OPINIONS - Bart Wars

Get help, post works in progress for feedback and see articles and tutorials written by other writers.
Karsten_Thiel
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

OPINIONS - Bart Wars

Post by Karsten_Thiel » Wed Apr 10, 2002 3:56 am

Since the dawn of time (or at least the dawn of "Simpsons" fanfiction), there has been the prophecy of the one who shall bring a "Star Wars" parody to the SFWC...

Today (or tonight, depending on which time zone you live in), this prophecy has been fulfilled...

Suffering from a severe case of Pre-Episode II Great Expectations Syndrome, I have decided to finally start writing aforementioned Simpsonic "Star Wars" parody (seeing as someone had to do it sooner or later). More will be added soon. All kinds of feedback will be greatly appreciated. Enjoy! :)

(Disclaimer: The prophecy mentioned above is made up, and not meant to indicate that I'm some sort of "Chosen One". Not that I'd mind being worshipped... ;D)
What flows from me nose does not go on the clothes.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Re: OPINIONS - Bart Wars

Post by archonix » Wed Apr 10, 2002 4:11 am

Yay!  Maggie!
Uh... :uhdrop: I'll be back with more after I've uh, read a few others... uh... right.

*bows*

Farewell, oh chosen one.
Last edited by archonix on Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
aoifestorm
Sub-sector Control Officer
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by aoifestorm » Wed Apr 10, 2002 4:38 am

:) This script is very well done and funny, Karsten.  I think all of the Simpsons/Furturama characters fit well with their Star Wars counterparts.  I got big larffs off of Marge and Nedwin especially.  I thought Bender's cameo was funny, and I loved the appearance of Hans. Darth Homer is fun as well.
Are you planning on continuing the script, Karsten?  It's really funny, so I am hoping that you are.
Homer eats a little too much Chile to strong pepper and is found with hullicinations amongst other things it speaks with a dog.
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Wed Apr 10, 2002 7:28 am

Hilarious script, Karsten! 'Bout time someone did a SW spoof... ;D
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Marco

Post by Marco » Wed Apr 10, 2002 8:52 am

*adds to the to-read list*  :D
:uhdrop:
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Apr 10, 2002 5:13 pm

Sweet Arnie Pie in the sky!

I was somewhat unsure when I started reading this script. Wait... whom am I kidding? I felt *very* unsure, seeing how Graham has been planning to write a Simpsonic parody of the Star Wars saga for years. Not that I was planning to flame, but... but I can't find a way to end that sentence. :)

No need for that now. Graham, you're a great writer, but Karsten beat you to this. This script has all the magic of Star Wars, with a heady injection of humour. Bender's cameo and the discussion on sexism were the absolute peaks, together with most every scene featuring Darth Homer. You've got the characters of Homer, Marge and Lisa down to a tee, yet consistent with their roles in the film, and I can't wait to see more of Bart and Ned. Oh, and the intro text was fun as well. And the coded names of Marge and Maggie. And most everything they said. And Lisa being interrogated. And... and... but I'm stalling.

This is a perfect parody of one of my favourite films. More! MORE!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Karsten_Thiel

Post by Karsten_Thiel » Thu Apr 11, 2002 2:56 am

Thanks for all the comments. I'm glad you like it. :)

And don't worry, there will be more.
IDPStan
General Control Officer
General Control Officer

Post by IDPStan » Thu Apr 11, 2002 5:38 am

Comments about Bart Wars.

"Rebel troopers hurry through the hallway as the
explosion rocks the ship. Alarms sound. Two droids,
MAGGIE (M2-G2) and MARGE (3-MRG), are trying to make
their way through the hallway."

LOL M2-G2, 3-MRG. I love it. Already we're in parody flavour country.

"The shields are down? Are you sure?"

Heh the ships been playing silly buggers with an ISD [The ISD Devastator if anyone’s interested] that has more guns than Col Gadafee, what did you expect?

"The Rebel troopers aim their weapons at the door which
suddenly explodes inwards."

Just a thought but why not have one of them say "Freeze door, we've got you covered!" It's such a classic SW joke...

"Hey, killing those stormtroopers is easier than I
thought."

Killing stormbloopers is like killing goblins, my granny could do it. There's lots of em though.

"What did you expect? Their armor is made from cardboard."

Heh! That's ablative cardboard I'll have you know![JK]

"...of course, with television and video games
leading today's youth into a moral sewer, it doesn't
surprise me at all that..."

I thought the Galactic Empire was leading the youth into the moral sewer, oh well.

"(shakes his head) Sheesh, what a mess! Don't those Rebels
have a cleaning lady?"

*resists temptation to say* "Yes, or we did until this atrocity.."

"You were wrong, my Lord. The Rebels *were* smart enough
not to put the stolen plans into the main computer."

Yeah well knowing the Corellians the main computer was probably a Z80 anyway...

"(clears his throat) I think he's dead, sir."

Ah Hans is dead, everything is as it should be. ;))

"Lisa starts to run, but one of the
remaining troopers fires a small dart at her which hits
her in the arm."

Darts? The hell? What happened to the cool blue stun effect?!

"A new explosion tears a big hole in the wall next to
Marge. She jumps back."

That's the stormbloopers idea of 'searching carefully'. Subtle.

"Bah! You are a traitor to the Empire! You..."

Isn't Darth supposed to tell her the Emperor abolished the Senate? Really I see no reason to change that bit...

"Oh yes, and have this imbe-ma-cile thrown
out an airlock."

Awwww can't you have him throttle him like he did will Ozzel...I love Darth's strangling scenes.

"(triumphantly) Look, sir! Droids!"

Wow you must be Sherlock f*8king Holms to work that out!!

"(voice of Gil) Good afternoon, sir! We're the Jawas, at
your service. Looking for droids? I'm your man! (worriedly)
You *are* looking for droids, aren't you? Please tell me
you're looking for droids, I need the money!"

LOL Good use of Gil there, I find him as a Jawa really funny.

""Roman Catholic"."

Space Catholics? I don't think soooo...

"(narrowing his eyes suspiciously) What's that supposed
to mean? You do believe in the Maker, don't you?"

Of course in Bender's case the maker 'might' well be another robot in a factory...

"I sure hope so. He's evil."

Sure Bender's evil, your point being?

"(fed up) Evil, eh? Well, in this case, I'll just sell
him to the Muslim missionary at the other side of
Beggar's Canyon!"

LOL Not run by a Mr Bin Laden is it? Awwwww baaadddd...I can't believe you put that in. Even *I* don't think their evil per say. Misguided perhaps, religious zealots probably, but this takes the piss.

"...here we are."

Yes, Tatoonee in the outer rim territories, a place so boring the Empire didn't even bother to invade it!

Well I liked most of it although there was a missed opportunity for a joke with the door, the space Catholics idea is a bit naff and if you ask me the comment about certain religious groups was dammed right unnecessary. Besides how any of those religions can be in Star Wars is beyond me, it's meant to be in a galaxy far far away a long time ago remember? They only have the 'force'. The use of a trank dart was bizarre as well in an age of blasters and spaceships. Oh and make Darth Homer Throttle that guy, go on you know you want to. Anyway, the droids where funny. The stormbloopers where as funny as ever. I LOLed at Gil as a Jawa.

All in all it's ok but there are some things I would defiantly change, after all it's never good to make jokes that are outside the context of the setting. That and there are some moments begging for a gag or two. It'll be interesting to see what the rest of it's like.
Why is it always mayday to call for help? Why not something like…Shove Tuesday or Ascension Sunday? - Arnold Rimmer

You have joined the sacred order of The Stonecutters, who since ancient times, have split the rocks of ignorance that obscure the light of knowledge of light and truth. Now let's all get drunk and play Ping-Pong! - Number One
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Thu Apr 11, 2002 8:50 am

An excellent script, though of course you have a long way to go before it's finiahed.

I mostly agree with Stan, but the religion jokes don't bother me - I found them very funny, and Ned wouldn't be Ned without some of that.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
Ranman
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Post by Ranman » Thu Apr 11, 2002 1:47 pm

Quite good, quite good. And funny. :D
Awwww can't you have him throttle him like he did will Ozzel...I love Darth's strangling scenes.
Yeah, make him strangle the guy like he does to Bart... from five feet away. ;)
"But you can also purify enemies, and convert them to join your side. It's like being a Jehova's witness, except you hand out cans of whoop-ass instead of those Watchtower leaflets."
-- Ian Jones-Quarty, discussing La Pucelle Tactics
----------
"Aye, the Welsh and Gaelic languages are a sight to behold. You have to drink a LOT of magic beer to read them."
-- Unknown
hadisia
General Control Officer
General Control Officer

Post by hadisia » Thu Apr 11, 2002 4:09 pm

[Eagerly awaits more]
Out of curiousity, is Sideshow Bob going to be in this?
WELSH: What the hell was that?
FRASER: The sound of a grown man squealing in a manner not becoming a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
WELSH: Oh, Turnbull.
-"Mountie Sings the Blues," due SOUTH
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Apr 11, 2002 5:08 pm

Yeah, Darth Homer says: "Why you little!" *choke grip*

Stan, I don't think he meant to say that the Muslim missionaries are evil. The salesman... uh... SalesJawa probably just meant that he'd sell Bender there if Ned didn't want him. Heh, the door joke was fun...
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Karsten_Thiel

Post by Karsten_Thiel » Fri Apr 12, 2002 3:06 pm

Here we go. Part two, featuring a holographic message, an old Jedi Knight, a megalomanic Admiral and a hilariously serious Grand Moff.

Now, about some of your comments...
"(shakes his head) Sheesh, what a mess! Don't those Rebels
have a cleaning lady?"

*resists temptation to say* "Yes, or we did until this atrocity.."
*LOL* Great line!
"Lisa starts to run, but one of the
remaining troopers fires a small dart at her which hits
her in the arm."

Darts? The hell? What happened to the cool blue stun effect?!
Budget problems. Even the Empire has them. I was going to have one of the stormtroopers say, "Say what you want, I still think we need better weapons", but I dropped that line in favor of the "Lord Blubber" line. But I think I'll add it again.
"(fed up) Evil, eh? Well, in this case, I'll just sell
him to the Muslim missionary at the other side of
Beggar's Canyon!"

LOL Not run by a Mr Bin Laden is it? Awwwww baaadddd...I can't believe you put that in. Even *I* don't think their evil per say. Misguided perhaps, religious zealots probably, but this takes the piss.
I should have known that line would be misunderstood. :uhdrop:

I've added another sentence to it ("I bet they won't be nearly as choosy as you, you...Church Boy!") to show what the Head Jawa was trying to say. Feel free to interpret that, too, if you like.

As for the other references to Earth religions, they'll stay. This is just a parody, after all, and not to be taken too seriously, and like Steve said, you can't have Ned Flanders in a story without some references to Christianity, can you? :)

(And besides, I've never heard anyone complain about the fact that they had names like Luke, Ben, Owen and other English or at least English-sounding names in that "galaxy far, far away".)
Out of curiousity, is Sideshow Bob going to be in this?
I knew that question would come. ;)

But no, Bob won't be in the story. All roles are taken, and besides, I couldn't think of any character who would fit him.

And Darth Homer will not strangle the Captain. I think actually showing the "execution" would disrupt the flow of the story (and I just like his line "Say 'eep' while you still can."). And besides, if he were to strangle every single incompetent officer, he wouldn't have much time for anything else.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:49 pm

Just getting better and better. Abey-Wan is hilarious whenever he opens his mouth, and the highlights were the story of Bart's dad's death, as well as "your uncle talking". I loved the final scene as well, even though I've always pictured Smithers as Grand Moff Tarkin. Skinner looks the part, though. You've really made my day. I'm sorry this isn't a balanced review, I'm just so happy to read this wonderful parody. It has more than just a whiff of the magic of the original, too. As for the "it's your uncle talking" line, it actually improves on it. And the Sandbullies... great idea!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

hadisia
General Control Officer
General Control Officer

Post by hadisia » Sat Apr 13, 2002 3:17 am

Too funny! And Grandpa as Obi-Wan was a great idea - I was thinking of Robert as Obi-Wan.
ROBERT: ?
HADISIA: Don't ask.
WELSH: What the hell was that?
FRASER: The sound of a grown man squealing in a manner not becoming a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
WELSH: Oh, Turnbull.
-"Mountie Sings the Blues," due SOUTH