Review: The Saddest of Smiles

Futurama and The Simpsons fan fiction have been the staple of the Simpsons and Futurama Fanworks Central since its inception.
Forum rules
Things to remember when posting:
  • If you want a review please place REVIEW: at the start of the topic line
  • There may be some time between you posting and people replying, as our members do their utmost to read through a fic before telling you want they think
  • Reviews must be made with good grace and politeness. "It sucks" isn't a review.
  • Finally, please try to stay on topic. :)
hadisia
General Control Officer
General Control Officer

Review: The Saddest of Smiles

Post by hadisia » Sun May 12, 2002 2:35 am

Well, here it is, all seven chapters of it...in one document, due to the fact that I can't figure out just how the hell to post separate attachments in one post. Hopefully, it will make it to the much treasured fan fic area of the site...[hearts appear in eyes]
WELSH: What the hell was that?
FRASER: The sound of a grown man squealing in a manner not becoming a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
WELSH: Oh, Turnbull.
-"Mountie Sings the Blues," due SOUTH
Ja-chan

Re: Review: The Saddest of Smiles

Post by Ja-chan » Fri May 17, 2002 11:43 pm

... (blinks) I read this on fanfiction.net... just have to say, that... is this the Simpsons or Days of our Lives?

Drama is a good thing, but I'll say a few things I find wrong with this fic... it took me a while to remember, as I read, that
"Robbie" was Sideshow Bob... first of all, I'm just goanna point out that I find it lame to make up detailed, almost ridiculous backgrounds for characters that have none in the first place. When you wanna write about a character, only use what you know. (btw, if Sideshow Bob is bipolar/manic depressive, then I suppose Cecil, and any other light-hearted 'toon villain is too? heh. yeah, I doubt that.)

And I happen to know that dear *god*, Bob and Selma are the most inadequate couple ever. There is/was no love there, he only married her to try to kill her for his own scheme. Maybe he wanted to give her a romantic chance at first, but he put himself first. Bob is arrogant, daring and remorseless like that (apologizing to Bart? geez!). Yeah, and fat chance would Selma, a man-chaser who looks for a man who did not try to kill her, go back to him. you should know who a character is before you write about them -- see if they fit the role you want to see them in or not.

Beautiful story, but terribly wrong characters for it. You're a good writer, chickie, but don't focus on the Simpsons for such dramatic concepts.
Craig_Fotheringham

Post by Craig_Fotheringham » Sat May 18, 2002 4:21 am

Ja-chan, there have been plenty of brilliant Simpsonic dramas (this being one of them).

And what's this about characters that have no background at all? Whether they have background or not is completely adrift; that's what fan fiction is for, darling.
Dana
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Post by Dana » Mon May 20, 2002 2:10 am

Wow...this was 3D material...Deep, Dark & Depressing. :'(

But...very enjoyable once you've set yourself up for a dramatic read. Well done. Now I'm going to go read some Gary Larson before bed so I can go to sleep with a smile. ;)
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool. --George Carlin
Karsten_Thiel
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Karsten_Thiel » Mon May 20, 2002 5:12 pm

I'm afraid I can't say much about this one (I suck at reviewing :uhdrop: ). Suffice to say, it was very touching and depressing, and simply brilliant.
What flows from me nose does not go on the clothes.
Ange Faitore

Post by Ange Faitore » Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:07 pm

This is pretty good for a Bob story.
Most of the Bob stories on FanFiction.net are sex stories.
At least SOMEONE has decided to do a Bob fiction with substinance.
I do admit, most of my SSB stories are crossovers with Sonic The Hedgehog where Bob kidnapped Princess Sally.
Why the hell would Bob kidnap Princess Sally? She's a Squirrelchipmunk, for God's sake!
hadisia
General Control Officer
General Control Officer

Post by hadisia » Fri Aug 23, 2002 11:33 pm

Thank you, Ange-san. Though all I know of Sonic is that he has a little fox buddy with nine tails, I'd still like to see your fics.
Most of the Bob stories on FanFiction.net are sex stories.
I...don't wanna know.
FRASER: The sound of a grown man squealing in a manner not becoming a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
IDPStan
General Control Officer
General Control Officer

Post by IDPStan » Sat Aug 24, 2002 4:00 pm

Thank you, Ange-san. Though all I know of Sonic is that he has a little fox buddy with nine tails, I'd still like to see your fics.
Er...Tails (Sonic's fox buddy.) has *two* tails not nine. It probably just *looks* like nine when he's flying like a chopper.
Why is it always mayday to call for help? Why not something like…Shove Tuesday or Ascension Sunday? - Arnold Rimmer

You have joined the sacred order of The Stonecutters, who since ancient times, have split the rocks of ignorance that obscure the light of knowledge of light and truth. Now let's all get drunk and play Ping-Pong! - Number One
hadisia
General Control Officer
General Control Officer

Post by hadisia » Sat Aug 24, 2002 10:01 pm

Whoops, my bad. Haven't seen the show since I was six, so...
By the way, those, uh, fics?
Well, let's just say that Katherine-san gets first dibs riffing them.
[Returns to clawing at eyes]
Horrorhead
Sub-sector Control Officer
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by Horrorhead » Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:04 am

I also read this first on FF.net :) This story is pretty good and also touching... Much better than the other usual Bob-stories on FF.net.