Lump

Post your art here! While this is a Simpsons and Futurama website, feel free to post works for other fandoms or original works here as well.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Re: Lump

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:08 pm

Glad you enjoyed it, Spirited Away is almost certainly one of the best animated films ever made. Your Chihiro is very on-model: I would have recognised her even if you hadn't given her name. The shading on the first and third one is outstanding (especially the third), and her expression in the second drawing is hilarious. I'm jealous.

I just realised I never commented on your human Loona drawings, but needless to say, they look great. Attractive, dynamic and well shaded.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
kaspired
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by kaspired » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:52 am

I've been remiss! It's been forever since I've posted anything. Sorry, sorry, sorry...

Lately I've been watching live action offerings from Netflix. (My world does consist of more than animated things.)

For example "Sweet Tooth", featuring a live action anthro character. He's a cross between a deer and a human, complete with antlers and wigglie ears. Can you imagine how much time was spent in the make-up chair? Also "Girl From Nowhere" which has the same flavor as "Twilight Zone", creepy suspenseful.

I wanted to get a drawing or two out of all this which set up a bit of a dilemma. I do cartoonie stuff, not real-life portraits. Simple answer, I'll cartoon-ize them.

I picked "Re:mind", where eleven high school girls find themselves at a very formal dinning room with a table set for twelve. But everyone is shackled to the floor and can't leave, they need to figure out what/where/how to escape this predicament. Then the weird stuff start to happen. In spite of some serious over-acting the suspense level is quite high.

Remember these are real people, not the stylized cartoon. I did use the basic anime head shape to start, but from there I concentrated on their specific features.

Re:mind 3
Re:mind 3
Re:mind 5
Re:mind 5
Re:mind 6
Re:mind 6
Re:mind 10
Re:mind 10
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:11 pm

Now this is the kind of art post that makes me jealous. The style looks fairly realistic to me ("cartoonish" or "realistic" are just points on the same spectrum, anyway), and they're all very individualised. The only issue I see is that you've made their heads a bit too tall above the eyes. That's just something that needs practice.

If you were to make an art tutorial, I'd totally use it.

And Re:Mind sounds like the kind of show I'd be interested in. *puts it on her list*
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:50 am

c_nordlander wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:11 pm Now this is the kind of art post that makes me jealous. The style looks fairly realistic to me ("cartoonish" or "realistic" are just points on the same spectrum, anyway), and they're all very individualised. The only issue I see is that you've made their heads a bit too tall above the eyes. That's just something that needs practice.
Hi Chris, Glad you liked these. They were a bit of a challenge.

About the low eyes, I used an anime head base, not the human scaled head. Anime has a tendency to have the top of eyes at/or even below the centerline (sometimes the eyebrow is used) which pushes everything down. I whipped out this quickie sketch to show how different the two styles are.

Anime vs human heads
Anime vs human heads

c_nordlander wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:11 pm If you were to make an art tutorial, I'd totally use it.

And Re:Mind sounds like the kind of show I'd be interested in. *puts it on her list*

Tutorial? Whoa, I'm flattered. I may just do that...

Another show that I'm quite impressed with is on Netflix called "Girl From Nowhere". Kind of a "Twilight Zone" feel, very intelligent, kinda surreal. The main character, name of "Nanno", isn't necessarily the hero or villan but more of an instigator. Weird things do happen, in one episode she gets a guy pregnant. He has to go through all the single mom route.

Nanno sketch
Nanno sketch
(BTW - two hours on this sketch, using the normal B/2B pencils, stump, and an eraser. I wanted to get this one as 'real' as possible. To the point where I didn't want to use any outline.)
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:22 am

I reworked the Anime/Human sketch. Ditched the weird eyes and finished the shading.

Anime vs Human Heads V.2
Anime vs Human Heads V.2

The Nanno drawing is complete. It was tougher than I had thought it'd be. I hadn't planned on doing the color study but I'm glad I did. Some of the color combinations didn't work, and I needed to tweak some of the drawing bits.

Nanno 2
Nanno 2
Nanno Color Practice
Nanno Color Practice

Which leads to this:

Nanno
Nanno
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:21 pm

That's an interesting point, I never noticed that about anime heads (though I guess it differs a bit between artists, like everything else). The shaded version is very nice.

And the Nanno portrait looks great, especially the coloured version.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:08 am

I found a new show called “Centaurworld”. The best description is “Silly.” Every character is some sort of ‘Taur. For example, a fishtaur, a leaftaur, a moletaur, and the wildest is a tornado-taur. Yes, really! A tornado drops out of the sky and develops four legs.
I like the main character “Wammawink”, she’s quite expressive.

Wammawink 1
Wammawink 1
Wammawink 2
Wammawink 2

Everything is great until a horse from the human realm is magically transported to the centaur world. The ‘taurs have never seen a horse. And the gags begin.

Wammawink 3
Wammawink 3
Wammawink 4
Wammawink 4

“What’s a rider? And how does she make it rain?” “Not rain! Reins!”
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:45 pm

Sounds like a great set-up, and your art is good as usual, especially the dynamic poses. The third picture has awesome shading, and the horse looks very good, though it feels like his eyes are a bit oddly placed. That's probably a style thing, though.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:09 am

Back to "Helluva Boss" again...

I went to a Concourse D'Elegance type car show and there is no way I'd let that go without a drawing.

A group study, I needed to decide how tall each one is compared to the others. (This is three separate drawings that I taped together and had professionally scanned. Final size 11 x 26 1/2 inches.)

Car Wash Sketch
Car Wash Sketch

The final before cropping:

Car Wash Unedited
Car Wash Unedited

Which leads to this, full title "Everybody Washes Cars Here, Millie!"

Car Wash
Car Wash

Oh yeah, the title. In one episode Blitzo needs some quick cash and Millie suggests a car wash. Blitzo replied with "We're in Hell, Millie! Nobody washes cars here!"
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:35 am

Look! A Futurama Bit! I haven't done one of these in like years! (Stretch it out, Fry! E-ons!)

Nifty, a minor character from "Hazbin Hotel":

A Woman's Touch
A Woman's Touch

I seem to remember another cyclops in a poodle dress...

Poodle Dress
Poodle Dress
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:05 pm

I swear I keep looking at your art, then forgetting to review it. It's not intentional. :)

Car Wash is really complex, I love those slender, elongated characters. And the cars have excellent colouring and shading; in the thumbnail, they look almost photorealistic.

Nifty is cool and horrifying. The fire background is awesome.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:04 am

c_nordlander wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:05 pm Car Wash is really complex, I love those slender, elongated characters. And the cars have excellent colouring and shading; in the thumbnail, they look almost photorealistic.
Thanks, Chris. I really wanted a photo-realistic feel and I guess I hit it. Having the characters fit into the drawing was tickier than it might seem at first. Not only did everybody's height have to match but several of them are viewed from the back. So I needed to work out how the rear view was.

Just for fun here is the base photo that I took. The show was at a golf course, and as I was walking in there was a herd of deer (including a buck) idly munching on grass at one of the tees.

Car Wash Base
Car Wash Base

Also a couple of coloring WIP bits.

Car Wash WIP 1
Car Wash WIP 1
Car Wash WIP 2
Car Wash WIP 2
c_nordlander wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:05 pm Nifty is cool and horrifying. The fire background is awesome.
Everyone who has seen this drawing (particularly in real life) has said the same thing about the fire. It's a real stand out. There is a reason for the fire. Nifty begins her existence as a lump of coal pulled out of the hearth. An eye pops open, sprouts arms and legs, Poof! There's Nifty.
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:26 am

I've been wanting to draw something from "Spirited Away" by Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli but I was never sure what. Too many choices, so I went for something difficult. Haku in his full dragon form.
Haven't seen "Spirited Away"? Why not? It is so good! Just FYI, Lin is voiced by Susan Egan (Rose from Steven Universe) and the Baby is voiced by Tara Strong (Raven from TT and TTG)

Kohaku River 1
Kohaku River 1
Kohaku River 2
Kohaku River 2
Kohaku River 3
Kohaku River 3

Some comments on these drawings. They are a HUGE! I'm not quite sure how this is be presented, but hopefully it'll work. Final sizes are 11 x 42 inches. The final drawing is on three separate pieces of 11 x 14 inch Bristol Board. 41 colors of Copic markers. I emptied not one but three complete refill cartridges.

Kohaku River Layout
Kohaku River Layout
Your name is Kohaku River
Your name is Kohaku River

Also I needed to have the drawing commercially scanned which is always a bit of a misadventure... This was no exception.

Just for fun, here are the three individual drawing sections. A detail, Chihiro is riding on Haku's neck. But see the two passengers on Chihiros shoulder?

River A
River A
River B
River B
River C
River C

BTW, Haku is my second favorite dragon...
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:47 pm

Awesome fanart for a great movie! I love the way you've drawn Haku standing in the first two images, and the coloured one of him flying with Chihiro is beautiful. Great colours in the cloud background.

He's definitely one of my favourite dragons, too. Thank you for these beautiful pieces.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:58 am

c_nordlander wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:47 pm Awesome fanart for a great movie! I love the way you've drawn Haku standing in the first two images, and the coloured one of him flying with Chihiro is beautiful. Great colours in the cloud background.

He's definitely one of my favourite dragons, too. Thank you for these beautiful pieces.
Oh! Cool1 Thanks, Chris. Super glad to hear that. This drawing was a beast to work in. It's just SO big. A weird tweaky thing was getting the colors to match from one sheet of paper to the next.

(BTW, my favorite dragon is Toothless.)