Creativity Hour works thread

Talk about whatever you like here!
kaspired
Advisory Technical Manager

Re: Creativity Hour works thread

Post by kaspired » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:16 am

I made this!

No doubt it'll need some serious explaining. This is a model rocket car. Really!

A former co-worker had the great idea to take a model rocket (you know these, right? Stick a solid fuel motor into it and launch the thing.) but lay it on it's side, add axles and wheels, presto! Model rocket car. And of course if there are more than one we have to race 'em...

I made five of these things, this is no doubt the weirdest. One I blew up (Fourth of July, rockets, fireworks, and beer is a bad combination.), another died of old age, and three survive.

This one is based on a horse shoe crab. Not very aerodynamic, but a crowd favorite. Everybody wanted to pet it. Sheet styrene, balsa wood, cardboard, brass tubes, and three wheels.

Rocket Racer 1
Rocket Racer 1
Rocket Racer 2
Rocket Racer 2

The business side. I hand cut everything seen here. Started with the chassis, added ribs, then glued on the scales. the brass tubes are for attachments to the guide cables. (Yes, we had 100 yards of aircraft cable as guides. What? Thought we'd just shoot these down the street? Oh, please!)

Rocket Racer 3
Rocket Racer 3
Look closely and see the deteriorated rubber wheels? I build this in the mid-1990's, it's literally some 25 years old.
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:03 pm

Don't think we've had any model vehicles posted in this thread before. That is old, but so cool. I would have wanted to pet it, too. Great and unique design.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:46 pm

I spent the last hour doing the last bit of painting on one of my Warhammer 40k Space Marines, and finally got it all finished and mounted. Good photo by Graham.

Presenting my first finished member of the Destroying Angels chapter: Monitrix, the team's torpedoist and ranged weapons expert. Picture of her with her helmet off can be found here.

I went for white (well, mostly light grey with white highlights) armour and launcher, black gun, and some darker grey details. A bit of metallic silver on the power cables. The armour insignia are black, gold, and a bone colour (white with a very small amount of yellow) for some of the skulls she's wearing.

I realise the lighting isn't the best, but if any of you miniature-painting savvy folks see anything that you think can be done better, feel free to tell me.

You're in the sniper's sight
The first kill tonight
Time to die!
You are in the bullet's way
The White Death's prey
Say goodbye!

-- Sabaton, "The White Death"
Attachments
monitrix irl.jpg
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
missy_misery
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by missy_misery » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:55 am

Noice!
Now known as Lisabella! (Or Missy.  Missy's good.)

Creator of the Waving Universe

Crack!Fic, The Marge Simpson Way: "Just then, Sir Lancelot rode up on a white horse and saved Joan of Arc.  They got married and lived in a spaceship.  The end." - Tales from the Public Domain, "Hot Child In The City"
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:56 pm

Thanks, Missy!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:33 pm

I've no idea what I would've done different, Chris, and it looks just great to me. I admire the craft and effort it takes to add colour to such intricate designs, and you did great!
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:14 pm

Dayum, thanks!

~

An illustration from the second Horus Heresy novel, False Gods. After being grievously wounded, Horus is taken to a shrine for a kill-or-cure treatment, and has hallucinatory visions of the nightmare the Imperium is going to become.

Previous Horus Heresy illustration here.

EDIT: Fixed it up a bit.
Attachments
the horus deliberation.png
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:31 am

Everybody seemed interested in the Model Rocket Car. Let me show the two other survivors.

This is the first car that I built. I had not a clue how everything worked but that's never stopped me before.

The beast is huge! From tip of nose to exhaust nozzle is 30 inches, it's 10 inches wide, and ground to tip of tail is 9 inches. The rear wheels are 4 1/2 diameter. And it weights a ton. Solid balsa wood, built like a tank.
I spent so much time painting. Paint, sand, fill, paint, sand, fill, repeat multiple times. It just glowed. The idea on the graphics is simple, it was so smooth that the landscape reflected on it.

First Car top view
First Car top view
First Car bottom view
First Car bottom view
BTW, it was so heavy that in spite of the biggest engine we had, the car only moved a couple of feet. I lost that race.

My second car was built from leftover scraps from the big blue beast. Not very interesting. That's why I blew it up. (That, and one beer too many.)

The third car also wasn't all that interesting. I was crunched on time that year, so I bought a body for a radio controlled car and added wheels. Needless to say it was a dud.

The horseshoe crab car was built for the third year. Followed by this!

Fifth Car side view
Fifth Car side view
Fifth Car rear view
Fifth Car rear view
I wanted low and mean! Think I hit that point. Only sheet styrene. Also notice the skinny rear wheel? It was left over from the crab car but the hobby store didn't have any more so instead I got some big meats for the front.

Y'know, I never won any of these races. But my fifth built car put up a serious fight.
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:16 pm

Who would guess that this time I managed to to the artwork I said I would? Here's the next illustration to Treasure Hunt, in which Carlos is confronted by Rosa's parents on his intentions. By the way, this is probably going to be the second to last part of the story to be published.
Attachments
Caça_ao_Tesouro_8.jpg
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:19 pm

Absolutely beautiful cars, Kaspired. Very sleek. Plus I love reading about crafts and hobbies I don't do myself, it's always so fascinating (and might come in handy for story research :) ).

@Fernie: his body proportions look really good, I can't see any errors. The arm in the cast looks stiff, which is realistic.

Congrats on getting the pic done on time, and it must feel cool that your story serialisation is winding up. (And maybe sad, what do I know?) Drink something to celebrate when you get the last part posted.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:59 pm

Sherri all ready to go to sleep. The creepy-looking toy rabbit is from May's "Carnival" fic here.
Attachments
deformed rabbit.png
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:14 pm

So originally this was going to be like a mock "Stretch Dude & Clobber Girl" comic cover, with a title and corner box and all that. I wanted to do one of those attention-grabbing "How did this crazy situation happen?! Read it and find out!" covers. Buuuut it ended up being too wide for the proper dimensions, so it's just a regular pic instead.
Attachments
power switch.png
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:13 pm

Damn! I told you in chat, but that looks like it could be an actual screengrab.

Not all done today, but I started embroidering a trellis-and-vines pattern on one of my face masks. Hard to see since the thread is quite light, but the embroidered bit is near the bottom. Let's see whether I burn out before the virus does.
Attachments
art deco mask.jpg
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:34 am

So I better share my latest piece of writing here as well.

I didn't give much context for it in chat, but this story is an actual real life memoir--not of one specific road trip, but there have been a couple that played out very much like that, so it still counts. This writing comes right in the middle of a pretty intense emotional turmoil for me, so it figures that I've been reaching into my childhood memories to find some more or less firm footing. It also comes from the fact that, for a long time, I was rather embarrassed that I used to listen to the likes of Richard Clayderman when I was young, but by this point, I see no reason for embarrassment anymore, and instead I'm thankful that my parents gave full incentive for my passion for music, with however limited resources they had. Fuck the haters, my parents matter more.
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:51 pm

I actually meant to ask in chat whether this story was autobiographical, but I didn't have the guts. (Somehow, that question always feels slightly rude to me, as if it implies that autobiographical writing doesn't require any skill or art -- and yes, I realise how wrong that is.) It's cool. I don't have the same background at all, but there are bits and pieces of childhood that I can relate to. Totally understand the embarrassment over your taste in music: no, it doesn't make any sense to our adult brains, but it did back then.

It feels a bit unpolished, but that is probably mostly the translation. Anyway, unpolished isn't a bad thing when it comes to memoirs.

The ending, specifically the last two lines, is the best part, in my opinion. Made me feel subtly melancholy, and a lot of other emotions as well.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon