GAME: Slaying the Heartworm

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

GAME: Slaying the Heartworm

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:39 am

I made another text adventure for the mini-LD game jam. The theme was "boss battle", which was challenging to me since I work in text-based gaming, not something you normally associate with high-stakes real-time battles. So I put a more adventure game spin on it. Slay the Nidhoggr-style serpent that's gnawing at the roots of the world.

Really quickly made (time was an issue, since I'm going away for a week), so it could probably be a lot better, but it's definitely playable.

Can be played online or downloaded here (press the "Web" link to play online). A walkthrough is available.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Re: GAME: Slaying the Heartworm

Post by SirMustapha » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:25 pm

Pretty impressive, especially considering the time constraint. If you found means to expand that game a little somehow, I think it would be worth it. It's quite intense, despite the length, and a good solution to a boss-battle theme. Kind of a text-based Shadow of the Colossus thing.
Spoiler
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:08 pm

Yup, quite enjoyable. My only criticism would be that
Spoiler
. But fun.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:02 pm

Whoa, thanks for the kind words! And yes, "Shadow of the Colossus" was definitely an inspiration.

I'm kind of disappointed in the gameplay (I couldn't think of any good or original puzzles), but I'm pretty happy with the setting and writing.

@Steve:
Spoiler
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.