Continuity

We aren't limited to fanfic. Any writing that doesn't fit elsewhere can go here. Feel free to post poetry, stories, articles, ideas and any other fiction or non-fiction you wish.
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Re:Continuity

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:20 pm

No, Skinner just walked quickly off.

Really, I don't see why people consider it a meta-reference like the guide book. The guide book is silly, but the 'Principal and the Pauper' bit is a ref to an actual episode that happened. It's a reference to something that happened in the past, though most people don't like that episode's events to be mentioned.

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:20 pm

Very good point, Sheana.

As I see it, though, any mention of Armin Tamzarian is *anathema* (no, not the witch girl) in Springfield, so... if you get away with naming him, that's probably a breach of continuity.

(And no, I for one didn't call it a meta-reference. I just compared it with the guide book joke on account of both being very blatant attempts to shock the audience. Oh well, I prefer that to trying to shock the audience with sex or mindless violence, but... meh.)
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Robbie
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Robbie » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:18 pm

Continuity is something that doesn't exist, at least not in any scientific or fiction form, in the Simpsons world. Maybe all this screwing with continuity is to confuse and agitate long term fans of the show, like Skinner being called Tamzarian even though fans think "The Principal and the Pauper" doesn't exist, or Grandpa's old farm suddenly being rebuilt after it got burnt down at the end of Grandpa vs Sexual Inadequacy. Or the Springfieldians taking all of the Simpsons' possessions at the end of "Miracle on Evergreen Terrace". Or Homer taking enough wounds in some episodes to KILL A MORTAL MAN! Where was I... Oh yeah, continuity is something us geeks try and wave in the face of Simpsons screenwriters, who are too out of it to notice...
I think this is sick. You're staring at a dot!
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:59 pm

Well, Lisa herself said that cartoons don't need to be one hundred per cent real (*another Fernie walks past the window*); the problem is, where is the line that separates "cartooniness" to "ridiculousness"? I would admit that Homer being bitten by poisonous snakes and robots filled with venom is closer to the latter rather than to the former... but the question is more delicate than that.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão