A long running show says goodbye, it makes you think dosen't it?

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.
Meghan
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

A long running show says goodbye, it makes you think dosen't it?

Post by Meghan » Sat May 08, 2004 5:59 pm

With "Friends" gone leaving not with a bang but a whimper. I started thinking about "The Simpsons" and wondering how long it will last. I started thinking of if they were ever to have a final episond of the simpsons, it would have to be big. something that people like us would remember for years to come. So I got to thinking, if they ever did a final episond for the simpsons. What would the ultimate plot be? My thought is that it would have to do something with the town and all the townspeople we know and love. Something that would effect them in each way. Mine would be a huge earthquake or a underground Volcano that will destroy the town and everyone has to evacuate. What would your idea for a final episode plot be?
"Its The Rapture, quick get Bart out of the house before God comes!" -Homer
Dana
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Re:A long running show says goodbye, it makes you think dosen't it?

Post by Dana » Sat May 08, 2004 7:32 pm

I wrote a long drawn out beginning to a fianl episode, hit the "preview" button, went back to make changes and it all went away... :'(

Oh well, I'll resubmit later. ;)

Dana
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool. --George Carlin
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Sun May 09, 2004 1:04 pm

You know, you don't have to go back to make changes when you preview. The message appears in an edit box below your message preview. :)
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Tony_Baritone
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by Tony_Baritone » Sun May 09, 2004 1:16 pm

Given the odds that it would be a longer episode--an hour/90 minutes/2 hours--I'd like to see them look at OFF however many years into the future as the ep comes after the show's debut. Real original, I know, but they could do so much with it. They could also bring in the secondary characters for the finale as long as they do it respectfully and not cheesily the way Seinfeld did...
Dana
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Post by Dana » Sun May 09, 2004 4:36 pm

Thanks Graham... :P...figures it would be that easy. Websites are supposed to be a pain in the arse, so I never even think to scroll down. Congrats on running an easy access site! (grumble...grumble) Big jerk, always going around making things easy for everyone and ruining my day in the process. :-X j/k

Meghan,

We watched the one hour clip fest and then the finale and...we enjoyed the clip fest much more than the final ep. We hadn't watched the show in 6/7 years, but it was pretty apparent that it had run its course. The clip fest was fun, the finale...blah.

As for OFF...

An inspection teams arrives at the power plant (original huh?) and after inspecting the grounds for a radius of 10 miles or so, the town is condemned and the people are told to leave or face aging at an alarming rate.

Inspector: You will all age approximately 1 day per foot of radioactive contamination until the area is neutralized.

Quimby: Ahh, just how deep are our arses into this radioactive soil?

Inspector: About 2 miles deep.

Frink: For cryin out Glavin, that'll age us all approximately 1.8 decades, with the wrinkles and the aching and the, oh my, social security checks, en hei!

Marge: Dear lord, what'll we do Homer? I just got over losing my hair, I cant take 2 decades of wrinkles now!

Homer: Relax Marge, a few wrinkles here and there won't hurt any of us. Besides, look at the bright side, we'll all have something interesting to talk about for a change. Huh? Right? Right? (Homer looks to the camera) It will be interesting, right?

(Screen fades to black and a one word message is shown)

[glow=green,2,300]CANCELLED[/glow]

Dana
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 09, 2004 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section in a pool. --George Carlin
djwhitaker2004
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by djwhitaker2004 » Sun May 09, 2004 5:18 pm

Well I didn't watch the final episode of Friends because I not a huge fan of that show. Well anyway, I be upset that the Simpsons will make a final episode. I don't know what the plot is but I keep thinking that the final episode will be look like when the Simpsons move away from Springfield, just like on the episode You Only Move Twice(3F23), but this time their never coming back, or Homer and Marge get divorce, or Fox will just cancelled the show because the strike. I don't know what the episode will be look like but this is my idea what the episode is, so do you think what the final episode look like at your idea.
If Simpsons release only in August & December, here the list in the future:
Season 10 will be out on Aug 07, season 11 on Dec 07, season 12 on Aug 08, season 13 on Dec 08, season 14 on Aug 09, season 15 on Dec 09, season 16 on Aug 10, season 17 on Dec 10, & season 18 on Aug 11.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Mon May 10, 2004 10:09 pm

Dana, you never cease to amuse me. ;D
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
FunkyMonk
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by FunkyMonk » Wed May 12, 2004 11:29 am

Hmmm....I'd have to say my vision of the series finale of the Simpsons would just be like an hour long "good-bye" episode, or something.
"I think I could sing and shear a few sheep at the same time,"-Robert Plant, NME, 1974

Meghan
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Meghan » Wed May 12, 2004 5:50 pm

I think for the final episode they should at least have a lot of things reconciled. Like Marge standing up to Homer being critized by Patty and Selma, Smithers coming out, and after seeing "My Big Fat Geek Wedding" wondering if Edna and Skinner will ever be together again? Or is this the end of their romance? That way, its finished....completed, end of story.
"Its The Rapture, quick get Bart out of the house before God comes!" -Homer
Abe_Simpson
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Abe_Simpson » Thu May 13, 2004 11:45 pm

IMHO, it's not going anywhere. We're going to have simpsons for seasons and seasons... then there will probably be a three hour final episode where they go on a huge adventure to try and save the dog, or the house or something, and then at the end everything is better...
Homer: so, everything has ended up in a neat little package then?
Bart: Yep.
Homer: OK.

The end.
Remember when he ate my goldfish? And you said I never had a goldfish? Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? WHY DID I HAVE THE BOWL?
Bothead

Post by Bothead » Mon May 17, 2004 7:09 pm

If there is going to be a final episode anytime soon, I hope they don't make too many changes, mostly deaths of a few popular characters. I always believe any show could make a comeback so if I was in the writers' position I wouldn't change too much.
Before continuing, it may be in your best interest, dear reader, to stop and ponder this. Picture it in your mind's eye. An evil one-eyed midget named Cheatum swam across the Gulf of Mexico wearing a shark fin on his back and then planted a bomb on a boat. Think about that. Let that sink in. Now. Wouldn't you want to buy a wrestling show after seeing this?

Dance Epidemic tonight!

Liverpool European Champions 2005. Go on the Kop!