The Weekly Simpsons Watch (next up, Venture!)

Talk about whatever you like here!
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Re: The Weekly Simpsons Watch

Post by gkscotty » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:35 pm

I wouldn't want the watch rescheduled for my benefit if it meant you couldn't make it. Go ahead and do it on Saturday.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:09 pm

We finished watching Nadesico! Fun was had by all. Well, mostly, I know I liked it.

We're currently debating what to watch next. Suggestions I've particularly liked include:

The Venture Brothers
Baccano!
Cowboy Bebop
Kill la Kill
The Saga of Tanya the Evil

So far it seemed pretty anime dominated. What do people think? Any other suggestions? Naturally remember it need to be free or inexpensive to watch this.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:18 pm

Attack On Titan is available via Crunchyroll (as can Tanya The Evil).
Also Black Lagoon can be found on the youtube (sub rather than dub EDIT: I actually meant the exact opposite of this. It's dubbed).
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:24 pm

You know I love VB and Baccano!, but I'm not opposed to any of the others. And personally prefer subtitles if it's all the same.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:25 pm

Venture Bros. and Cowboy Bebop are options I put my vote in, but I'd be happy with other suggestions too. Baccano looked particularly interesting.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:01 pm

With the new season a-comin' next year, my vote's for VB.
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:25 pm

OK then the question is how can we all acquire Venture Brothers?

gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:31 pm

Since we don't have much time to get things together this week, perhaps we shall just watch two Futuramas

D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:05 pm

So, I've bounced this off a couple of people and got positive results, so I figured I'd see what people say here.

Essentially, I'm not sure we're going to find another tv show we're going to be all keen on watching and have access to. Futurama is a bit of a special case as it's so closely tied to OFF and we all have dvds, but there's not many episodes of that before we get into the various films and later seasons thanks to its turbulent lifetime. Venture Brothers may come close, but after that it's all getting a bit dicey.

What I'd propose then is we do a new thing. Specfically, seeing as this is primarily a fanworks place, I think we should start having a 'Creativity Hour' instead.

Ground rules:
  • We set aside a particular hour ever week (the current time of the rewatches, if we're replacing that entirely).
  • Folks work on some sort of creative project during that hour - writing, drawing, music, coding, whatever you're up to
  • It's strongly encouraged, but not compulsory, that after the hour's up you post whatever you've been doing during that time
  • It's strongly encouraged, but not compulsory, that you comment on things people post, either concrit or just 'jolly good'
  • Given the above, it's probably good if you can pick something to work on you can reasonably get done in an hour, or some discrete subtask of a larger project. Nail a chapter opening, fully animate some doors, see how many hands you can draw in 60 mins. That sort of thing.
I'm guessing that we wouldn't be very chatty while working on stuff (perhaps a bit of swearing intot he chatwindow when something isn't working) but think we'd probably make up for it afterwards. I suspect it would just be nice to have an hour a week set aside specifically for this sort of stuff.

What do people think?
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:08 pm

I'm up for anything that gets more people doing creative stuff.

Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:41 pm

I could behind this get, yes.
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Nidotamer
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Nidotamer » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:21 am

Yeah that could work!
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
---- Harry Potter and the Portrait of what Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:05 pm

I'd totally be on board with this!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:53 pm

So, I guess we'll give this a go! As things have turned out, however, (which I really ought to have realised when I made my previous post...) I'm going to be in LA for work for the next two Saturdays so wont be around. So I guess either we can either hang on for an extra week after that and start this on the 20th, or if anyone else wants to do the small amount of organising necessary the rest of you could give it a go this/next week, and I'll join in when I return?
- Sydney Brenner
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:10 pm

Well there is the matter of when.

Given that we have shows we're watching we're probably not going to stop having the rewatches for now, right? And I'm not up for having creativity hour before the rewatch because I've been streaming then fairly regularly for most of a year now, assuming those who were watching me want that to continue...

What about Friday or Sunday?

And I'm not going to be about much the next two coming weekends either.