The winning announcement thingy!

Competition threads and announcements will indeed be posted here.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

The winning announcement thingy!

Post by archonix » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:04 am

The quality of entries this time around was excellent. Far too good, in fact. It was almost impossible for us to decide which ones should win, they were all so good.

Unfortunately I coudn't declare them all the winner because that would have been too expensive, so we judges battled late into the night (or the morning, in Steve's case) to figure it out. And here we goll.

Drumm roll maestro if you please...

In third place... Red_Line with [iurl=http://www.simpworks.com/forums/index.p ... 815.0.html]A Pig's Fry[/iurl].

Second place goes to Lord Kingsley with [iurl=http://www.simpworks.com/forums/index.p ... 817.0.html]The Father Lode[/iurl]

And now, since it was freakin hard to pick, we chickened out. First place is a joint prize awarded to

Shockwave aka Kenneth with [iurl=http://www.simpworks.com/forums/index.p ... 818.0.html]Unreal Torment[/iurl] and,
A Spy In Mancunia with [iurl=http://www.simpworks.com/forums/index.p ... ,35.0.html]A Garden of Forking Pasts[/iurl]

We had a lot or discussions about this here decision, but it had to be made in the end. Both the winning ideas deal with a superficially similar plot idea, a discovery that Fry still has some sort of connection with his past, but then work off on radically different plots to actually deal with it.

The winners will have to contact me to sort out their pizes. Congratulations to them an a great big thank you to everyone who took part!
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Re: The winning announcement thingy!

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:55 am

[idiot]Well, a joint first prize is better than no first prize at all... [/idiot]

Need I even tell how honoured I am? Not only a first place, but tied with such a worthy entry as Kenneth's story!

And standing ovation to the other winners. I'd like to say I rooted for you, and that's true, but I'd be hard put to name one story I *didn't* want to win this competition. Seriously, they were all outstanding.

Thanks to Graham, the other judges, and all the competitors who made this competition such an enjoyable event.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Kif White
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Decepticon Commander

Post by Kif White » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:54 pm

Wow! Just... wow!  :o

I seriously can't believe it, I have to say. And, in similar vein to Chris' comment, I'm not only honoured, but honoured that I tied with her, since I think she's a fantastic author.

I have to congratulate the other participants too, though I must admit I haven't read all the entries yet myself, but since my last day of work is tonight, I'm planning on setting either Monday or Tuesday aside to read all the entries and review them. All that said, I know every single participant in this years contest has done great work in the past, which is why I was quite honestly scared during the whole thing.

Kudos to the judges I bribed that took part. I imagine out of all of us, you guys had the hardest job of all. Also, thanks to all those who commented and offered support during the competition too.

Finally, I dedicate this trophy (we each get a giant gold trophy, right?) to my Australian nemesis pal Alex, who couldn't make it through this years competition. I hope you make it into the next one  :)
- Kenneth White

"Know the conflict within before facing the conflict without."

Now Watching: Babylon 5 - Season 3
Now Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening, Pokemon Heart Gold
Now Reading: Catch 22
Red_Line
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Red_Line » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:43 pm

I too am honored, not to mention somewhat amazed, to have made it into the winners circle, seeing the competition I was up against.  This contest inspired me to write a fic that I never would have written otherwise and I had a lot of fun with it.

A big thank you to Graham for running this contest and to the judges, whomever they may be, for your time and hard work - I know this was a tough one.
Terry Y
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Head Bee Guy

Post by Terry Y » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:23 am

Holy cow!

Wow, thanks for letting me take part this year, guys.  It was an honor to compete with such talented folks.  Looking forward to next year!
though I must admit I haven't read all the entries yet myself
Glad I'm not the only one, heh!  But I will R&R them soon, I promise!
"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food." - Julia Child
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:33 am

Congrats to all the winners!  I'm posting some belated feedback tonight, incidentally.
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
aoifestorm
Sub-sector Control Officer
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by aoifestorm » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:47 pm

Congratulations to all of the winners!  :E
Homer eats a little too much Chile to strong pepper and is found with hullicinations amongst other things it speaks with a dog.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:46 am

Just a reminder, if you winners want your winning pictures you'll have to actually tell me if you want any specific scene so it can be farmed out to korea I and a select few can work on them.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Fionn
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Fionn » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:15 pm

Woot! Three cheers to the winrars! 
Hey you, out there in the cold,
Getting lonely, getting old,
Can you hear me?
Hey you, standing in the aisles,
With itching feet and fading smiles,
Can you feel me?
Hey You! Don\'t help them to bury the light.
Don\'t give in without a fight.

-\"Hey You\", by Pink Floyd
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:50 am

I haven't decided on a commission yet, but I'll alert you when I think of a scene.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Kif White
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Decepticon Commander

Post by Kif White » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:46 am

Just FYI, I think the very final scene would be the best commission image for mine. Unless the artist has a scene they would particuarly like to do themselves that is, in which case they can go nuts  :)
- Kenneth White

"Know the conflict within before facing the conflict without."

Now Watching: Babylon 5 - Season 3
Now Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening, Pokemon Heart Gold
Now Reading: Catch 22
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:26 am

So that's Terry and Kenneth. Now all we need is Chris and some spare time...
— Piet Hein - Grooks
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:42 am

OK, at long last very vague ideas for a picture request, but I don't think they'll get any more detailed than this: the very last scene, Fry pouring the medicine into the sink, and the puddle of medicine at the sink bottom reflects a group shot of him and his family in front of their villa. Or something. Or if my fic gives you a better idea for a picture, draw that instead.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon