Fernie thinks he can draw; cringe ensues

Post your art here! While this is a Simpsons and Futurama website, feel free to post works for other fandoms or original works here as well.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Re: Fernie thinks he can draw; cringe ensues

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:01 pm

The faces are a bit sketchy, all right, but you've done a good job with individualised faces and creating a resemblance to the originals, and the bodies look good (though Pony Banks' legs look a bit stiff). Love the parody names, and the title is nice. The logo looks great.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:21 pm

This doesn't exactly fit the theme of the thread, because it's not supposed to be a "drawing" in the strict sense... but, since I drew this, I'll explain and show.

Two weeks ago, I started to do an online workshop on burlesque performance. Yes. Anyway, this part of the workshop is more cerebral and not as much about the physical part of it, so our assignment for tonight was to create a costume set for a hypothetical performance, based on a set of words we ended up with after last week's exercise. I ended up with words related to theatre, chocolate and David Bowie (don't ask). I thought I'd be unable to create anything, but after pondering on stuff about Bowie, I came up with the concept of an "Alien Dandy".

I kinda ran with the concept and came up with this sketch of a character, who's an alien who fell in love with the idea of himself as a human, and does an earnest effort to play the part. I know it's a cliche, but, hey, this is burlesque: it's not about deep subtext and true novelty, but about playing with common tropes, obvious icons and exaggerations, so it made sense. But my main job was to create ideas for his outfit in its several layers, preferably as a set of croquis, so here's the best I could do.

NSFW warning: mild, provocative nudity. Here's Anthonius von Zoidbum.

I know it's very sketchy, and the colours on his face are inconsistent because I kept using the wrong pencil. His hat, shirt and bowtie are supposed to be silvery, and that and his undergarments are the only colours I'm sure about. I went with pointy ears, though I want to make them not look elf-ish. The nose is also pointy. The name is a combination of Antônio, after a late and very well known theatre director and actor, and, why not, Zoidberg.

I thought it would be really hard and challenging to do this, and it was a challenge, but it was surprisingly fun, and I kinda love the character. I don't know if I'll ever be able to pull this off in an actual performance, but now, I really, really wish I will.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:22 pm

Not gonna lie, he sounds like an awesome character (and quite Bowie-esque), and I'd totally watch a stage show with him. His outfit is cool, and this forum is totally the right place to post it.

Good luck with your theatrical endeavours!
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.