Script format

We aren't limited to fanfic. Any writing that doesn't fit elsewhere can go here. Feel free to post poetry, stories, articles, ideas and any other fiction or non-fiction you wish.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Script format

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:10 pm

Before I start: no, this is *not* just an excuse to start a flame war on the relative merits of script format v. prose format. :) (Mostly because I'd be the first to do so.)

No, seriously, has anyone got the "official" guidelines for how to write a screenplay, including elements such as spacing, concise scene instructions etc.? (Yes, I could probably find it on Google, but I reckon it would be a valuable commodity to have on the board.)

I'll be grateful for contributions.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Jase_to_the_Izzo
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Re:Script format

Post by Jase_to_the_Izzo » Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:55 pm

A tangiable example of good script format would be Tennessee Williams' "A Streetcar Named Desire." My literature teacher said that T.W. uses stage directions and descriptions of characters better than any playwright in the genre.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Post by c_nordlander » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:04 pm

Why, thank you, Rich. This is just what I was looking for. Maybe a bit *too* terse, but it seems to cover the essentials.

Thank you as well, Jase. I've enjoyed productions of "A Streetcar Named Desire" (not, may I add, excluding "Oh, Streetcar!"), but I haven't read the script. It's for sale in the university bookshop, though.

This has helped clearing up quite some confusion.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:09 pm

Yay! I probably broke all the guidelines in here with my script writing! ;D
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
Dana
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Post by Dana » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:22 pm

The software I use (Movie Magic Screenwriter 2000) actually has specific "Sitcom" templates you can write in...including "The Simpsons". It also sets itself up in other formats, like screenplay, stageplay,novel, etc. Of course it's kinda like using windows, everything is done for you except point and click, so even though my scripts are now nicely formatted, I'm left to answer your question with a shrug of my shoulders and "How the hell do I know?"

Now I'll just use my superior intelligence and end this post with all the mastery of computer skills I've learned in my countless hours of computery...
(point) (click)
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool. --George Carlin
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:33 pm

*lol* Nice one Dana... ;D

Ah well, I never learned any kind of formatting but I seem to have adopted something similar to the formatting they use in movie scripts. Considering the length of my fics, that's probably not surprising... ;)
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks