A few Samplings..

The Simpsons and Futurama fan art as well as completely original works of art are welcome here. Please post sketches, models, photographs, completed art and everything in between, as long as you're happy with it as a finished item. Constructive criticism is given unless you make clear that you don't want it.
Grasper
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

A few Samplings..

Post by Grasper » Sun May 15, 2011 5:20 am

Howdy Ho

I just thought i would share a few of my peices that im quite impressed with.

The 11 doctors (hand drawn and digitally inked)

Lady GaGa (all digital used selma as a base from the play boy publicity photos)

Lady GaGa 2

Frank n Furter (all digital)

I would love to get some critque and feedback on these, i admit that what im showing is really my "best" work. But im still not happy with most of it (proportion and likeness etc)

Andy
Aim so Low no one will care if you fail..
Gulliver63
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Re: A few Samplings..

Post by Gulliver63 » Sun May 15, 2011 1:34 pm

Very creative! I can't wait to show the Doctors to my daughter. Hating to toot my own horn, if they will help, I have a couple of tutorials up at YouTube...these are for Leela and Amy, but many of the priciples are the same. I like to think of Groening bodies as round blobs. A typical head for a Groening character is what I call "a bowling ball on a pedestal with a duckbill." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB_UI3edMbM and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8wCYoX9NF4&NR=1 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQRJs3oJrw0&NR=1 . I really like the creativity you've shown here...
"We are today's creatures, locked in tomorrow's double feature..."
David Bowie
Grasper
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Grasper » Sun May 15, 2011 5:26 pm

wow thanks Gulliver means alot :-) will definatly check out your tutorials
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Sun May 15, 2011 8:01 pm

My review. Bear in mind, I'm not an artist and can't give you any useful advice. I'll leave that to the artists on the forum.

The Doctors: I'm not a Doctor Who fan, but these are very good!

First Lady Gaga: don't give them ideas! Actually, this is excellent. Very nice hair.

Second Lady Gaga: still good, though the body has some problems: her shoulders are a bit sloping and angular, and her hips and right leg (her right, our left) look odd. Her hands as well. Other than that, you've done a good job on the yellow tape and on her face (though that's almost a Leela-sized eye; I'm surprised she has room for another one). Just keep practising from tutorials and life-drawing, and bear in mind that hands are just about the hardest thing to draw. Your first Gaga picture has much better body proportions.

Frank N. Furter: wow, this brings back memories. You've done a very good job on his body, with great use of textures, though the leg that's lying over the other looks slightly odd, like it's too thin. There's something off about his face, though; the linework looks all right, but the colouring seems a bit sloppy. His mouth seems slightly off-centre as well. Apart from that, nice work.

All in all, keep up the good work. You may need to work more on body proportions and hands, but you've definitely got talent.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Sun May 15, 2011 8:19 pm

Hello there :)

Doctors are cool. Each one is individual and recognisable. My fav of your stuff so far ;D

Lady Gaga #1, the whole thing suits her, but I think you'd do better in the long run to use less of existing pictures. Sure, it's very valuable to study existing drawings, and try copying them to get a feel for proportions, keeping different textures in the 'house' style, etc. But by the time the whole pose is nearly the same too it's getting a bit much. Gaga #2 I much prefer, even though she looks a little less polished (right knee has a sightly distracting bulge under it, which I'd change).

Frank n Furter I think has some proportion problems - the head is just a bit too small for the rest of it. Simpson style does have ridiculously large heads though, which can feel wrong when drawing it. If you've got it saved in multiple layers, try making a few with different head/body ratios then hold them up near some existing character pictures to compare.
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
Grasper
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Grasper » Mon May 16, 2011 4:54 pm

Thanks everyone for your kind words & support, i'll take all the crit on board when im workin on future peices :)
Grasper
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Grasper » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:46 pm

Hey Guys im baaaack hehe.

ive been working ALOT of new simpsons caricature work for a few friends of mine at Roller Derby. and i though i would share with you guys, because i think most of what ive done is quite terrible i mean dont get me wrong im impressed with myself but not happy with the result. anyway i'll get the art do the talking.

these have all been drawn from scratch on paper then inked/coloured in photoshop so no using a charecter as a template etc like before :-) but all natural drawing hehe