Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Re: Creativity Hour works thread

Post by Nidotamer » Sun May 26, 2019 11:53 pm

"hmph! Buttface!"
Attachments
huff.png
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
---- Harry Potter and the Portrait of what Looked Like a Large Pile of Ash
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Mon May 27, 2019 8:34 pm

@Alex: I haven't seen the episode your story's based on, but fortunately that didn't harm it in the slightest. From the title I was expecting a horror story, but that turned out not to be the case; very harsh and powerful, though. The writing is good. I especially like the ending after Alexandra leaves: some real primal fears for us writers, there. I like how honest you are in these Meteorite stories; wish most writers had your courage.

"and were this any other time and were she somewhere safe away from him, she would have heartily mocked his red and black colouration." *LOL* EDIT: Thinking about it, I think this is so funny because I get the impression this is how a large part of the fanbase feel about Sombra.

Possibly typo: "murmur of an intelligible crowd", should it be "unintelligible"?

@May: simple (at least it looks simple to my non-drawing eyes, but full-body shots never are) but good! Nice angle and colouring.
Last edited by c_nordlander on Tue May 28, 2019 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Post by Meteorite » Tue May 28, 2019 3:56 am

Yeah, I meant unintelligible. Fixed!

And thanks. Honesty when writing Meteorite is a big factor I try to keep in mind (because let's face it, if I tried to get away with bullshit, she'd call me out on it), but it does mean sometimes I have to face aspects of me/her I'd rather not think about.

It wasn't fun writing this, but... I suppose that's the point.

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Wed May 29, 2019 12:35 am

Gonna comment now before it's too late.

I love the pic, May. The colouring and shading are great, make her feel very physical. Pose and expressions are up to your usual standards, which I really enjoy.

The story honestly made me feel bad, which is good, of course. It's really well executed, and it's clear you're getting into some pretty delicate territory, Alex. I reads like something that needed to be done.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:06 pm

My second try at making a roughly NES-era Zelda sprite. Two stages of a walk cycle. Work in progress; feel free to suggest improvements.
Attachments
zeldasprites.png
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:27 am

It's definitely coming along so far. I guess the important thing is how NES-ish you wanna make it, you just want the general look of the sprite or go for the same kind of colour limitations?

I worked a bit on writing, not enough to show though. I also did this much quicker.
Attachments
stinkytiredbunny.png
------
"Harry tore his eyes from his head and threw them into the forest. Voldemort raised his eyebrows at Harry, who could not see anything at the moment."
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:41 pm

I ended up unavailable for creativity yesterday, as I got busy all afternoon, so I'll try to make up my non-creativity by being more creative during the week... hopefully...

I like the sprites, Chris! They do look the style you wanted to give them. Only suggestion I give is to maybe try to make the eyes bigger. The size does look right, but they kinda disappear if I zoom out.

The bunny looks lovely! The shading gives her a nice volume, and the expression is adequately sleepy.
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:56 pm

Thank you both! I'm not really going for a colour limitation (well, I don't want to use every single colour in the palette either, but that's just a taste thing). It won't have to function on an actual NES, after all.

@Fernie: thanks for the con-crit, I might make her eyes bigger and see if it looks better.

The rabbit is lovely. It's possible that the pose of her back legs looks a bit odd, but you have a lot more bun experience than I.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:32 pm

I really, really doubt I can do tonight. This computer, it won't stop freezing up or crashing and I can't even do a diskcheck on it... I'm scared...
------
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:53 pm

Time for a complete OS reinstall? Hopefully it's just some software corruption.

I intended to join today, but there's been a change of plans and I won't be available again. But I did do some music work through the week, and I might have something so show shortly!
-- Falcão
Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:18 pm

Apparently hard drive failure... In less than three months I sincerely wish I was dead right now
------
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:27 am

At least it’ll still be under warranty.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
Nidotamer

Post by Nidotamer » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:33 pm

They said it only lasts for 30 days on the phone...
------
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Post by Meteorite » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:51 pm

I've written a beginning to my bit about Meteorite and Sombra. I suppose technically what I wrote last time was part 2, so... that's not confusing at all.

In any case, I also wrote more before the whole encounter in part 2 so you can find that here as well.

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:04 pm

It took me way too long to catch up with the new bits, but I'm interested so far. The original part you wrote was disturbing and upsetting in the best way possible, so, yes, kudos for breaking my heart.

Also, I neglected to put this up earlier, but those of you who were in last weekend know that I've started my own abom-- self-insert story, and yes, it's fully in the self-aware meta territory, but I tried to take it seriously and get the characterisation right. So the story's finished now:

Pinkie and Her Bane
-- Falcão