Simp Calibur + Strange

Get help and advice on your art and post works in progress.
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Simp Calibur + Strange

Post by gkscotty » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:04 am

Okay, two new pics this time.

The first one is inspired by Bothead's fanfic that's based on Soul Calibur 2. It needs a bit of proportion work. It's also the first time I've ever drawn Homer, which explains why he looks more dodgy than the others and why he's hidden at the back there.
The second one is a random idea. If anyone can think of a scenario behind this picture, I will be in your debt for I have no idea what's happened really.

Hm, this seems to be firmly established as my drawing style.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
Dana
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Re:Simp Calibur + Strange

Post by Dana » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:53 pm

Great pics Steve...not much in the critique department, but to answer your question on the 2nd pic...

Simon has just chosen Bart over these two for his sensational Spout medley featuring "Itsy Bitsy Spider" and "I'm a little Tea Pot".

Dana
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool. --George Carlin
Bothead
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by Bothead » Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:00 pm

Nice work done. I was thinking of somehow having Simp Calibur pictures but I don't have any experiance drawing Simpsons characters. So I'm very glad you've drawn a sketch. A slight problem is the size of the characters but it's not too important. I like Bart's confidence on his face and the detail of Lisa's sword and shield. Thank you very much for doing this.

If it's any payback, the second picture kind of suggests Lisa meeting an old friend. But it also shows they both have no shoes on so maybe it could be something to do with that.
Before continuing, it may be in your best interest, dear reader, to stop and ponder this. Picture it in your mind's eye. An evil one-eyed midget named Cheatum swam across the Gulf of Mexico wearing a shark fin on his back and then planted a bomb on a boat. Think about that. Let that sink in. Now. Wouldn't you want to buy a wrestling show after seeing this?

Dance Epidemic tonight!

Liverpool European Champions 2005. Go on the Kop!
Vulgaris_Prime
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Vulgaris_Prime » Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:05 am

First picture:
Homer: "Don't scream! Worms! Mmmm... worms."
Bart: "That was fun, man!"

Second picture:
Lisa: "What? I swear, I didn't know you were wearing the same dress tonight!"
Back from the dead!
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:18 pm

Thanks for the comments folks, much appreciated.

I remembered about that Wacom I've had lying around, and plugged it in. Then I tried to colour Lisa.

I'm not sure if the shading actually added anything. So I'm posting both versions. Take your pic. Comments appreciated.

Without shading

With shading

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
Bothead

Post by Bothead » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:07 am

Either way it looks much better coloured.
Before continuing, it may be in your best interest, dear reader, to stop and ponder this. Picture it in your mind's eye. An evil one-eyed midget named Cheatum swam across the Gulf of Mexico wearing a shark fin on his back and then planted a bomb on a boat. Think about that. Let that sink in. Now. Wouldn't you want to buy a wrestling show after seeing this?

Dance Epidemic tonight!

Liverpool European Champions 2005. Go on the Kop!
Dana
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Post by Dana » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:05 pm

Very nice Steve. I think the shading version really adds a nice "action" feel to the pic, given the pose she has, she now looks like she's about to walk right off the page.

Very impressive!

Dana
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool. --George Carlin
Horrorhead
Sub-sector Control Officer
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by Horrorhead » Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:51 pm

I really like the coloration with shading.

Nice pose, too!
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:16 am

Well, what should I say? I commented about your improving yesterday on chat, already. The Calibur pic looks darned great. Do you have any plans to colour the whole thing? I'd definitely like to see it.

The second pic, well, I don't really know what happened. But I really like the result - it looks practically flawless!
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
Marco

Post by Marco » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:44 pm

I already commented the first two pics privately, i like the complexity of the first one and the clean lines and overall look of the second one (yeah, you did improve a lot!) At a first glance, the second charachter resembles more Marge than anyone else.

Of the colorings i prefer the shaded one, just because it adds a little volume to the charachter, and i'm a sucker for 3d looking drawings :) ... the only thing i'd change are the shadings on her skirt, because they're too "small", and instead of looking like the skirt is round, it looks like the skirt is flat with some bumps in it. Maybe a little gradient from dark to light applied together with the more detailed shades could make it less noticeable...
JoeyGus
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by JoeyGus » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:35 pm

Cool idea, I love Soul Calibur. Basically the only things wrong with the two new pics is that if it is a pic of Lisa or Maggie, the face is kinda off with the nose and overbite. the hand holding the sword looks a lil odd.....But besides all that it's a pretty cool picture.