Poor Disney!

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.

Everybody knows Cinderella etc., but what about the 'Jungle Book 2', or 'Treasure Planet', or another set of 2's, all going to video! Is Disney losing its touch?

Mickey Mouse needs a new job!
24%
Extremely yes!
41%
Yeah, coming to think of it.
18%
Suppose so.
18%
Somewhat reserved.
No votes
No, not really.
No votes
Never!
No votes
DON'T BAG THE NEW SET OF DISNEY 'CLASSICS'!!!!!!!
No votes

Total votes: 17
maitra
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Poor Disney!

Post by maitra » Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:12 pm

What do you think? I went to the movies and saw all this second rate Disney stuff. Even my younger sister said Treasure Planet wasnt good enough!

Note all those cheap '2' in front of the true, olden classics!

Are these new set of 'Disney Classics' worth our time? Has Disney now, in 2003, lost its sparkle?

VOTE! ;D
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Re:Poor Disney!

Post by gkscotty » Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:14 pm

Disney's had pretty mixed films for quite a while now, IMO the last "classic" film they did would be The Lion King. (though I havn't seen Lilo and Stich, which is supposedly great) Treasure Planet looks bad enough, but I'm pretty horrified at the notion of a "Jungle Book 2"

But regardless, if Disney's lost their "sparkle," it's because they gave it to Square. :-P

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
Jon
Sub-sector Control Officer
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by Jon » Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:47 pm

Actually, I've never been that much of a Disney-watcher (Really. Name a classic. Prob'ly haven't seen it). That's not to say that I don't like Disney movies...But I never get around to watching 'em.

I've heard that guy's an idiot.
Hera_Potter
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by Hera_Potter » Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:07 pm

Looks like they're trying to squeeze all the novelty out of the old classics. That's really sad... they used to be about quality children's entertainment. Some of the new stuff (I think) is really good, like Lilo and Stitch, Toy Story 1 and 2, Mulan, etc.

Some of the sequels are really cheap, too. The animation in Pocahontas 2 was jerky, for example.

The sad thing (I think) about Jungle Book 2 is that they can't have the original voices. I imagine Louie Prima is dead by now, and I know Phil Harris is. And they have modern, popular music. Upbeat stuff. Forget the style of "Col. Hathi's March", the new style makes money! And that's what's most important! :P

There's my rant. I feel better now. :)
Retrospecticus: Immortalizing Your Awkward Phase
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:12 pm

I've very mixed feelings about Disney. I loved them unconditionally when I was younger, and pulled my dad to the theater whenever a movie came out.

But Steve's right, the last true classic was 'The Lion King'. The odd movie like 'Hercules' has been alright, and 'Mulan' was pretty darn cool, but they really have lost their touch. One of the main problems is that they've gone uber-PC and re-written stuff for happy endings (Pocahantas and Hunchback, anyone?).

Really, they don't have much to them anymore. Ol' Walt would spin in his cryogenic chamber if he knew how evil his beloved company has become. The company's only saving grace is that apparently 'Lilo & Stitch' rocked, and that they've been working with other companies (like Pixar) to produce some mighty-fine stuff like both 'Toy Story's, 'A Bug's Life', and 'Monster's Inc.'. I have high hopes for 'Finding Nemo'.

I dunno what they were smoking when they made 'Treasure Planet', though. The animation and styling is cool, but they should've stuck to the original story.

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:15 pm

Sheana wrote: But Steve's right, the last true classic was 'The Lion King'. The odd movie like 'Hercules' has been alright, and 'Mulan' was pretty darn cool, but they really have lost their touch. One of the main problems is that they've gone uber-PC and re-written stuff for happy endings (Pocahantas and Hunchback, anyone?).
*cough* The Little Mermaid *cough* Hercules *cough*
Disney has always rewrote the stories. Aladdin was quite close to the source though.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:42 pm

Treasure Planet, by all accounts, stuck pretty close to the original story. Of course I haven't seen it so I wouldn't know. :)
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:52 pm

Well, yeah, I know they rewrite stuff all the time. :P I just mean that ones like 'Pocohantas' and 'Hunchback' have been the most blatant.

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
fellranger
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by fellranger » Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:07 pm

I have to say I never really liked Disney stuff when I was a kid and the only interest I have now is in pointing out Walt's amusingly NAZI leanings......
Are Disney losing touch? I hope so.....
There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning....
And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave....
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
hadisia
General Control Officer
General Control Officer

Post by hadisia » Sun Apr 06, 2003 7:40 am

They're raping my childhood! I must have vengeance.
WELSH: What the hell was that?
FRASER: The sound of a grown man squealing in a manner not becoming a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
WELSH: Oh, Turnbull.
-"Mountie Sings the Blues," due SOUTH
maitra
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by maitra » Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:31 am

oh no! your childhood... i loved the older disney stuff, i have to admit: Snow White, Mulan, Lion King

all i see today, haha, 2003 is; "quick, somebody!! tack a 2 on the end of something and call it a story!"

'that's creative thinking!'

Lion King 2
Jungle Book 2
Cinderella 2

Oh, in Cinderella 2, the Cinderella learns how to be a princess!

'amasing story' (if u can't tell, i'm being sarcastic)

let's not mention pocohontas to the new world!

i just hate all this modern disney, the sequels are just awful.

we were promised a happy ending!

Walt Disney should be turning in his grave ;D
Bothead
Advisory Technical Manager
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by Bothead » Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:26 am

Has anyone noticed that Jungle Book 2 is probably one of the only Disney "classics" sequels to come out in cinema rather than straight-to-video? Does this mean it's gonna be good?

Anyway, Disney will probably be okay because of its computer-animated movies (Toy Story, Monsters Inc., A Bug's Life, and the one currently being made, Finding Nemo). But it's now having serious competition with Dreamworks (hilariously funny Shrek)

Disney better get off its ass and do something. Hmm, what story has Disney not done yet?
Before continuing, it may be in your best interest, dear reader, to stop and ponder this. Picture it in your mind's eye. An evil one-eyed midget named Cheatum swam across the Gulf of Mexico wearing a shark fin on his back and then planted a bomb on a boat. Think about that. Let that sink in. Now. Wouldn't you want to buy a wrestling show after seeing this?

Dance Epidemic tonight!

Liverpool European Champions 2005. Go on the Kop!
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:20 pm

Medea.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Sun Apr 06, 2003 1:50 pm

Beowulf.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Karsten_Thiel
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Karsten_Thiel » Sun Apr 06, 2003 5:52 pm

Medea.
"Disney's Medea"? Now that I'd love to see! ;D

How about the Nibelungenlied? Wouldn't that be a nice children's movie? ;)
What flows from me nose does not go on the clothes.