Lump

Post your art here! While this is a Simpsons and Futurama website, feel free to post works for other fandoms or original works here as well.
kaspired
Advisory Technical Manager

Re: Lump

Post by kaspired » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:26 pm

Merry X-mas!

Here's my offering this year (Apologies to Santabot) featuring Jinx and Gizmo (from The Teen Titans).

Mistletoe or tow missile?

Choices
Choices
Mistletoe 1
Mistletoe 1
Mistletoe 2
Mistletoe 2
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:51 pm

Still love that line from the first Xmas episode, and your picture is great as usual. Great poses and colouring, and I like that you post your sketches to give us a bit of an idea of your work methods.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:16 pm

c_nordlander wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:51 pm I like that you post your sketches to give us a bit of an idea of your work methods.
Thanks Chris. Sometimes the sketches are more fun than the final drawing.

Happy New Year, all! This century is old enough it can legally buy beer.

Good bye, 2020. Good riddance! But it did leave a parting shot.

One of my co-workers tested positive for Covid.

My boss won't let anybody back into the shop until they get a negative test. I'm still waiting for mine, which is due this afternoon.

First sketch dump of the new year.

I've been watching "Hilda". Intriguing series about a girl living with her mom in a cabin in the woods and befriending all kinds of strange creatures. Until a giant unintentionally crushes their house. They move into town and she continues meeting strange creatures in the city.

Hilda line sketch
Hilda line sketch
Hilda
Hilda
Hilda, Kaisa, and Frieda
Hilda, Kaisa, and Frieda
Kaisa
Kaisa

Also an anime thing called "Kill La Kill". With apologies to half the planet, I have to admit I'm not a big anime fan. I'd rate this one "okay".

Ryuko and Mako
Ryuko and Mako
Ryuko and Makos brother
Ryuko and Makos brother
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:22 pm

Sorry about your coworker. I wish them all the best, and hope your test comes back with negative results. :)

Your Hilda pictures are nice. Great sense of weight in the shading, and great movement in the last two.

I'm really not a fan of Kill la Kill, but your drawings are very professional (unsurprisingly) and on-model. Love the expressions.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:18 am

c_nordlander wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:22 pm Sorry about your coworker. I wish them all the best, and hope your test comes back with negative results. :)

Your Hilda pictures are nice. Great sense of weight in the shading, and great movement in the last two.

I'm really not a fan of Kill la Kill, but your drawings are very professional (unsurprisingly) and on-model. Love the expressions.
Co-worker still has a couple of more quarantine days to go, but from what I've heard he's fine. My test came back. Took longer than expected thanks to a medical records glitch. I took the test under the name "Mike" but requested the results under the name "Michael". The hospital computer reads that as two different people. Correction required a few extra days.

Results: Negative!

I'm impressed with the Hilda series. Among other things their artist direction is very clever.

Want to know something surprising about Kill la Kill? I noticed some similar animation cues to another show that I really did like. I did some digging, and Kill was done by Studio Trigger. The same group also did "BNA" with Michiru!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:11 am

Erk, yes, I run into bureaucratic stupidity like that all the time. Glad to hear about the good news for you and your colleague!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:07 am

Here goes nothin' Didn't think I'd let those Ryuko sketches go without a finished drawing, did 'cha?

Thorns Like Thistles
Thorns Like Thistles

BTW, the suit she's wearing is alive. That thing that looks like an eye over her shoulder? It is an eye. The suit does need to see...

Image area 9 3/8 x 17 inches, Copic Markers (38 colors) on Bristol Board.
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:01 am

Disenchantment Season 3 has been released!

I'm about to start the third episode...
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:22 pm

Yay, more Disenchantment! I wish I could watch it, but we don't have Netflix.

Very nice coloured version, with lovely highlights and an awesome background. The eye is cool.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:30 pm

c_nordlander wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:22 pm Yay, more Disenchantment! I wish I could watch it, but we don't have Netflix.
You don't have Netflix? I'm surprised. It's my main source for shows. (BTW they have a series called "Alice in Borderland", which is insanely suspenseful.)

I'm about 3/4 done with the second watching of "Disenchament", getting grabs as I go along. Talk about palace intrigue...

A set with Bean and her mom,Dagmar.

Bean
Bean
Bean and Dagmar A
Bean and Dagmar A
Bean and Dagmar B
Bean and Dagmar B
Bean and Dagmar C
Bean and Dagmar C

I did something I don't usually do. I kept tabs on how much time I spent on the Bean/Dagmar sketch. First sketch was an hour and a quarter. Second an additional 45 minutes, and the final another 45 minutes. From blank paper to done, 2 and 3/4 hours. Really!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:59 pm

Again, took me a while longer to respond, sorry about that. Always great to see more Disenchantment art, and it's really good. Bean's pose in the first one seems a bit awkward, but maybe that's intentional (she does look a bit shy). The Bean and Dagmar one is excellently drawn and has cool shading. Heh, took me a while to notice Bean's buck tooth.

I like that you tell us how long it took to draw, too. Gives me an idea what to aim for. 2 hours 3/4 is nice for such a good picture.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:10 am

c_nordlander wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:59 pm Again, took me a while longer to respond, sorry about that. Always great to see more Disenchantment art, and it's really good. Bean's pose in the first one seems a bit awkward, but maybe that's intentional (she does look a bit shy). The Bean and Dagmar one is excellently drawn and has cool shading. Heh, took me a while to notice Bean's buck tooth.

I like that you tell us how long it took to draw, too. Gives me an idea what to aim for. 2 hours 3/4 is nice for such a good picture.
Cool, always glad to hear from you. Let me share a couple of technical details...

I start with a 0.7 mechanical pencil with a "B" lead for the basic sketches. On that set I erased like crazy, all the layout/proportion/action lines were wiped out. Look at the second sketch, I've re-worked Dagmar with a 0.7 mechanical pencil but with a "2B" lead (Much softer so I can get darker lines and tones) along with a stump to get the general texture. The background was completely done with the stump. (Er... just in case, stump? Whatzat? It's a roll of compressed paper designed to smear/smudge pencil/pastel/charcoal.) Also the drawing is on 8 1/2 x 11 inch printer paper, but it's not "normal" printer paper. Typical printer paper is only 18 lb weight. There is paper available that's as heavy as 32 lbs. (Much tougher, it'll withstand all the torture I put it through.) Also the paper is much brighter. If I were to put a piece of regular paper on top of the heaver paper, the regular paper is kinda yellowish.

The next two drawings are from Disenchantment. Teasers...

Second drawing out, Mora and Bean:

Last Splash practice
Last Splash practice

This one, which I hope to finish by Monday:

You're the Bean WIP
You're the Bean WIP

There is one color out there that I just hate to work with. Want to guess what it is?
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:56 pm

You're the Bean
You're the Bean

(Without too many spoilers...)

Bean disguises herself as Dagmar to help in an escape attempt. But the real Dagmar appears, and the conversation degenerates into role playing each other.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:10 pm

Both very fine. The ship one (... ship as in the thing that goes on the ocean, that is. I don't know whether those two have any chemistry) has very nice background as well as figures. The finalised Bean and Dagmar one has very nice colours, gorgeous textures and shading on their outfits, and the background is cool and adds a lot without distracting from the characters.

Heh, I actually knew what a stump was!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:13 am

c_nordlander wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:10 pm Both very fine. The ship one (... ship as in the thing that goes on the ocean, that is. I don't know whether those two have any chemistry) has very nice background as well as figures. The finalised Bean and Dagmar one has very nice colours, gorgeous textures and shading on their outfits, and the background is cool and adds a lot without distracting from the characters.

Heh, I actually knew what a stump was!

Y'know Chris, I'm actually really pleased to read about the background. One thing I'm always trying for is just what you've described. Yay, got it right! This scene happens underground so I dug up some photos of old mines and went from there.

The shipping gag is goodt! I hadn't caught that. (BTW, this is meant as a teaser, not a spoiler. But...) There is "chemistry" but Bean isn't sure if it really happened...

(On another note, sign up for Netflix! I'm watching another show called "Kid Cosmic". So far I've watched eight of the ten episodes and it's surprisingly funny, but the last two episodes are looking to be quite serious.)

Oh, and this:

Last Splash
Last Splash

Elfo, Bean and Mora are sailing back to Dreamland in a (stolen) ship. The ship is named "Miss Fortune".