REVIEWS: Future Trauma

Did you write something for the Simpsons, Futurama, original fiction or another fandom? Feel free to post it here!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

REVIEWS: Future Trauma

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:02 pm

A Futurama fic, written as a Christmas present for Missy, about Fry's and Leela's life after they get married. Mainly from Leela's perspective.

I won't say more about it, since that would spoil all my attempts to mislead the reader the plot. Not as dark as the title may make it out to be, but definitely dramatic.

If you don't want to open a Word document, just tell me and I'll upload it in some other format.

EDIT: For the record, Veklerov is a cameo by a character Graham created for his Parallel Lives. (Link goes to a work-in-progress thread.) Munda Jr's looks are based on his concept for Fry's and Leela's daughter, as well.

EDIT EDIT: Re-uploaded to fix a small but stupid continuity error.
Attachments
future trauma.doc
(79.5 KiB) Downloaded 858 times
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Re: REVIEWS: Future Trauma

Post by gkscotty » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:51 pm

As is tradition with Futurama fics, I'm a couple of months late.

Really nice view of the future timeline, almost idealised but with an interesting dark twist.
Spoiler

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:04 pm

Eee, downloading and will read soon - and will come back with full feedback!
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:28 am

And I am back - ridiculously late to my sadness, it's been a long six months. But now that I have time to properly settle in and read the fic!! THANK YOU so much for writing this for me - as always it means so much when you give me gift fic, I'm sorry my review is so late.

Chris, as always this is perfectly, beautifully arranged and written. I loved the teeny details - those are always rich in your stories - the Lucha masks on the hospital room wall, the fact that Fry and Leela have a Yugo (Leela won that argument, didn't she?), and their kid is named after YANCY and MUNDA aww!

I love that you wrote me a war story! A lovers-kept-apart-by-war-but-not-quite by war story! And I love your take on Fry and Leela; she is completely herself, tough but tender with him, loving her family but driven by her skills to do more. Their marriage contains the right combination of the mundane and the fantastic; the Professor, in head form, is still running things (with an iron nose!), Amy the pilot, and Munda and Morris are still in their lives, and just everything. The quiet moments and the big ones, all are supurb.

The way you unfold the mystery of why Leela's not flying anymore, and why she's been drafted into service kept me reading faithfully.

Deeper details:
Spoiler
This was heartbreaking in the best of ways and I truly yearn for more of this universe - does Leela ever come to grips with what she's learned?
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"