Plot Bunny Shelter!

Did you write something for the Simpsons, Futurama, original fiction or another fandom? Feel free to post it here!
sabrina_diamond
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician
Custom Title: Hippie

Re: Plot Bunny Shelter!

Post by sabrina_diamond » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:02 am

After watching Homer3 on Treehouse of Horror, this interguring concept popped up: After Homer enters the Erotic Cakeshop in our world, the episode ends - right? So what I was thinking was, maybe the fanfic could focus on how 3D Homer handles our world and other issues after realising he can't go back to his dimension... :D Plus, how other humans react to Homer: "Oh my gawsh, is it really Homer Simpson?!"
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Post by Meteorite » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:51 am

@Stretch Dude: I quite like that concept.  I vaguely remember someone doing that years ago with The Genesis Tub, but I'd like to see it applied to other episodes.

@sabrina_diamond: I believe Stretch Dude already had that concept on page 1 but I still like the idea.  I don't like the idea of everyone going "ZOMG its Homer!!!!" though.  That would bore me, as without some ingenious work it'd just be the standard 'Fangirl BAMFs into Fandom' plot, only in reverse.  Perhaps if the 3D universe was one without the Simpsons series?

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:54 am

Yeah, Stretch Dude, very good idea. I and some other fans have been thinking of doing that with bad episodes for quite a while, though I don't think many actually got written (apart from "The Genesis Tub", as Alex pointed out).*
Dark Mage wrote: I don't like the idea of everyone going "ZOMG its Homer!!!!" though.  That would bore me, as without some ingenious work it'd just be the standard 'Fangirl BAMFs into Fandom' plot, only in reverse.  Perhaps if the 3D universe was one without the Simpsons series?
Agreed! That would almost be a requirement.

*This is the opinion of the author of the rewrite; I personally liked "The Genesis Tub".
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
THIEFOFALWAYS
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by THIEFOFALWAYS » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:44 pm

Stretch Dude wrote: Another broad concept that popped into my head some time ago: Taking existing episodes with interesting stories that failed to live up to their potential and "fixing" them, which can mean anything from sticking to the basic plot and making general improvements, to reducing the story to a bare-bones summary and building it back up again into something new and better.
Great idea. There's so many episodes that had more potential than they explored.

Here's a few off the top of my head....

That 90s Show...a lot of potential to expand upon the foundation of Homer and Marge's relationship, unfortunately it just became a clone of Family Guy's "Meet the Quagmires" episode, right down to the Back to the Future homage. Also, this was a perfect opportunity for the Simpsons to poke fun at themselves and how the show looked in early 90s.

Revenge is a Dish Best Served Three Times...replace "The Count of Monte Cristo" with "Phantom of the Opera", when the star of the Opera is injured in an accident, her understudy, Cristine (Marge) is set to replace her. Soon she finds herself visited by a ghost who tutors her in the way of the Opera and singing. As she slowly falls in love with him she has no idea he is conflicted as whether to continue grooming Cristine for the Opera or abandon her and exact revenge on the man that wronged him (played by Moe). Replace "Revenge of the Geeks" with a "There Will Be Blood" parody with an oil drilling turn-of-the century Mr Burns being being extorted into joining the church by Todd Flanders. (and no, no one has to die at the end).
Last edited by THIEFOFALWAYS on Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:23 pm

Bumping this one, because I've got a percolating one forming in the back of my mind. Since OFF has resurrected Mona - figuratively twice so far -
I wanted to twist this past week's plot slightly and
Spoiler
...Which leads to a debate between Marge's faith-based theology and Lisa's Buddhistic belief in reincarnation, while Homer just believes he's seen what he's seen for a reason.
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
Enhas
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Enhas » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:54 pm

MLP:FiM ideas that I have but will probably never write (anyone feel free to use these):

- Celestia and Luna were two young human girls (not sisters, but as close as) in an orphanage. By a series of events, they end up in the Wood Between The Worlds and see the Equestrian equivalent of Aslan (basically, a very large and tall alicorn that's about twice the size of Princess Celestia). They have a chance for a new life and are the two prophesied ones to take back Equestria from Discord, but once they make the decision to go there's no going back. They do, and jump into the Equestria pool (which just happens to be right next to a dried out one, also known as Narnia) and are turned into two blank-flank alicorn fillies, and the rest is history.

- An adult stallion is discovered to have been wearing a fake cutie mark and is actually a blank flank. It turns out that when he was still young, he was the last in his class to be blank and was teased for it so he took the easy way out. To keep up the lie, he kept wearing it for years and thus never earned his cutie mark. He loses his job and most of his so-called friends ridicule and turn against him, and he runs away into the Everfree Forest where he falls into a deep pit and gets turned to stone by a Cockatrice. It turns out this was over a hundred years before FiM, and he's finally discovered and cured but everyone he knew is dead. No idea about the rest of the story, though, but it probably wouldn't be very happy or uplifting.

- As a dark and morbid version of those "Brony goes to Equestria" fics, the OC in question succeeds in transporting himself to Equestria... but at the cost of millions of human lives (the portal machine uses nuclear energy to power it, and will be overloaded and destroyed with the force of multiple nuclear bombs once the portal is opened and the OC *knows* this). He's not immediately turned into a pony once there, and everyone feels that there's something off about him... when he's brought to Celestia, she knows he's lying and implores him to tell the truth. Eventually, she reads his mind and finds out what he did and is (to put it lightly) horrified at the monster he is. He begs to be turned into a pony and stay in Equestria but she'll have none of it... for each life he has taken (estimated to be 2.5 million) he will spend one day banished inside the moon and be conscious the entire time. That amounts to almost 6850 years, AND after this time is done he will be sent back to where he came from at the precise time of the blast to "face judgment" (ie. be vaporized instantly).

Edit: Some more stuff to add to these plots below.

Idea 1 - Maybe not use a Narnia crossover since, yes, there are those out there who don't know what Narnia is. Also, the Earth is in a universe where FiM doesn't exist as a TV show or anything like that, so no foreknowledge of any kind. These two girls (whose original human names aren't Celestia and Luna, by the way) end up becoming the Princesses and building Equestria as we know it. In the "modern" time, nobody alive knows the whole story of their true origins but it's not something deliberately kept secret... Twilight finds out bits of it by digging around and researching, and they end up telling her the rest (this is probably how the story would start, actually).

Idea 2 - The stallion is an Earth pony, and lives in Ponyville about a century before the start of FiM. The whole idea is that, unlike the CMCs (particularly Applebloom's bout with the Cutie Pox), he doesn't learn the lesson about taking what seems to be the easy path and pays dearly for it, multiple times. He was about the CMCs age when he got the idea to wear a fake cutie mark, and he kept up the lie so well that it lasted well into his early twenties. Because he's so adamant about making sure no one finds out the truth, he never earns his real cutie mark due to stunting himself by living a lie (and if he did, it'd be different from his fake one and thus he'd be exposed as a liar unless he hid it... he worries very much about the possibility). He is ostracized, not for being a blank flank (though some sneer at him for this) but for being a massive liar for years, and basically loses everything once he's found out. Instead of owning up to what he did and then go about trying to find his life's purpose (which some of his friends want him to do, and would support him), he runs away and gets turned to stone for a very long time (thankfully not conscious at all during this) and when he's found and cured, he doesn't even have his friends anymore since they're all dead.

I would have it that he does get a happy ending and gets his real cutie mark by the end (but not before making at least one more big mistake), having finally learned to stop running away when confronted with problems, and dealing with them. No shipping with the mane six, and possibly no shipping period.

Idea 3 - The guy is an insane brony, but a genius (I mean, opening a portal to a cartoon show?) who is utterly obsessed with Equestria to the point where he doesn't care about real life. He doesn't set out to deliberately murder people, but the portal machine takes an immense amount of power to operate and he knows it will overload after he's stepped through and kill millions of people, but he doesn't care because he won't be on Earth anymore and won't have to face the consequences. He acts a little too happy in Equestria to the point where Pinkie thinks he's creepy, and he wants Celestia to turn him into a pony so he can fully "live the dream". But she finds out what he did and punishes him... one day banishment for each life that was lost due to his selfishness, and completely conscious so he can think about each and every one of them, followed at the end by being sent back to his certain death.

After his banishment, Celestia and Luna would discuss about the possibility of more humans eventually showing up and what to do with them. They consider the idea of sealing off Equestria forever from Earth, but decide against it as there may be some genuinely good people arrive at some point in time who would be worthy of the magic of friendship. So it doesn't end on a complete downer, but with hope that the next human(s) they meet will be better than the last one.
CROWD: What do you want?
FRY: Fry's dog!
CROWD: When do you want it?
Enhas
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Enhas » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:37 pm

Another FiM idea I have with Scootaloo and Cadence as the main characters. It'd probably be contradicted within the first few episodes of Season Three though:

Scootaloo is concerned due to other Pegasus fillies (classmates and others even younger than her) being able to fly while she still can't. A doctor tells her that some are naturally late-bloomers but she insists on being further tested, and finds out something she didn't want to hear... her innate Pegasus magic is very low and will never get any better.

She can still walk on clouds and eventually learn to do (very basic) weather control, and in time she will be able to fly but not for long periods or at great speed. In short, her dreams of trying to be like Rainbow Dash are crushed.

The basis is that Cadence and Scootaloo end up crossing paths, and both have the same problem. Cadence's parents are Unicorns and yet she was also born a Pegasus as well. Usually, ponies are born with only one type (Earth, Unicorn or Pegasus) but very, very rarely they have two. One of them takes dominance while the other is mediocre.

"Alicorns" are ponies that have all three race types, and are either immortal or very long-lived. The only two are Celestia and Luna. Cadence is a Unicorn/Pegasus with the Unicorn traits dominant, but is often mistaken to be an Alicorn due to what she looks like. She can fly but not well or for very long. She suspects that Scootaloo might also be a hybrid pony but can't cast the (very complicated) spell to find out, and Celestia is not nearby so that leaves it up to Twilight.

It turns out that Scootaloo is an Earth/Pegasus pony, with Earth dominant. This also explains where she gets all the dexterity and endurance for riding and doing stunts on her scooter and dancing, and when she's older she'll have much more strength and stamina than any Pegasus. Twilight and Cadence tell her to not be ashamed but that she's a very special pony (the good kind!) will will actually end up in the record books (Scootaloo, Cadence and twelve others are the only known individuals in the past thousand years).

This is just an outline. No idea about other characters or if Scootaloo gets her cutie mark by the end or not. This story would probably be at least three or four chapters long. And since the new episodes will probably have Cadence be an immortal goddess that's (somehow) over a thousand years old and able to fly circles around anything, it wouldn't stay viable for very long anyway.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:08 pm

Meh, ignoring canon is what writing fanfic is all about! I like the idea, it's very creative.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
fellranger
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by fellranger » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:21 pm

Yeah, I like this one. The idea of Scootaloo being an earth/pegasus cross works well and you've come up with a good theory for Cadence's origins. Go for it!
There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning....
And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave....
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:53 pm

New Futurama idea, tentatively titled "Fargate" (but I'm sure it could be titled something better).

Planet Express become rivals with another delivery company (either a Momcorp company or some new antagonists) who are delivering goods through the recently invented teleporters, and both companies try to sabotage the other in various underhanded ways. However, in the end it turns out that the teleporter delivery company is running a racket: they're skimming off a tiny amount of expensive materials when it's being atomised for teleportation.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:57 pm

Will the teleporters have pink mohawks and wheelchairs?
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Enhas
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Enhas » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:03 pm

Another FiM idea from me:

It involves a Unicorn OC who was Celestia's student over 200 years ago. At the time, Celestia thought she might have been the chosen one due to what seemed to be a knack for doing high-level magic with little to no training.

It turns out, however, that her talent is actually the ability to copy the talent of any Unicorn / Alicorn around her. She and Celestia discover this when she leaves Canterlot and stays in a predominately Earth Pony town, and is made out to be a fraud because she can't do anything more than basic telekinesis when they were expecting a grand show. Her natural magic is very weak.

Celestia rightfully concludes that her student isn't the chosen one, who is still yet to come. The problem is that the Princess was so nearly certain that she shared Starswirl's prophecy with her, so her hopes were brought up and then cruelly dashed. Basically, she was groomed from foalhood thinking she was going to have a grand destiny, which ends up being false.

But she wouldn't accept it, and later foolishly tries to copy Celestia's talent by tapping into the sun's power to *make* herself the chosen one and the next Princess. She nearly kills herself with the overload in power before Celestia discovers what she's doing and intervenes. During this time, it gets dark and very cold in the middle of the day but then returns to normal once the link has been cut.

Days later, when she wakes up, Celestia is there to tell her that she nearly died and her selfish actions could have killed many. She in fact proved herself to be entirely unworthy of Princesshood, and was not turned into an Alicorn (it wouldn't have worked, regardless). Celestia does say that in a way she halfway got what she want, because her poorly thought out "plan" made her immortal. But she will never be a Princess. Celestia deems that her student's "curse" of immortality will be punishment enough for what she did, and also dismisses her as her student. Her former student runs off in tears and leaves Canterlot in shame, and is never seen again. Celestia tries to find her and bring her back home but ultimately gives up after a few decades.

Over 200 years later, some time after Twilight's coronation she shows up in Ponyville while Celestia is visiting and brutally attacks her, nearly killing her former mentor and friend. This was due to her copying Twilight's talent for magic and using it for herself. Twilight fights back but it's clear that they're evenly-matched in power, and her opponent brags about how she should rightfully be the Princess and for Twilight to abdicate or else she will destroy and kill everyone in Ponyville.

Celestia is very weak but manages to tell Twilight to get all the Unicorns and Alicorns out of Ponyville, and to stay far away from her herself, to render her powerless so that the Earth Ponies and Pegasi can deal with her long enough for the mane six to retrieve the Elements of Harmony and then use them on her. She also laments at how far her former student has fallen and that she could have did great things with her life, but instead spent centuries in bitterness and hatred.

Ultimately, they succeed (of course, after nearly failing a few times, etc... this is only an outline after all) and instead of killing her or turning her to stone, the Elements turn her into a baby who is mortal once more and has no memories of her former life. Celestia takes her in as her ward and determines to not let her become what she did the first time.

A sort-of mockup of her is below (the cutie mark is a placeholder, I have no idea what it'd really be like):

I've also used a variant of this model for another (unrelated) story idea.
Enhas
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Enhas » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:36 pm

Another idea I have is sort-of inspired by the (horrible) fan fiction The Conversion Bureau, but with a much different premise. It's actually about the pre-history of Equestria and does NOT take place in a world that has FiM as a cartoon.

It's set in the near-future and the basic idea is that there's a virus with no cure that's quickly decimating humanity, and at the beginning over 50% of the world's population is already dead.

For some reason, the virus also affects horses and is killing them off as well, but they seem to survive for far longer. Some scientists get the idea to combine horse and human DNA together (somehow) to try and make a cure, but all attempts fail and time is running out. The last chance is to mix it with some kind of radioactive material (again, somehow... I don't know how this would even work but then again this is just a story) and test the prototype on two sisters who are dying of the disease and have nothing left to lose. You can guess who these two are.

It seems to work, but gradually transforms them into two unicorns. All other test subjects are also transformed, but have either a horn, wings or neither.

So for humanity to survive, they have to change and "evolve". By this time, over 75% of the world's population is gone and most of the Earth's horse breeds have gone extinct. Most are eager to receive the pony "cure" but there are others who see it as an abomination and would rather die and take as many of the ponies with them as they can. One sect has a super-weapon that they plan to fire into the Sun to destroy it and end all life on Earth... to die on their terms and not through a plague or by being "converted", as they put it.

War breaks out, but most of the remaining humans are too sick to fight adequately and are soundly defeated. However, the super-weapon is successfully launched and destroys the Sun. Celestia and Luna (those names aren't what they would be called by yet, but given later) ascend to become alicorns, save the Earth and create a new Sun to give light and life. The magic backlash from the twin ascensions spreads over the whole world and completely erases all buildings, pollution and other traces of humanity... a fresh start and a second chance. It also changes many of the animals and creates whole new ones, including Griffons, Dragons and others. The humans left who didn't accept the cure and fought against the ponies are turned into Changelings with their memories altered and banished far away, but their hated of ponies remains.

So Equestria is founded, but over hundreds of years the same magic backlash that changed the world has been slowly leeching chaos from the hearts and minds of everyone to ultimately make one final creation: Discord. Celestia and Luna fight and defeat him and reclaim their rightful rule, and the rest is history.
Enhas
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Enhas » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:19 pm

This might as well become the "Ideas Enhas Will Never Use" thread, because I keep coming up with stuff. :doh: Again, this is a FiM idea inspired by some talk about Trixie earlier.

Basically, it's set some time after Magical Mystery Cure. Trixie vows to get better with her magic legitimately and practices often, and after hearing that Twilight ascended to become an Alicorn Princess, she decides to throw her biggest and grandest performance ever in honor of her and her friends due to the way they handled the Alicorn Amulet fiasco (by forgiving instead of, well... killing her) and to try and make up things more with Twilight.

The Summer Sun Celebration is nearing and the Princesses are heading to Ponyville to attend. Trixie gets permission to do her reenactment of the Nightmare Moon incident, and she does enough research to make sure it ends up fairly accurate.

She is able to project convincing illusions of almost anything, unaware that it is very high-level Unicorn magic and not something that most Unicorns can ever do.

It is daytime and the four Princesses and a large audience are at the show and Trixie's turn comes up. She decides to act as a narrator while casting various illusions of ponies (that can be controlled and made to talk their lines by Trixie) and scenery. At one point she casts the illusion of the Town Hall from several years ago around the entire audience, who are very impressed. After "Nightmare Moon" declares that the night will last forever, Trixie makes the Town Hall disappear and makes the illusion of night around everyone. But in the midst of her narration of the next scene (and before she can create the illusion of the Everfree Forest and the mane six), she is surrounded by light and disappears. It is still night, which is a very *real* night and not an illusion.

Trixie comes back from the sky, in much the same fashion Twilight did, but unlike her she didn't have the advantage of meeting Celestia or anyone else so she doesn't know what happened to her and is very afraid. Then she notices her wings and faints. Chaos erupts and some of the ponies think it's all an act to try and upstage Twilight's ascension and that Trixie hasn't changed at all. Celestia and Luna take her away to look after her and answer her questions when she wakes up, and Twilight goes along with them. She has a nagging feeling that Trixie didn't learn her lesson and looked for another quick and easy path to match or beat her after she became a Princess and says so, but the other two assure her that while what happened was very unexpected that she is wrong in her assumptions.

The rest of the story is Trixie finding out that she became the Master of Illusions by putting so much focus and intent into her "night" illusion that it became real... something that nobody else has ever done, and which can be a terrifying power if used incorrectly because she can make certain things real if she so desires. She has to come to terms with this, as well as being an Alicorn (and some time later after things are settled, a Princess) and to try and be respected by the people instead of reviled for the things she's done and to not be looked at as a "fake Princess". Eventually she does prove herself to be as worthy as the other four, but not until falling into and overcoming the darkness over being something she never wanted to be and *still* being seen as a fraud by everyone.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:20 pm

Bumping because I have an idea that I MIGHT use...or I might not end up using. Spoiler-cut for those who haven't seen this week's Simpsons:
Spoiler
So yeah, so many plot bunnies that there's room to spare!
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"