Creativity Hour works thread

Talk about whatever you like here!
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Re: Creativity Hour works thread

Post by Meteorite » Sun May 13, 2018 11:28 pm

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Mon May 14, 2018 4:03 am

I read this new part, Alex, and the only thing in my mind right now is that very last line, and the fact that you wrote it and I didn't.

From now on we are enemies, you and I.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
Nidotamer
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Nidotamer » Mon May 14, 2018 8:25 am

Well since it's May and apparently there's something to do with Mermaids...

Also a second version I drew later just for kicks.
Attachments
somethingfishy.png
somethingfishy2.png
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
---- Harry Potter and the Portrait of what Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Mon May 14, 2018 2:20 pm

Now some proper comments. I really enjoyed the new part of Chrisfic. Fry is wonderfully Fry in this, and Cyrus's role was really funny. The masculinity thing is dealt quite brilliantly.

Alexfic. It sucks to admit this, but for the first time in this story, it felt to me like the character's actions in the second half felt like they were done more "because the plot needs it" rather than "because the characters are like this". Also,
Spoiler
I think the ending was wonderful, though, and it made my heart all warm and fuzzy. So... I guess it was worth it? I feel bad for making this criticism because I admire how invested you were into making this, and you clearly put a huge lot of thought and care into it. And like I said, that ending line. Damn. I'm so envious.

May pics are just excellent. A hilarious concept, and their expressions are priceless. I also love the flowing lines and the weightless pose of Mermerri, and how the two versions give a slightly different mood: the first one lighter and more carefree, the second one more dynamic more concise. I can't tell which one is my favourite. I like the soft colours on the second one, though Fishouse's expression on the first one is funnier.
-- Falcão
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by Meteorite » Mon May 14, 2018 9:53 pm

Thank you Fernie. I wish I could say I took your criticism gracefully, because you've raised some good points, but like the idiot I am, I worked myself up over it. But I like to think I've calmed down enough now to think rationally.

I do see, or rather, felt what you mean by it being plot-driven. I will admit it felt like I was fighting with the story the entire time I was writing it, but I can't really say I agree with it not being character driven... well, maybe Rarity, I don't know.
Spoiler
But in any case, please don't feel bad about what you said; if anything it highlighted the fact that, yes, I did rush this part out too soon, I goddamn knew it, and my god I need to be better about not working myself up over nothing.

(and please don't be my enemy, I like you)

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open

Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Tue May 15, 2018 12:59 am

I made an artist nervous with my criticism and I'm not proud of it! Man, I'd be one shitty critic, wouldn't I? ;D
Meteorite wrote:I will admit it felt like I was fighting with the story the entire time I was writing it, but I can't really say I agree with it not being character driven...
Yes, I think you're correct. The characters are still there and they're totally recognisable. I think it's difficult to distinguish characterisation from "author intrusion" in this case because their motivations are so complex. And it's no wonder you felt you're fighting the story. It's a hard scene to write! And honestly, I don't think I could do any better. And your explanation about the spoilered bit is convincing, it does makes sense. It's easy to get a narrative bogged down by explanations and justifications, and it might've been a better idea to avoid that. In the end, I was passionate about this story, and I find that I still am. I'm happy you defended your work, and I admire you even more now. As for getting worked up over nothing; we're artists, man! Being nervous and insecure is part of the ride. :D
Meteorite wrote:(and please don't be my enemy, I like you)
Hrrm, alright. I don't exactly have an abundance of people who like me, so I gotta preserve the few I've got! ;D
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Tue May 15, 2018 10:12 pm

@May: both pics are very good, in my opinion, but I agree that the second is a lot more dynamic. The first one isn't bad by any stretch, though.

I've read about 1/3 of Meteoritestory. Holding off judgement until I'm finished, but so far this chapter is really well-written and good in general. I even got a bit of a lump in my throat when
Spoiler
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Thu May 17, 2018 10:06 pm

Finally finished reading the Meteoritestory chapter.

First, a note on taking criticism: we all say "I want con-crit, make it as harsh as you can," but... let's face it, we don't really. (Or maybe stronger people than I do.) My supervisor at university compared reading reviews of her books to being flayed alive, and she was 50+ years old with lots of publications under her belt.

Me? I like this chapter and don't really see Fernie's problem (which of course isn't to say that I'm right and he's wrong). The only thing that possibly felt contrived was Meteorite's anger at the end; I can see her being upset, but being angry at Rarity seems unmotivated. On the other hand, this part did a much better job explaining *why* she feels she doesn't have a right to date Rarity, and it makes a lot of sense.

Writing's still very good, especially the first few pages. Rarity's planning at the start is very much in character. The bit with the stallion at the restaurant is a great way to bring on Meteorite's realisation, and "I didn't think you would actually slow down" is a great line. So I have very little to nitpick at here; keep it up. (And Fernie's right, the very last sentence is great as well.)

Spelling nitpick: the D in "maître d'" shouldn't be capitalised; and "wringed" should be "wrung". (There are a couple of typoes and missing words as well, but that's understandable given that it's a creativity hour work, and easily fixed with a read-through.)
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by Meteorite » Thu May 17, 2018 11:14 pm

Thank you Chris. I have to agree with you about Meteorite being angry; mainly because now looking over it, I had actually completely omitted the reason why (well, not completely; it's mentioned way in the beginning of the story, when Alexandra brings it up at the end of Act I, but I forgot to highlight it again here, so I should probably do that at some point)
Spoiler
So yeah, totally dropped the ball on that!

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Thu May 17, 2018 11:37 pm

That makes perfect sense, Alex. I did actually guess that might be the case when reading the chapter, but that was partly because you referred to the reason for her anger in your reply to Fernie. Add some hints about why she gets angry, and you'll be good.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Fri May 18, 2018 12:13 am

Yep, what Chris said. That would make that chapter virtually perfect.
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun May 20, 2018 9:26 pm

Drew a space marine from my Warhammer 40k army, Sgt. Martel of the Destroying Angels, nicknamed "the Rolling-Mill".

Backstory: she really likes killing heretics.
Bio: SHE GOT HER WISH!

EDIT: I decided to draw her out of armour, and there's not a lot of art showing what space marines wear underneath, but this pic made for a good reference. Long robes seem suitably easy to draw monastic.
sgt martel.jpg
Last edited by c_nordlander on Sun May 20, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by Meteorite » Sun May 20, 2018 9:35 pm

My next part. I usually try to say something funny here, but... *shrug* I just... like this part.

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon May 21, 2018 9:05 pm

And so you should. Extremely well-written, and has a very sweet ending.

I agree with the others that you can probably end here; provided of course that you don't have anything more you want to tell. Obviously if you have more stuff to put in you should go for it, but it does seem like a natural endpoint.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun May 27, 2018 9:05 pm

Decided to try drawing a Zelda sprite for if there'd been a non-sucky 90s game where she was the player character. Feel free to give con-crit if you want; I'm a complete noob at sprite art.
Attachments
legend of link.png
legend of link.png (825 Bytes) Viewed 3652 times
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon