Plot Bunny Shelter!

Did you write something for the Simpsons, Futurama, original fiction or another fandom? Feel free to post it here!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Re: Plot Bunny Shelter!

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:49 pm

Sounds like a very cool idea. And I don't see a reason that you can't use all those plotlines!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:21 pm

I'm thinking of making it a Round Springfield sort of multi-plot story, with everything coming together at a school assembly. MAYBE.
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:37 am

A Futurama idea. I rather like this one, but I don't think I have the background knowledge needed to write it, for reasons soon to become clear.

"Equinelibrium": Fry, Bender, and most other young men in New New York become obsessed by My Little Mimic, a colourful and childlike show about little horses and their friendship-related morals that starts airing in the same time-slot after Leela's children's show gets cancelled. However, when the Earth government bans the show for no reason other than being dicks, Fry and Bender (maybe some other guys too, such as Cubert) leave Earth to search for the planet of the Mimics, and their colleagues try to find them.

My proposed ending (though you're free to use your own):
Spoiler
So yeah, if you couldn't tell, this is a really obvious parody of My Little Pony and the brony fandom, and should probably be written by someone who knows the fandom and all its in-jokes.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:11 pm

Oh man, this would be fun to work on!

*Tosses out alternate ending idea*
Spoiler
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:42 pm

Also an interesting idea!

Anyone who wants to write this story is welcome to it.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Nidotamer
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Nidotamer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:12 pm

So I got a few bunnies to donate.

(present) After an ugly incident at a sleepover, Lisa finally decides to confront her friend but the problem isn’t as totally one-sided as it seems. (main players: Lisa, Janey, Sherri, Terri, Allison)
-Mostly brought on by frustrations towards a lot of Lisa eps to constantly play the "they don't like her because she's smarter than them!" despite Allison... y'know, being Allison. And yes she's been used as one of the "eeeeevil" kids too. Yet ironically the writers end up accidentally making it less then one-sided, they just... never acknowledge of her problems... beyond "better than everyone else" yeah.

(present) Janey finally decides to make a move on gaining Milhouse’s affections… and more than happy to try and take him away from anybody else he knows, leading her into a battle with Bart over Milhouse’s loyalty. Or just clinginess? (main players: Janey, Bart)
-More of a "let's put these two together in a plot" namely Bart and Janey in this case.

(THOH) Van Houten- The greatest/only monster hunter of all time is called in to deal with his worst/only foe yet: The evil Bartula and his brides. (main players: Milhouse, Lisa, Bart)
-Not sure who'd be the "brides"... Jess is a shoe-in but the other two...

(present) Allison creates a custom backdrop/scenery for some toys of hers which catches some attention from her friends. Soon she finds that some of the other kids that are willing to pay for sets of their own. Unfortunately word spreads even further and she finds herself becoming overworked but unwilling to let her clients down... (main players: Allison)
-Something for Allison to do! Kinda playing on kindness without really resorting to "everyone else is a meanie pants to her"

Dunno if I'd be able to do all of them... or any. So I guess I'm putting some up here on the off-chance someone wants to try their hand at writing any of those. I also can't think of titles to save my life. :V

Guess there's other ideas I could get but they're probably too specific to my own little... universe? I dunno if some personal plot-bunny thread would work for that but it'd come too close to those "episode ideas" threads I suppose... Ah well.
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
---- Harry Potter and the Portrait of what Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:11 pm

Nidotamer wrote:(THOH) Van Houten- The greatest/only monster hunter of all time is called in to deal with his worst/only foe yet: The evil Bartula and his brides. (main players: Milhouse, Lisa, Bart)
-Not sure who'd be the "brides"... Jess is a shoe-in but the other two...
Gina and Nikki? Neither of them are evil, but they come closer than the other Bart girlfriends.
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:43 pm

Yeah that'll do. Close enough to evil and I'd have no opposition to them getting staked.:P
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:58 pm

Also that rewrite idea does sound intriguing. Especially considering that a lot of the eps I realllllllly didn't like (even all team least favourite... hopefully stays that way) actually could be made to work it it was, like, stripped down to bare bones and nearly all the 'jokes' stripped bare. Like a lot of situations with some twisting could be made to be funny or interesting instead of vapid.

Then again that'd mean actually watching the miserable pile again... I'm conflicted...
------
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:07 am

More rewrites is always interesting, so if you want to do it, go ahead! You can always just read the screenplay if watching it is too annoying.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:22 pm

I'm going to necro this thread to talk about a story idea that has been alternatively simmering and boiling in me, but I never get around to it. It's a relatively fleshed out idea with a lot of attached plot points, and even though details could be greatly changed, the structure is more or less fixed in my mind. Here it goes.

The setup.

The protagonist (who I'm going to tentatively name Julie) wakes up one night during a dream in which she's floating in midair. She finds out, to her shock, that she is floating in midair, a couple of inches above her bed.
Julie is approximately 15 years old, daughter of a single mom of a middle-to-lowish class, possibly with an older sister. During the next few days, her sleep is filled with dreams of oddly specific places, especially of an alley near her house. In the meantime, she befriends another girl (haven't picked a name, but I wanted something vaguely old-sounding), who doesn't seem to live or study near her, but just appears one day.
One night, she finds herself floating again. Growing restless and scared, she goes to the alley she has dreamed of multiple times already. As she walks through it, she feels like she's going into a hypnagogic state, and finds herself in a totally new place--a dull looking inside of a building, filled with corridors and doors arranged in a perfectly logical but perhaps geometrically impossible way. In there, she's greeted by her friend, who's very happy to see she's finally made it there. To Julie's surprise, her friend is hovering in midair. Julie runs away and ends up back in the alley, alone.

The development.

Due to the recurring dreams and talking to her friend, Julie learns that the mysterious place is real, though not properly physical, and it has been created for people to develop psychic abilities which every human being is capable of using, but most are unaware of. Though the place has no formal name, it's referred to as the Academy, and it consists holds many different classes, each for a different ability: telekinesis, hovering (which is a variation of telekinesis), flying (advanced hovering), telepathy, remote sight, electromagnetism, etc. Julie decides to enroll in a few of the classes, with a great interest in hovering, due to her sleep incidents. She finds it very difficult to keep up with the pace of the classes, but she doesn't realise that she is, in fact, going much faster than her colleagues; a fact her teacher quickly notices.
The teacher, a lady named Carol, talks to Julie about her faster pace of learning. Julie eventually learns that, in fact, she wasn't supposed to even be there: new students are always guided to the Academy by another student, and aren't supposed to learn of its existence on their own, much less wake up hovering over their beds. Julie is, in fact, a rare case of a person whose abilities developed on their own. This is a problem to the Academy, since they're very secretive and worry about when and how the knowledge about these abilities should be revealed to the public at large, if at all. Julie grows frustrated by how out of place she is, and by how futile it is to learn abilities she shouldn't use in the real world, and Carol tries to support her, making it clear that those abilities are important to learn and develop in spite of that.
Julie eventually learns of a group of students who, also frustrated by this, start thinking of using their abilities in the real world, as a group of vigilantes. They decide to attack a gang of muggers, even though their abilities are severely underdeveloped, and Julie decides to go along to provide help is needed. In the end, the attack is a huge disaster, and Julie has to save her colleagues; in the process, one of the muggers catches fire, and no one has any idea of how. The group of students determine that this should be an absolute secret.
Julie worries so much that she dreams she's in the Academy, where the headmaster warns them that they will find out of about it. Unsurprisingly, the Academy does find out, and Julie is called to see the headmaster. During the meeting, Julie learns that her dream was not a dream; instead, she was brought into the Academy against her will during sleep, and the idea of being kidnapped like that horrifies that. The gist of the meeting is that Julie should be promptly expelled from the Academy for her actions (which entails losing her abilities permanently), but she can't, because she has an extraordinarily rare ability: setting fire to things. The Academy wishes to study her and learn how this ability works, and Julie is forced to cooperate if she wishes not to be expelled.
Julie has to attend weekly meetings with teachers, in which she has to reproduce her ability, but she's unable to do so. Carol, by her own insistence, participates in the meetings, even though she's looked down on by the other teachers due to her lower ranking and her preference to work in the classroom instead of producing research. Julie doesn't understand what exactly causes her fire ability to work, which frustrates and angers the teachers. Eventually, through very taxing sessions, she learns that the ability is triggered by an emotional response, and she grows exhausted of the meetings, despite Carol's best efforts to help her and her mysterious friend's support.

The (perhaps spoilery) conclusion.
Spoiler
The motivation (a.k.a. why this is not Harry Potter, I swear).
Spoiler
I'm quite in love with that idea, and I've even written some of it, but I'm not up to the task of writing it right now; there's another story which I'm more inclined towards, and writing is pretty low in my priorities at the moment, as my music is taking most of my time. Maybe some of you could share your own thoughts about it, and that could even rekindle my desire to work on it. I'm aware of the unfortunate Harry Potter parallels (not that I dislike Harry Potter, but I'm really trying to go through a different path here--I like the idea of creating a world where psychic powers are utterly mundane and academic and there's nothing wondrous and magical about it, and also the idea that every person could develop those abilities by training alone, even though some are able to develop it better than others, just like any other ability), and there are certainly parallels to many other stories I'm not aware of. This in fact doesn't discourage me, but encourages me to find out what's different (and perhaps unique) to this one idea of mine, and flesh it out further. I also just really like Julie as a character: I imagine her being caught right in the middle of teenage angst and flippancy, showing upfront contempt to the things that displease her, including herself, through acts of self-destruction. I like to picture her as impatient and cocky, a bit pedantic, but not entirely unpleasant; you can break through her shell and she won't be uncomfortable by being vulnerable, and maybe, just maybe, she'll even tell you about the things she likes.

... well, it felt good letting all that out. I hope something usable or useful will come out of it.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:34 pm

Sounds like you a good story, even if it might not really be my kind of thing.

My interest flagged a bit once the Academy showed up: not because it reminded me of Harry Potter in particular, just because that's such a common feature in, well, most supernatural stories with young adult protagonists. (I thought about the X-Men as well.) But then, it turns out that you address the triteness of that type of story quite well, so that's not a complaint. Several interesting plot points here, and Julie sounds like a good and well-rounded character.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:08 pm

I'm sorry I didn't reply to your comment earlier, Chris, but I'm really thankful for the input! In fact, I didn't remember X-Men at all, and I only referred to Harry Potter because it's the first one that struck me as having a feature very similar to mine. In principle I didn't intend on this being a critique of that kind of story--I believe it would take a writer more skilled and more knowledgeable than me to pull that off well. :)
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão