Lump

Post your art here! While this is a Simpsons and Futurama website, feel free to post works for other fandoms or original works here as well.
kaspired
Advisory Technical Manager

Re: Lump

Post by kaspired » Sun May 17, 2020 4:47 am

c_nordlander wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:18 pm Nice and educational! Taught me something. Picture looks good of course, very psychedelic background and nice colouring.

Thanks for putting up the two halves of the "6 feet" picture as well, I'm still impressed by that one.
"Wrong":
Cool! That's what I was hoping for, guess the drawing did it's job.
That background was a killer! It required THREE full days to complete. This on an 11 x 14 inch sized piece of paper, now imagine it covered by a gazillion tiny quarter inch long dashes. That's what I had to endure for this thing. Arguh! The background is based on those things where if you stare at it long enough, it'll suddenly resolve into a 3-D picture. Also the original looks a lot better than the scan. My scanner kinda flubbed and missed the contrasts.

"6 Feet":
Yay!

"Catra":
Let me add these. The fifth season of "Catra" is on Netflix. Oh, no wait sorry, "She-ra", my mistake (Not!).
The plots were better than I had hoped for. Tons of images. Mermista stole the show for the best costume, but the stand out is the revamped version of Catra. Never thought I'd say this but I like her with short hair.

New Do 1
New Do 1
New Do 2
New Do 2
New Do 3
New Do 3
There are more to each of these sketches but I don't want any spoilers.
The first two sketches are heavily worked and very clean. Not so with the third sketch. It's very involved and I refused to use an eraser. But I goofed big time. I totally misplaced Catras' lower body. Look closely and her extra legs are still visible.
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Fri May 22, 2020 10:37 pm

Okay, no surprise that I'd do more Catra drawings.

First Seahawk and Mermista:
Peekablue 1
Peekablue 1

Catra being guilt tripped by a figurine of Scorpia:
Regret 1
Regret 1

The reunion between Catra and Adora, parts 1 and 2:
Saving the Cat 1
Saving the Cat 1
Saving the Cat 2
Saving the Cat 2

Which leads to this:
Saving the Cat
Saving the Cat
(A note, image size 9 1/2 x 14 inch, a mere 35 colors)
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Sat May 30, 2020 1:14 pm

I still haven't watched this show, but I think I should. It seems to get very positive reviews.

You draw Catra really well. I have nothing to complain about in these pictures: nice, clean cartoon style, and great shading. I like that you did two drawings with different expressions for that last scene: it's a lovely scene and makes me really emotional, which is high praise given that I'm not very familiar with the show. Good work!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:08 am

c_nordlander wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:14 pm I still haven't watched this show, but I think I should. It seems to get very positive reviews.

You draw Catra really well. I have nothing to complain about in these pictures: nice, clean cartoon style, and great shading. I like that you did two drawings with different expressions for that last scene: it's a lovely scene and makes me really emotional, which is high praise given that I'm not very familiar with the show. Good work!
Thanks Chris, glad to hear that. This scene is the money shot.

Brace yourselves, major sketch dump. I spent the last week on these.

Catra and Entrapta (er, Entrapta is like the local resident mad scientist.)
Removing the Chip 1
Removing the Chip 1
Catra: "Argh!"
Removing the Chip 2
Removing the Chip 2
Catra: "Get it off me!"
Removing the Chip 3
Removing the Chip 3
Entrapta: "I forgive you."

Bow decides that Catra is too adorable.
Too Adorable 1
Too Adorable 1
Bow: "Those ears!" (Catra is wearing a spacesuit.)
Too Adorable 2
Too Adorable 2
The sneeze.
Too Adorable 3
Too Adorable 3
Catra: "I am NOT cute!"
Horde Scum and Sparkles 1
Horde Scum and Sparkles 1
Careful Glimmer, I don't think Catra was ready for that...
New friend or New Enemy?
New friend or New Enemy?
Melog meet Catra, Catra meet Melog.
Last edited by kaspired on Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:08 pm

These are all great! You draw Catra very well, and she has great expressions in every single picture. The other characters are great, too. And I love your shading, as well as your less-shaded drawings.

My favourite is probably the first one, due to Catra's hilarious face. I'm also a fan of Too Adorable 3, both for the guy's cheesy expression and for Catra's tail doing what my family likes to call "the bottlewhisk thing." These are all lovely. You're making me want to watch this show now...
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:38 pm

c_nordlander wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:08 pm These are all great! You draw Catra very well, and she has great expressions in every single picture. The other characters are great, too. And I love your shading, as well as your less-shaded drawings.

My favourite is probably the first one, due to Catra's hilarious face. I'm also a fan of Too Adorable 3, both for the guy's cheesy expression and for Catra's tail doing what my family likes to call "the bottlewhisk thing." These are all lovely. You're making me want to watch this show now...
Thanks, Chris. I liked this whole set. Usually whenever I post a set, I can say I like this that or the other one better. But this time it'd be a hard choice.

If anything I might pick the second, but for a different reason. From start to finish I spent five hours on that drawing. From scaling these two relative sizes, reworking their poses, sketch, erase, redraw, re-erase, bring in a second softer graphite pencil, then a stump (er, just in case, a stump? Whatzat? It's a roll of compressed paper to smear/smudge graphite charcoal pastels.) sketch, erase, redraw, repeat, and finally erase some more for the highlights. The things I do...

To make things interesting, s'more:
These are from a flash forward - future view.
Flash Forward 1
Flash Forward 1
Catra: "Get her away from me! She's going to torture me!" Er, the weapon of "torture" in Glimmers hand is a hairbrush.

Flash Forward 2
Flash Forward 2
Catra: "Pffft!'

Flash Forward 3
Flash Forward 3
Catra: "You coming?"

Plus:
Corridors
Corridors
One of these two are in a prison/holding cell. Which one?
Shooting in the Dark
Shooting in the Dark
Catra getting to know Melog. P.S. I'm seriously mixing metaphors. Recognize where this idea came from?
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:55 am

"Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts" season 2 hit the shelves last night. It's pretty good. Lots of twists in the plot lines. No spoilers, don't worry about that.

There are some funny moments also. Like the blind goats making cheese. Dave: "Where exactly did you get the milk for this cheese?". Mondu (The mute pig) has tusk envy, as well as successfully impersonating Kipo.

Let me leave this with you:

Cheese Prophecy
Cheese Prophecy
Kipo says it best: "I know about b-o-d-y changes, but NOT LIKE THIS!"
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:37 pm

I enjoyed all these pictures. Excellent linework and good-looking characters with very good expressions. The colourings are lovely, too: appropriately colourful for cartoons, but kind of pale, which works well for the mood. Not garish at all. You may put lots of hours into these pictures, but it clearly paid off.

My favourite is "Corridors". I'm a sucker for mirrored compositions like this, and the settings are like some half-forgotten dream. This series is definitely on my to-watch list. "Flashforward" is very sweet and evocative, too.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:12 am

c_nordlander wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:37 pm I enjoyed all these pictures. Excellent linework and good-looking characters with very good expressions. The colourings are lovely, too: appropriately colourful for cartoons, but kind of pale, which works well for the mood. Not garish at all. You may put lots of hours into these pictures, but it clearly paid off.

My favourite is "Corridors". I'm a sucker for mirrored compositions like this, and the settings are like some half-forgotten dream. This series is definitely on my to-watch list. "Flashforward" is very sweet and evocative, too.
Thanks Chris. This was a fun set to draw.

I like the "Corridors" also. On the original grab that dividing force field was vertical and divided the scene too evenly. So I curved it and leaned it way over.
Believe it or not both of these drawings colored fairly quickly, maybe a good solid afternoon on each. But this junkyard drawing took for-ever to color!

I was on the roof at work (don't ask why, it has nothing to do with that stray Frisbee.) and happened to look in a direction I hadn't looked before.
Image size is 8 1/4 x 17 inches with 76 colors.
Neighbors Backyard
Neighbors Backyard

Here is the base photo I took. At first glance it looks like a mere rust pile, but on closer examination some goodies pop up. The cars with a green circles are surprisingly cool (there's a convertible Corvair!) The red circled one is lame.
Neighbors Backyard Base
Neighbors Backyard Base
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:33 pm

Happy Fourth of July, y'all!

Here is my contribution this year. This drawing needs some explaining...

The town I used to live in has a huge July Fourth celebration, usually with the required bands, street vendors, pancake breakfasts, all that kind of thing. But it also includes a "Street Art Chalk Fair", meaning they let people grab a bunch of pastels and draw pictures for the world to see. I've been doing that for the last couple of years. (It's always fun.) For some strange unexplainable reason they must like me, I keep getting requests to come back and do it all again.

Final size 6 x 10 feet, 5 hours start to finish, and yes I used a LOT of pastels.

Kipo and Wolf go up against a Deathstalker. (A Deathstalker? Imagine a huge three tailed scorpion.)

Deathstalker 1
Deathstalker 1
Street level view.

Deathstalker 2
Deathstalker 2
I started grabbing ladders to reach a higher view, finally I hit it with a 12 foot ladder. Unfortunately the late afternoon shadows obliterated the right side. Crud!

Deathstalker 3
Deathstalker 3
A detail.

Deathstalker 4
Deathstalker 4
W.I.P.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:41 pm

I should have commented on the scrapyard picture earlier: I really like it, both in terms of motif, technique and colouring. It looks like something you'd see in a Simpsons episode, just with better colouring. Can't get over how much I love detailed landscape pictures like this.

And your street chalk art is great. I like it when people post art in this forum that isn't just "some ink/colours on a paper," cool as that is. Not surprised they like to have you there.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:50 am

Brace yourselves, I've gone "Anthro". Sorry...

I fumbled onto the series "BNA" on Netflix. My first viewing I thought "Meh..." but on the second go around I spotted some subtle things so now it rates a "Pretty good". Don't worry, no spoilers, but imagine "Zootopia" with anthro critters. Lots of cops and robbers adventures.

This is Michiru, the main character. She has some Tanuki traits (Tanuki is a Japanese Racoon Dog). But she has the ability to morph into other animal bases.

Say Hi to Michiru
Michiru the Tanuki
Michiru the Tanuki

She discovers baseball
Michiru the baseball player
Michiru the baseball player
Michiru the baseball player again
Michiru the baseball player again

Now with a Cheetah flavor
Michiru the Cheetah
Michiru the Cheetah

She grows wings, and a tail
Michiru the Bird
Michiru the Bird

She got guns!
Michiru got arms!
Michiru got arms!

She can hide as a Chameleon
Michiru the Chameleon
Michiru the Chameleon

Everything leads to this
Michiru
Michiru
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:10 pm

I like these a lot. Particularly the first one is well-drawn and cute (I can definitely see the tanuki-ness in her face), and the others have great poses and are very dynamic. The last one has your usual high quality colouring.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:26 pm

c_nordlander wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:10 pm I like these a lot. Particularly the first one is well-drawn and cute (I can definitely see the tanuki-ness in her face), and the others have great poses and are very dynamic. The last one has your usual high quality colouring.
Thanks, Chris. She was a lot of fun to draw.

Yet another mask drawing, Sorry. I know they're getting to be old news, but still relevant. This time featuring Queen Glimmer, from She-ra.

First Glimmer
First Glimmer
Second Glimmer
Second Glimmer
Third Glimmer
Third Glimmer

Glimmer has discovered that it'll require more than mere magic to make the Covid pandemic go away.
Need More Magic
Need More Magic
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:02 pm

You're inspiring me, maybe I'll do a mask drawing too...

These are all really good. Especially the second one looks so *real* in terms of shading and expression. And the sparkle effect on her hair in the coloured version is very nifty.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon