REVIEW [TABF22]: Halloween of Horror

Discuss The Simpsons, Futurama and other Groening related stuff. Remember Life in Hell?
Forum rules
When posting reviews of new episodes, please be sure to add "REVIEW:" to the start of your title so the software knows that it's a review.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

REVIEW [TABF22]: Halloween of Horror

Post by missy_misery » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:40 am

Spoiler
it's been a long time since I've said "Download an episode." Go find this. go watch it. It's pretty close to perfect to my utter shock.
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Re: REVIEW [TABF22]: Halloween of Horror

Post by Stretch_Dude » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:48 am

Welp, beaten to the punch. But I 120% agree with Missy here. See this one. I don't care how bitter and disillusioned with the show you are, see it.
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Nidotamer
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Nidotamer » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:19 am

I'm wondering, is this still one of the holdovers? They usually have those at the start of the season but this was so utterly different.
Spoiler
So uh... yeah.
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
---- Harry Potter and the Portrait of what Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:00 pm

@May - according to production codes this is from season 26 - ironically produced just after Every Man's Dream. What is it with this show that it can somehow spit out the very best and the very worst in the same season. There's three more episodes with that production code left to air.
Spoiler
SERIOUSLY, go download this guys!

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:02 am

Alright, alright, stop everything. Not only is this episode uncharacteristically good for the late seasons, but it's uncharacteristically good for the show.

What I mean is, for once, it felt like they had something interesting to say about Halloween without making themselves look super edgy about it. There was relevant commentary being made here, but they weren't patting themselves on the back for it (I'm thinking Itchy & Scratchy & Marge here, mostly), and instead focused on the family relationships and let that tell the story. That's airtight, emotionally relatable writing right there, and I'd expect that only from the crop of the cream of classic Simpsons episodes. And on top of that, not a single moment was wasted or missed its mark. Not a single one! I'm used to groaning quite frequently with recent episodes, but in this one, it never happened.
Spoiler
No appeal to the common denominator, no sacrificing plot or characterisation for obvious humour... I wonder if this is a sort of "last stand" from the crew to show they still can be good if left to their own devices? Like "this is what the show looks like without popular pressure or executive meddling"? I can only hope this isn't like a warrior's final, heroic push before they fall. But still, it was more than worth it. I'm a happier person now.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:58 am

Toldja it was amazing! :D

Now I wanna know who wrote this episode.

Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:30 am

https://simpsonswiki.com/wiki/Carolyn_Omine

It's kinda strange she came out with something this good considering the other episodes her name is attached to in some way or another. Well, I though Dial N for Nerder was pretty good but otherwise nothing that really comes up to this level. Though at the same time none of the stuff she's sole writer for occur to me as outright bad. She's also credited as the writer for "Gal of Constant Sorrow" so we'll see if she's really stepped up or if this was a fluke. Let's hope the former.
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
---- Harry Potter and the Portrait of what Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:18 am

Let's knock wood because wow, fantastic work, everything else she's done doesn't come close.