REVIEWS: The Silence of the Sirens (Venture Brothers)

Did you write something for the Simpsons, Futurama, original fiction or another fandom? Feel free to post it here!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

REVIEWS: The Silence of the Sirens (Venture Brothers)

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:47 pm

A Venture Brothers fanfic, written for a Christmas request by Missy. Set during the Season 7 finale, and contains serious spoilers. About Sirena's and Hank's relationship. Mostly from Sirena's perspective (well, Dean and Hank got plenty of focus in the episode itself).

Note that it includes some headcanon about Sirena
Spoiler
which hasn't been actually disproven by the show, but which may count as AU.

Prose format; drama/romance (if you accept that "romance" doesn't necessarily mean something positive or "happily ever after"). Maybe a bit teen-angsty, but given the characters and emotions included, that's probably appropriate.

Content note: contains a bit of, not parental abuse as such, but a parent being condescending and overruling their adult child's wishes in a way that might come off as rather creepy.

EDIT: Reuploaded due to typoes.
Attachments
silence of the sirens.doc
(128.5 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
silence of the sirens.odt
(47.02 KiB) Downloaded 371 times
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Re: REVIEWS: The Silence of the Sirens (Venture Brothers)

Post by missy_misery » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:39 am

!!! I'm gonna catch up with these and with your new Frama fic next week Chris!
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:32 am

And I am finally back!

First of all, I love how you've molded and shaped and even fleshed out Sirena here - her bittersweet longing and regret, and the abuse she's suffering at the hands of her father (though she wouldn't call it that). Much better than the show gives us TBH in a few ways. And her new power makes perfect sense for Hank and Dean falling in love with her simultaneously.
Spoiler
Thank you so much for this wonderful gift!

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:33 am

I couldn't wish for higher praise than that. I'm so happy you enjoyed it (and "Escape from Barbarella Hoth Coma Dream Purgatory").

I want to write more VB stuff (even have one or two other ideas focusing on the guys and Sirena), but it seems a bit difficult to find readers.

EDIT: I find it interesting that both Triana and Sirena are rebellious girls/young women with very protective fathers; however, while Dr. Orpheus' brand of fathering is "kind of a cringy overprotective sit-com dad, but good at heart," the way Wide Wale treats his daughter... may be well-intentioned, but any parent who implants tracking devices in their child clearly doesn't have a normal parent/child dynamic. That informed a lot of how I wrote Sirena's and her father's scenes here.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:00 am

Gosh, you're just making me miss Triana so much now. And you hit the nail on the head with Wide Wale and Sirena in converse to them.

Have you tried AO3?