Uh, trying to be less horrible at drawing.

The Simpsons and Futurama fan art as well as completely original works of art are welcome here. Please post sketches, models, photographs, completed art and everything in between, as long as you're happy with it as a finished item. Constructive criticism is given unless you make clear that you don't want it.
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Re: Uh, trying to be less horrible at drawing.

Post by Stretch_Dude » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:16 pm

I'd say it's more of a manila envelope stuffed with that fuzzy stuff they put in walls.
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Morpheus306
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Morpheus306 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:52 am

I'm going to try my best and not repeat what I've said so far.  My biggest question for this latest one is "what's the story"  What are these two doing?  I also have to second Stretch Dude on the ugliness of the female character.  Actually neither of them is very visually appealing.  I don't quite know what's going on with the boy's hair, it looks like he's wearing a crab claw.  And people have already mentioned the thing the boy is holding, what is it?  Also the boy looks way too much like Bart, I included a pic so you can see how to make them more appealing as well as tell a story.  I just went off of what I thought was going on, in this case these two are on a date and the girl sees another boy and waving to him.  With her date looking jealous.  Remember above all things clarity is the most important because the moment the viewer has to question what they're looking at you've lost their interest. 
Attachments
Pair.jpg
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:08 am

Actually, there is a reason he looks like Bart. I'd tell you myself, but I don't want to be responsible for the damage caused when your head hits your keyboard.

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
J2
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by J2 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:00 pm

Stretch Dude wrote: Actually, there is a reason he looks like Bart. I'd tell you myself, but I don't want to be responsible for the damage caused when your head hits your keyboard.
I redid Felecia and these two are part of a much bigger picture and their reaction is to what is going on is almost drawn.
J2
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by J2 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:17 am

I finally had time to do a nicer pic:

Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:10 am

Well, their skin doesn't look metallic anymore. That's something, at least.

I draw too, dammit!
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:23 am

I have to ask: why do you spend so much time heavily shading everything? The show isn't, except in extreme situations. And even that's minimal cel-shading.

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
Andreas
Advisory Technical Manager
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by Andreas » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:17 pm

Molloy the Catburglar wrote: I have to ask: why do you spend so much time heavily shading everything? The show isn't, except in extreme situations. And even that's minimal cel-shading.
Well, the actual show also doesn't feature Eric, does it? There's no rule that forbids heavy shading or introducing other characters in fanart. ;)
Andreas

AssistantCrone
Sub-sector Control Officer
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by AssistantCrone » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:49 pm

Assuming that the thread title still holds, behold the bucket o' concrit:

: Nice work with all the detail – I love that Goop dispenser and the 'Not Hiring' sign. The only exception is the popcorn, which should have a more knobbly shape to stop it looking like fluff.

: This version of Maggie looks much more understandable than the previous model. According to your redesign, though, this one needs some eyelashes, and the mass of her hair doesn't look the same. In this pic it has too many fluffy spiky bits to look solid.

: On the one hand, the heavy shading helps things look solid. On the other, it makes the pictures look very dark and I still see those light bits between shadow and outline (on limbs, for example, the dark shading should go all the way to the edge unless there's a backlighting source). It makes skin and clothing look far too shiny.

: The way you're drawing limbs now is an improvement – they're more cylindrical and done without those overlapping outlines – but they still look stiff, and stuck onto the body rather than coming out of it. I think that the arms need more of a curve, and that they might be too large on the younger kids. Maggie's left foot is bent the wrong way for the pose – either the left foot should be facing the same way as the right, or the bend in the knee should go the other way. The feet don't look like they quite meet the floor; I think they're tilted downward too much.

: Finally, faces -- there seems to be an unnecessary overlapping line where nose meets eyeball, on Felecia and the girl behind the counter. I'm not sure how much that sort of thing is officially used, but it makes the bridge of the nose look too long and thin.

Any chance you could post some construction-line-only sketches? It'd let us see how you're putting things together before all the lining and shading starts. In any case, good luck. :)
"Now, I know art is all about expressing ourselves, but today we're going to express ourselves by getting it right." --DB
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:47 pm

Andreas wrote: Well, the actual show also doesn't feature Eric, does it?
And thank heaven for that...

I draw too, dammit!