Offsite Fic Rec Thread!

Futurama and The Simpsons fan fiction have been the staple of the Simpsons and Futurama Fanworks Central since its inception.
Forum rules
Things to remember when posting:
  • If you want a review please place REVIEW: at the start of the topic line
  • There may be some time between you posting and people replying, as our members do their utmost to read through a fic before telling you want they think
  • Reviews must be made with good grace and politeness. "It sucks" isn't a review.
  • Finally, please try to stay on topic. :)
Tony_Baritone
Advisory Technical Manager

Re: Offsite Fic Rec Thread!

Post by Tony_Baritone » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:53 pm

It's so useful, it's invisible to mere mortals!  ;D
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:52 pm

Hmm. I'm not so sure about his main point: I tend to take the "naturalistic" view of dialogue, rather. (Though granted, I don't use a lot of "ums" and "ers" in my serious stuff. This merits thinking about.) Different strokes for different folks, I guess. And he does have some good points.

Haven't read the other links yet, will do soon...
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Tony_Baritone

Post by Tony_Baritone » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:41 pm

Dialogue is always a challenge.  I think all good writers know that real people aren't as routinely snappy and witty as movie characters, and so a sequence composed of one bon mot after another can reach diminishing returns in a hurry.  By the same token, if you want to pull your hair out, watch a program for a week and check the ads that they play three times per hour.  Bad, contrived writing gets exponentially worse with repetition.

The trick to using mundanity as emblematic of "reality" is to either make it revelatory about the character, or to use it alongside your most dramatic moments to underscore the suddenness of it all.  Similarly, I think a sliding scale exists as to when a character should break out the devastating lines, when to play it straight, and all points in between.  As always, YMMV.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:45 am

I agree with Tony!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:38 pm

Bumping this for a wonderful new fic I just found!

Five Things Maggie Simpson Never Said, by soundingsea.  Futurefic that examines Maggie's life in various alternate realities.  Beautifully actualized and written.
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:45 pm

Like Robin Hood?  Like 'Frama?  Want to combine them in two wild and wacky ways?  This crossover might be for you!
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"