Good Omens

Talk about whatever you like here!
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Good Omens

Post by archonix » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:51 pm

This weekend we were up at Steve's for shits and giggles. I played Smash for the first time. We drank a lot. There was ice-cream.

And we also watched the Amazon adaptation of Good Omens, staring Doctor Who and young David Frost.

It was not perfect, but by god this was the best TV adaptation of a book I have seen in years. Tennant and Sheen were perfect as Crowley and Aziraphale. The rest of the cast ranged from also perfect to pretty decent, with Adam Young's actor (lkast name Buck, which suits his looks remendously) being a good DDamien/antichrist/good boy, and everyone surrounding him being... well. good.

What liberties were taken from the source were, overall, well crafted and additional rather than subtractive, with a couple of exceptions: I missed Agnes Nutter speaking to Shadwell in his vision, for instance, and the unfortunate bikers that accompanied the four riders near the end of the story. Shadwell's entire arc is the most changed, and while I do understand why they made a lot of the changes they did, it was probably the most glaring difference. Shadwell became rather less pathetic in the show than he was in the book; it took away from his character.

The angelic and demonic secondaries were amusing. The contrasts between heaven and hell and the way they were portrayed was entertaining, if a tiny bit cliché. All of the non-named demons reminded me of my nephew.

I want to rant about details, but I'd be here for pages. It was good. It was great. It was definitely worth watching. We loved it.

Obviously Chris isn't around to post now, but her hearty endorsement of this event and/or product goes without saying. I'm still giggling about some of the subtle background details and effects they threw in. The escalators. The extra bits of past interactions between Crowley and Aziraphale. The hat!

You should all watch. It's well worth whatever sacrifices you might require to get hold of a copy.
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Re: Good Omens

Post by gkscotty » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:03 pm

I can recommend this should you ever wish to watch an angel Gavotte, or if you're just in the mood for a highly entertaining comedic apocalyptic drama. Loved it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:40 am

You clearly had a fun time with this. I'm glad!
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:16 pm

I found the soundtrack. Now I keep listening to The Theme That Got Left in the Car. It's wonderful.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:02 pm

That theme kicks ass!

Also, Tori Amos is in the soundtrack? That's so cool.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:12 am

I'm about a quarter of the way through it; it's a lot of fun!
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"