Lump

Post your art here! While this is a Simpsons and Futurama website, feel free to post works for other fandoms or original works here as well.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Re: Lump

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:37 pm

Very good so far, as usual. I like the simple look of her dress.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
kaspired
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by kaspired » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:36 pm

Well, lots going on. February promises to be a busy month. Netflix has announced several good shows. "Sword Art Online" season 4, "Kid Cosmic" season 3, a few other new shows that look very promising. But the best? "The Dragon Prince" will be returning also! Yeah! But all that doesn't matter. "Disenchantment" next season is due out also.

Oh and this... as hinted at, the finished drawing for "Last Duet". I tried a different approach.

Pastels! I like pastels, they're so much fun. Plus up-close and personal.

Last Duet 2
Last Duet 2
Last Duet 3
Last Duet 3

Meet Kaori, from "Your Lie in April". This is one of a hand full of shows that still bring tears to my crusty jaded eyes. She is a violinist and plays duets with a certain pianist. I don't want to let any spoilers slip but there is one of those long agonizing illness and required death scene. But the final duet she plays is, just, simply, a total tearjerker. It worked.

Where are my tissues?

Last Duet
Last Duet

The other tear jerkers?
Spoiler
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:51 am

I'm still on the "Miss Kobayashi" story. Here's my latest.

Kobayashi took the gang on a day trip and somehow ended up at Lick Observatory, on top of Mt Hamilton just south-east of San Jose California.

Why Lick Observatory? Well, the blue Audi is mine. I took the base photo a couple of years ago but never did anything with it. Until now.

First a character study, I wanted to make an educated guess on everybody's height. Then I go and change the perspective so all that work didn't really matter. This is three separate pieces of paper that I taped together and had commercially scanned.
Day Trip Sketch
Day Trip Sketch

Un-cropped version of the final.
Day Trip Unedited
Day Trip Unedited

Which lead to this:
Day Trip
Day Trip
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:50 pm

The "last duet" drawings are lovely. Just beautiful eyes.

I like the character chart a lot, too. Everyone has a unique build and stance.

"Day Trip" looks absolutely great. As usual, you draw awesome cars, and the characters and architecture are excellent.

And since we're comparing tear-jerkers:
Spoiler
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:56 am

I've been thinking about attempting this for a while and decided to actually do something about it.

This is the very first drawing I've ever posted. Anywhere. (Rewind back to 2008 or maybe possibly 2007.)

Original Idle Hands
Original Idle Hands

That drawing was done on an 8 1/2 x 11-inch piece of printer paper with colored pencils (that was all I had). Also I was dumb. I came from a fine arts background, not graphic arts. I drew her using normal human proportions. It never crossed my mind there was such a thing as cartoon proportions. All I did was stick a cartoon head on a "normal" human body. Back then I never used any kind of background, just white of the paper and barely bothered to sign my name to it.

Away back when, one fateful afternoon I was bored and channel surfing. Guess what I found? My first thought was "Oh, that's that Simpson spin-off." There was the entire group (less the red-haired guy) standing in a room, when a purple haired cyclops walked in, pulled out an axe and proceeded to chop everybody into tiny bits. After I put my eyebrows back on, I was back the next day for another episode.

Fast forward to now...
Idle Hands Redeux
Idle Hands Redeux

This drawing is done on 11 x 14-inch Bristol board and (only) 39 Copic colors.

Of course the practice sketch:

Idle Hands Sketch
Idle Hands Sketch
Last edited by kaspired on Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:07 pm

I love the concept of redrawing your old art. Eye-opening stuff. I think the old version was already good (though the hands are very idle lazy), and the colouring is simple but good, but your redraw is much more on-model for the Groening style, and the colouring is amazing. (Interestingly, as with a lot of your Futurama art, I think the sketch is actually more on-model than the coloured version. But they're both great.)

Me, I didn't have Futurama in my country back in 2000, so when I became friends with Graham I asked him to send me a VHS (I feel like I'm dating myself with this) with the first few episodes. The first one I watched was "Love's Labor's Lost in Space", and I was hooked from a couple of minutes in.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:44 am

c_nordlander wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:07 pm
Me, I didn't have Futurama in my country back in 2000, so when I became friends with Graham I asked him to send me a VHS (I feel like I'm dating myself with this) with the first few episodes. The first one I watched was "Love's Labor's Lost in Space", and I was hooked from a couple of minutes in.
VHS? Not Beta?

Oh yeah, super episode! I keep wondering "What if?". What if those episodes were something lame (Yes, there are several) like for example "40 percent Iron Chef". Would we have kept watching? To be brutal, for me, the answer would have been a simple no. Meaning the 'present' would be very different.

Let's hear it for the randomness of fate!
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:14 am

I've always wanted to draw a destroyed tank. Not sure why, maybe because it was an insane challenge. I spent a week and a half on this drawing. Even picking a good base wasn't easy. I wanted something recognizable, not a pile of debris.

Since the Ukraine invasion there have been several articles written about tanks. One was a list of the world's worse current tanks, the other on "Jack-in-the-Box" tanks. Believe it or not two of the current Russian Main Battle Tanks are on that dreaded list. Their turrets are too small. The small turret limits how much the main gun can raise and lower. Plus the ammo is stored in the same compartment as the crew. Even an indirect hit could cause the ammo to explode (which is very bad for the crew) and blow the turret off. Hence the term "Jack-in-the-Box".

Tanked Sketch
Tanked Sketch
Believe it or not I set a personal record on this sketch: 6 1/2 hours

Some W.I.P. coloring bits:
Tanked Inks
Tanked Inks
Tanked A
Tanked A
Tanked B
Tanked B
Tanked C
Tanked C
Tanked D
Tanked D

Finally...
Tanked
Tanked
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:24 am

And now for something completely different...

I liked Edward! While I was watching the live action version of "Cowboy Bebop" I kept thinking "Where's Edward?" Finally there she was. Just as manic as every.

Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV
Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV

This is such an odd drawing! Netflix has made it impossible to get screen grabs. Whenever I hit the snip tab the screen goes blank. Finally I had the idea of pausing the show, using my cellphone to take a snapshot of the computer screen. I took the photo, cropped it, and then enlarged it. A lot. And look at that vertical banding, plus the texture in the bands. Cool! I'm drawing that!
How did I get all those million lines? One at a time!
The pens I used had a very fine opaque line, but very limited color choice. I had to use what was available and "make-do".
Sections I like, chunks I don't, but then again this was an experimental piece. I wasn't expecting perfection.
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:47 am

DA is sponsored a chance to "fix" the Mona Lisa. Here's my offering...

A song by Michelle Shocked, album "Captain Swing" "Looks Like Mona Lisa".

"If she had to do it all over again,
You'd take a photograph,
She'd have a wide grin."

"All that remained was a slight strained smile."
Slight Strained Smile
Slight Strained Smile

This face is so iconic. I only had a few lines down and this was instantly recognizable.
Smile Sketch
Smile Sketch
Then my version.
Smile Concept
Smile Concept

The contest was announced on April 1st (April Fools Day) so I knew not to take this very seriously. But me being me I did do some reading on the painting.

There are over 32 layers of paint. Leonardo didn't use lines, he rolled each edge. Didn't matter if the crease was something sharp like a nostril or eyelid, it still curved over. He worked on this for over 15 years and it was found in his studio after he died. Which suggests to me it was still a work in progress. 15 years is a long time to wait for a commission of somebody. If she was say 25 years old at the start she'd be 40 which is a lot of aging to take into account. There is a theory that the painting wasn't a commission, but (wait for it) a self-portrait of himself as a woman.
The painting is done on a wood panel and once upon a time ago it was removed from the frame. Of course the panel warped and cracked. The fix was to mount a couple of butterfly joints on the back which surprisingly enough worked.
The Louvre owns it now and will never let it go. The painting is displayed behind bullet-proof glass in an atmosphere-controlled room.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:25 pm

"Tanked" is amazing, both the b/w and the coloured version (the latter has a great autumn palette). I love how you post the different stages of your pictures as usual.

"Where's Edward": the purple makes it kind of painful to look at, but it's a cool effect, and I can totally see why you had to paint it. Though yikes, that's a lot of lines to paint...

Mona Lisa smile: hah, I remember so many dA members not getting the joke and being butthurt about the idea of improving a classical artwork. Your version is great and funny, with excellent colouring, and generally just way higher effort than the dA contributions I saw.

As usual, you're making me jealous. Excellent work.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:00 am

c_nordlander wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:25 pm "Tanked" is amazing, both the b/w and the coloured version (the latter has a great autumn palette). I love how you post the different stages of your pictures as usual.
That drawing was a beast! So much detail. As I was working on it I kept seeing more. For example, the tread on the right side is different from the left.

c_nordlander wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:25 pm "Where's Edward": the purple makes it kind of painful to look at, but it's a cool effect, and I can totally see why you had to paint it. Though yikes, that's a lot of lines to paint...
Some of the colors are strange, but I had to use what was available. I may try this again but with the Copic markers instead.

c_nordlander wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:25 pm Mona Lisa smile: hah, I remember so many dA members not getting the joke and being butthurt about the idea of improving a classical artwork. Your version is great and funny, with excellent colouring, and generally just way higher effort than the dA contributions I saw.
I was kinda stumped on the Mona Lisa. I wanted to do something, but not what. Finally the Michelle Shocked song came to mind and everything clicked.

c_nordlander wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:25 pm As usual, you're making me jealous. Excellent work.
Oh you're much too kind.
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:43 am

I'm about to say four words I thought I'd never say.

I watched "Sailor Moon".

Cuteness overload. Gag me cute. What's worse I watched all three seasons and the two movies. Somebody shoot me, it'd be a mercy killing.

(Quick word on these sketches. I approached these differently. Once the base sketch was done, I grabbed a pen, some Copics and just went for it.)
Sailor Moon
Sailor Moon
Sailor Mars and Sailor Jupiter
Sailor Mars and Sailor Jupiter

Then I had to draw somebody who isn't cute. Big boots turn:
Sailor Sewer
Sailor Sewer
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:10 pm

Heh, always cool to try something new! I've watched like one episode of Sailor Moon in my life, but I feel like I'm extremely familiar with it, thanks to reading Steve's "Simpson Moon" parody.

These all look good: the left hand sketch of Leela is a bit freaky, but I guess that's partly due to combining Groening-style facial features with more animesque proportions, and the shaded version looks great, in my opinion. Rei's and Makoto's faces are a tiny bit sketchy, but other than that, all is great. Your colouring skills certainly haven't suffered from the method you used.

I'd love to have your talent.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:41 am

Going back to "Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid"...

These may look simple (they were) but I have a plan for these.

Tohru and Elma on a short sabbatical.

Split Screen Sketch
Split Screen Sketch
Tohru and Elma
Tohru and Elma
Elma and Tohru
Elma and Tohru