Gulliver's Doodles...

Post your art here! While this is a Simpsons and Futurama website, feel free to post works for other fandoms or original works here as well.
Gulliver63
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Re: Gulliver's Doodles...

Post by Gulliver63 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:55 am

Someone the other day mentioned how much they liked one of my Flintstone/Futurama mash-ups, which I hadn't done in a while, so I decided to do a newer one.
Attachments
Plateau Express.jpg
"We are today's creatures, locked in tomorrow's double feature..."
David Bowie
Gulliver63

Post by Gulliver63 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:52 am

Did I ever share this? This started out as a simple Simpsorama study in faces. I must have been listening to some Peter Gabriel when I doodled it. I think he'd make a great guest on the Simpsons...
Attachments
Peter Gabriel Simpsons.jpg
David Bowie
Gulliver63

Post by Gulliver63 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:08 pm

This is actually part of another project; this poor moribund crewmember of the Nimbus is about to be turned into a cube by the Kelvins. Special effects will start up from the boots and work their way up. When she signed up for D.O.O.P., she never bargained on this.
Attachments
Cubism Red Shirt Dissolve.jpg
Cubism Red Shirt.jpg
David Bowie
Gulliver63

Post by Gulliver63 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:02 am

...and finally, here is the finished Star Trek piece. This is the second piece I did based on the old episode "By Any Other Name."
Attachments
Cubism_by_Gulliver63.jpg
David Bowie
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:59 pm

Never saw the Star Trek episode, but good picture, with cool outfits and very nice effects. Zapp's expression is a bit too corny (probably a taste thing), but I really like the other character designs. Leela looks particularly awesome. The background is pretty.

Also, those aliens need to work on their geometry. Those aren't cubes...
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Gulliver63

Post by Gulliver63 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:04 pm

Thanks! Actually, when I looked back over the photos from the show, I found that the cubes were a tetrakis hexahedron, or the same thing as a 24-sided game dice (I got this a bit wrong on the last pic I did of this episode). And they looked like that cardboard stuff on the show...

That's such a classic episode; a group of aliens called the Kelvins commandeers the ship to take it to the Great Barrier; all non-essential crew are reduced to those cubes for storage, which are literally the chemical compounds of what they are. The lead alien demonstrates his authority to Kirk by crushing one of the cubes, thus killing the poor red-shirt. The other cube he restores.
David Bowie
Gulliver63

Post by Gulliver63 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:08 pm

Kaspired showed you the finished Amy ape picture, and here is the sketch that started it all. The whole gag was based on an old project of mine, which was based on the Tim Burton "Planet of the Apes" movie ending. Morgan here looked boring, but I did put her aside for a later project. Amy looked good, but the standing pose was boring - I had her sitting on the limb. It was truly fun working with Mike - he just knows more than me, and has more of an art education than I do. He tweaked bits of it here and there, and we'd slide it back and forth. It still makes me proud that we were able to put both of our logos on the same finished piece.

The Morgan piece is being finished up - sadly, Dr. Banjo had to be left out of it, but he's kind of funny here. Morgan's ape hands still crack me up.
Attachments
POTA Morgan.jpg
Amy Monkey Develop.jpg
David Bowie
Gulliver63

Post by Gulliver63 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:28 am

Here is an unusual (but funny) request from over at Futurama Madhouse for a Zoidberg as Zod from Superman II.
Attachments
Zoidberg Zod.jpg
David Bowie
Gulliver63

Post by Gulliver63 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:42 am

This sketch will need explaining. Mike and I were entertaining the bunch from Tim's Madhouse in my dining room with some sketches, and he left this in one of my sketchbooks. It was so funny - Ted (Marloc) would say, "Draw the Professor," and we each would come up with a version of him. I found out very quickly from this exercise that Mike and I work completely differently, even from the beginning of the sketch. You'll notice that the captions are different - we were handing this thing back and forth. Later we ended up with the Amy/Ape sketch; it was a proud moment for me to see both of our logos on that one. I did want to show this off, as it was really cute. It was a fun weekend with the Futurama Madhouse gang here in Indy; next year we are talking about doing the get-together in Washington State.
Attachments
House Sketch.jpg
David Bowie
kaspired
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by kaspired » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:11 pm

Oh yeah, now I remember that one. It was the initial warm-up drawing. That little thing set the whole tone.

We do draw very differently, no doubt of that. It's always amazed me how fast you can finish one of these. Usually by the time I've even decided to go for a drawing, you're done and moving on to the next one. The monkey/Amy drawing we did in an hour and a half, but my Leela poolside drawing was maybe twenty-twenty five hours start to finish (with 65 colors).

That was a seriously fun weekend. I hope I didn't wear out my welcome, at least not too very much. If next year happens in Washington, I'd definitely want to be there.
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.
Gulliver63

Post by Gulliver63 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:04 pm

Wear out your welcome? You and the rest of the gang are welcome by any time. I'll cook for you guys again. I'm still hoping to get out your way, although I don't know how soon that can happen.

The first thing I noticed was how you lay down those pencil lines for composition; I've actually started using that tecnique for several of my latest projects. My speed still owes a bunch to my college education, which was in commercial art; they would tell us that critique was going to be in three hours, and we scrambled to get things done. I've had very few projects in these recent years take more than four hours, and I've had to slow things down to focus more on quality issues. I think another difference is that I get to doodling in a particular area, and you work more on the overall picture. Like I told you that weekend, I learn something new everytime I pick up a pencil. I probably learned more from you in one weekend then in some of my college courses. Mike, I look forward to there being another museum trip sometime.
David Bowie
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:01 am

This might sound silly, but one of the high points was giving away some of my drawings. I'm glad you and Tim snagged some.
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.
Gulliver63

Post by Gulliver63 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:29 am

That was a big point for me as well; I'm so happy to autograph and date those. I really liked the way you had yours displayed in those "books" with the plastic covers; mine are just all over the place in files and folders. I just hope we can do it again next year, with more folks to share them with.
David Bowie
Gulliver63

Post by Gulliver63 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:07 pm

I originally designed this dress for a Futurama OC back in January, and wanted to see what it looked like on Marge Simpson. It's a little longer on Marge, more like her canon outfit. I needed a name for it, so I call it "Davies 2" after the OC. It's a simple dress, with what you might call a cadet collar with two irregular sized buttons for decoration. I wanted to try some different looks for Marge.
Attachments
Marge Davies 2.jpg
David Bowie
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Mon May 12, 2014 1:20 pm

That's a very nice-looking dress, with a lovely colour. Looks pretty good on her, too.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.