Lump

Post your art here! While this is a Simpsons and Futurama website, feel free to post works for other fandoms or original works here as well.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Re: Lump

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:20 pm

Thanks for this tutorial! Still not sure I could actually do it, but for those of you who can, more power to you.

I keep seeing you post cool art on dA, I really should review it.

EDIT: Apologies for pagetopper.
I stole all my stories from an old man named ChatGPT and I have finally decided to tell everything.

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
kaspired
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by kaspired » Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:24 pm

Circle study Pt 2

I’m sure everybody has recognized the potential shape from drawing number 6. Let me run with that…

Circle Study Pt 2
Circle Study Pt 2

Number 7: I’ve divided the head into quarters. Also added an indent, that indent creates a forehead, eye sockets, and an upper cheekbone.

Number 8: Another axis added. This axis features her face. All the face details are based on this axis. Added ears, nose, and mouth. As well as blocked in the eyes. Wait…Blocked eyes? Everybody knows eyes are oval or round. The blocks indicate the limits of the ovals.

Number 9: Note the angled lines in the eyes? That is the folding angle of her eye lids. Add pupils suddenly things are making sense. Details in her ears, and eyebrows.

Number 10: Tilt the head up. Easy. Grab a globe, look at the equator line, then tilt it. Notice how everything tilts also?

Number 11: Same as number 10 but tilted downwards.

Number 12: Its’s easy to see when I’m satisfied with a sketch. I start to add tones. Of course, I’m going to finish this O.C.

(All this done on an 8 1/2 x 11" paper with a mechanical pencil using a 0.7 "B" lead. No eraser used, every time the pencil left a mark, that mark is still there.)
if you panic you freeze, if you freeze you crash.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:53 pm

That is really cool! All I can say, really.

I like her finished face, too.
I stole all my stories from an old man named ChatGPT and I have finally decided to tell everything.

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:49 am

There is a bit of a "real world" story in the aftermath of this drawing. More on that in a second.

From the book "Sazan and Comet Girl", Mina AKA the Comet Girl. Almost everybody considers her the "Harbinger of disaster". I liked this book. Light-hearted romp through the universe featuring space pirates, and a rogue AI. Plus, the best, it's several hundred pages long and in FULL COLOR! Rocks!

Mina 1
Mina 1
Mina 2
Mina 2
Mina 3
Mina 3
Mina, Harbinger of disaster
Mina, Harbinger of disaster

Real world stuff now: I posted this drawing on Facebook (Yes, I do have an account there.) My niece was quite taken by it, so of course I gave the drawing to her. She wants to frame the thing. I'm quite happy about that detail, I even offered to cut the mats for them. (Wait, them? Yes, she has three of my drawings.) She's getting a crash course on how to frame a drawing correctly.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:31 pm

I keep doing this, looking at your cool new art and then forgetting to review it...

Anyway, looking great, and I bet you're still improving. I'm a big fan of the first one, and the close-up and colouring of the latter are very neat. I like that the coloured version has shading that feels real and 3D without being super complex.

Love your art, keep going.

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:55 am

I used to think YouTube was a wasteland, but lately there have been several good shows there. Easy examples are "Murder Drones' or "Helluva Boss". And this gem! "The Digital Circus"! Only one episode so far and I have no real idea what's going on. But it rocks!

Pomni 2
Pomni 2
Pomni 1
Pomni 1

The main character, Pomni. Simple line art so far, only because I'm stumped what to do with her...
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:58 pm

Huh, I've heard of the first two, but not Digital Circus.

Great drawings as usual, though, very clear linework. I love the expression and body language in the close-up one.

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:47 pm

Happy New Year, everybody!

('Bout time I posted something here, been slacking...)

Subject of the day is AI. Like it or not Ai generated drawings are here and show no sign of leaving. Hate to say this but I've used 'em a couple times. But me being me, in an unexpected way. Instead of using them as a finished piece, I use them as a base. I know what I want to draw, describe it to Bing AI image generator, and Poof! Within seconds there's an image. More than likely not what I was after, usually it requires about fourteen tries for something close. But oh well.

For example, I asked for an angry Harpie Anime style.

AI Harpie
AI Harpie

Not bad, close. Horns gotta go. Dreading coloring the plaid dress.

Angry Harpie 1
Angry Harpie 1

My version. Added a crest, like a Cardinal. Put some twist to her body and tweaked the wings.
kaspired

Post by kaspired » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:00 am

S'more...

Details first: 11 x 14 inch Bristol board paper, grand total of 53 colors, Copic Markers. Total time (from blank paper, including sketch, coloring, and inking) maybe 10-11 hours.

First coloring session:

Angry First coloring Session
Angry First coloring Session

Inking the coloring outline about two hours and the coloring another two hours. So far27 colors.

Which after three more coloring sessions led to this:

Angry Harpie
Angry Harpie

The color is based on a Blue Jay. Jays have crests just like Cardinals but Cardinals are RED, very RED. Blue Jays have a better variety of colors.

Just for fun here's another AI version that I almost used.

Angry Harpie AI Alt
Angry Harpie AI Alt
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Jan 05, 2024 11:30 pm

Happy Harpy New Year!

Very cool stuff, your art is still getting better and your colouring jobs keep being impressive and very easy on the eye. The crest is a great idea, and she looks suitably pissed off. We can always do with more art of mythological critters.

One very slight nitpick is that in the final colourings, it looks a bit weird how her shirt bunches over her breasts (it looks better in the sketches). That's a minor problem, though. Balancing it out, I like how shiny her tie is.

Also, thank you for being someone with a balanced view on AI in art. I see so many kneejerk reactions that I personally find unjustified. I wouldn't use AI as a reference myself (I'm still insecure enough, I wouldn't know what might be wrong), but I respect real artists who do.

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:23 pm

Another AI bit... I asked for a centaur in Thailand. Really! This was the result. Thanks Bing AI Image Generator.

AI Centaur in Thailand
AI Centaur in Thailand
Wow! Lookit this thing! Details everywhere, layers of clothing, and the background. Ohmigawd! Am I going to draw this? You batcha!

So, first attempt:

AI Centaur 2nd Go
AI Centaur 2nd Go
Not bad, next:

AI Centaur 3rd Go
AI Centaur 3rd Go
Then disaster. I needed a clean line work for inking but lost track of what I was doing. Wrecked it! Unusable, I had to go back to ground zero, just threw three days' work out the window.

AI Centaur 4th Go
AI Centaur 4th Go
Finally got it.
AI Centaur 5th Go
AI Centaur 5th Go
After three coloring sessions, I'm here. 11 x 14" illustration board, 75 colors Copic markers, and I haven't even touched the background.

AI Centaur 3rd Coloring Session
AI Centaur 3rd Coloring Session
Again, Ohmigawd. This thing is a beast. AI only took a minute but I'm a week and a half into it. Jeeze Louise, the things I do...
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:44 pm

kaspired wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:23 pmThis thing is a beast.
You could say that again!

Love that you're still doing this AI thing, and your version turned out great, with a very delicate colouring, too. I find it interesting to see the different facial expressions the character went through, too.

(This is an issue with the AI original, not with you, but the centaur's front hoof freaks me out. I mean, the shoe is beautiful, but... does she have four human-like feet? *shudder* Well, not like it's the worst thing AI art has created.)

Please keep your awesome art coming. AI doesn't know the struggle, it's never had to work for it.

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:52 pm

c_nordlander wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:44 pm (This is an issue with the AI original, not with you, but the centaur's front hoof freaks me out. I mean, the shoe is beautiful, but...)
Oh! Noticed the Cinderella slipper also? I thought it was kinda fun detail.

Another problem is what to title this drawing. So far, it's been a working title, gotta name it something. But that dilemma is taken care of.

I set a personal best. I've used 104 different colors, all Copic markers.

Here 'tis so far. Fully colored and about half-way through the final inking.

AI Centaur 4th Coloring Session
AI Centaur 4th Coloring Session
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:37 pm

Whoa! Very nice, delicate colouring job, even for you. Her outfit looks great, but I'm particularly impressed with the coat on her horse part. Extremely fine.

104 colours... amazing.

kaspired

Post by kaspired » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:37 am

Brace yourselves, more AI stuff...

Our favorite PES captain. I used the same description for each image and recieved a lot of versions! Some good, some horrible.

AI Leela 1
AI Leela 1
AI Leela 2
AI Leela 2
AI Leela 3
AI Leela 3
AI Leela 4
AI Leela 4
AI Leela 5
AI Leela 5

Bing doesn't seem to understand the term "cyclops". Apparently, there is a superhero who wears sunglasses and that is what keeps popping up.