasons for her being on the chair.  Some of the ideas were a mental overload, another a leg problem, or a drug overdose, cancer (no hair), y'know vicious kind of things.  I don't do "cute" drawings very well but then again something this harsh was tough. 

By the way, my new years resolution was to get out of the same old drawing ruts and try some new subject matters.  These two shook things up a little bit and were a good start.

Think I will go ahead and finish these.

This was probably a longer answer than you expected, sorry 'bout that.

Next I'll have to design a wheel-less wheel chair... 
AssistantCrone

Post by AssistantCrone » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:34 pm

Aha. Well, 'round these parts, shrieks of 'eww it's not pretty!' get treated with the contempt they deserve. Fanservicey stuff is fine, but it's not the rule, particularly with a show as hilariously disturbing as Futurama.

In my opinion, the Amy pic is harsh, but not pointlessly so. The plots you mention are darker than the show usually gets, but that's no big deal. The important thing is that it takes her character into account, is interesting, and leaves room for humour.

Next I'll have to design a wheel-less wheel chair... 
Theory: whatever nuthouse she's in won't let anybody hover. ;D
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:46 pm

Nah, she's a hundred and seventy and living on a post-apocalyptic mars, where she rules Mount Olympos with a titanium walking cane with a fist on the end. She's in a wheelchair because she tripped and fell down the crater after a perfectly executed sub-orbital acrobatic synchronised paradive.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:55 pm

Archonix wrote: Nah, she's a hundred and seventy and living on a post-apocalyptic mars, where she rules Mount Olympos with a titanium walking cane with a fist on the end. She's in a wheelchair because she tripped and fell down the crater after a perfectly executed sub-orbital acrobatic synchronised paradive.
"Dang fool kids! Git offa my hemisphere!"
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:23 am

Man, you guys' answers are more fun to read than anything I could come up with...
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:13 pm

The "Granny Turanga" picture looks very good, though there's something off with her mouth I don't really know how to express, and I think the wrinkles on her neck should sag more. Other than that, very sympathetic-looking and nice picture. I particularly like the effect with her pupil being split through the side of her glass.

The Amy picture is pretty much... wow! She's a lot more on-model than a lot of your previous art (Beb already pointed out the ear problem), and the wheelchair is a marvel of Futurama-style engineering. She should do some racing in that one. Her expression is great.

Also, I like the yellow paper you're using for your sketches.

Oh, and let me just second what Beb said: this isn't the kind of board where people will whine just because you draw Amy and Leela looking like something other than pretty-pretty Playboy foldouts. If people want fanservice, I'm sure they might be able to find some throughout the rest of the Internet.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:39 pm

Sounds good.  Everybody seems to be pleased with these, in particular Amy.  That's the one I was really worried about.  I'll go ahead and finish 'em.

You liked the yellow paper?  I used it only because of desperation and that was all I could find.  I was almost ready to use a paper towel or a napkin...
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:47 pm

Lookit!  I do fan art!

This fits into the "and now for something completely different" catagory.

Just for reference: balsa wood, brass rods and screw, tape & glue.

Fan b is 10 1/2 x 10 1/2" (27 x 27cm), fan a is 7 x 12" (18 x 31cm)
Attachments
m fan b 4.JPG
m fan a 2.JPG