Writer's Dillema?

We aren't limited to fanfic. Any writing that doesn't fit elsewhere can go here. Feel free to post poetry, stories, articles, ideas and any other fiction or non-fiction you wish.
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Writer's Dillema?

Post by SirMustapha » Wed May 26, 2004 2:52 pm

I have talked this issue to Pat on Sunday night, and I still have been unable to resolve this issue. "Buses" is practically finished, only needed to be worked until the end. I do have other projects in mind to start after "Buses" is finished, packed and released, but one thing is still making my brain itch. I want to write something. The problem: I'm extremely short on ideas. Perhaps I'll find myself able to develop a plot, an idea for a written piece, but this time around, I want something grand. Enough of immature rehearsals or recyclings of older ideas. I think my writing skills have matured quite well, and I want to put them to the test. I want to do something truly good, to bring forward the potential inside of me.

But for that, I need an idea. Either a complex, intricate idea that can surprise the readers, or a painfully simple idea that can be worked with care and precision. But I don't think I have neither a complex nor a simple idea at this moment.

On the other hand... there's something that's been haunting my days and nights recently. "A Summer's Tale". I have glanced at the DOC file I've got in my documents folder at a random piece of dialogue somewhere, and I realised how clumsy, immature, and poorly executed that piece is. And what's worse... after all those years, I still think it was a great idea. I'm wondering if, at this moment, I can work on a better, truly great "A Summer's Tale" exposing all its potential. I think I can.

The problem is... would anyone bother? The first version has already been released, and I don't think the people who have read it would want to read the same thing again, even if it's better. What would I do with it? Release it as a book? Put it on fanfiction.net to attract a bunch of cronies who'll worship me as a demigod, or - more probably - a bunch of dorks who'll flame me for criticising a fic they wrote earlier?

Pat has suggested me that there should be a middle ground... What middle ground? I haven't been able to figure this out, but maybe he's right. What do you think? Should I wait until I can develop a solid idea, or should I go and rewrite A Summer's Tale and its prequels from scratch, calling it "A Summer's Tale 2004" and develop a nasty copy-protection system for it?...

... any suggestions?
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Re:Writer's Dillema?

Post by c_nordlander » Wed May 26, 2004 3:18 pm

Ah, the writer's dilemma... we've all been there, haven't we? I know I have.

As for ideas, I can't really help you. (Well, I could lend you some of my old story ideas which I am unlikely ever to write, but I don't know if you want that.) Either ideas come, or they don't. I've been swamped in the things sometimes, and at other times, when I've wanted to write something new, there just weren't any. At those times, perhaps touching up an old story is the best thing.

As for "A Summer's Tale"... yes, the execution had a couple of flaws. But yes, the storyline was *good*. And all I can actually say is this: if you rewrite "A Summer's Tale", I, for one, will read it.

As for your final question... down to you, I guess. Both ideas sound attractive to me.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
JM
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by JM » Wed May 26, 2004 7:17 pm

If I were you, Mr. Snake, then I'd work on your idea about a revised version of 'A Summer's Tale.' If nothing else, it'll help you practice your writing until a different idea pops into your head. :D
JM: Is this situation too serious, or am I asking too many questions?
Reasonable voice in the night: You're asking too many questions.
[a little while later]
Distant Radio that no one notices until now: ... Can't stop the spirits when they need you
This life is more than just a read-through ...
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Wed May 26, 2004 11:25 pm

JM makes a damn good point. Much as we'd all like to write something new and original every time we sat down, most of us can't do that. We're stuck waiting for a good idea to hit us. And in the mean time, it can't hurt to perfect the skills to express this idea once it (hopefully) hits us.

(as an aside, I tried to get back into chat a few times on sunday to finish our conversation, but it wouldn't let me. Go new chat server!)

My advice, though, is... if you feel like re-writing A Summer's Tale, then do it! It's obviously where your mind wants to go - you're mind is just looking for justification to do it. Ignore that! And don't worry about whether or not anyone will read it. This isn't a popularity contest. Even if no-one reads it, it'll be worth writing if you can look back and say "yes, I did my best on that". Do it for the love of doing it, don't worry about what people will say. And I'm willing to bet that the act of rewriting it will trigger a whole host of new ideas about half way through, which you can use there and then, or note down for later fics.

On a personal note, I've a couple of novel length fan fictions that I've written, but have never thought about releasing for anyone to read. I wrote them because I couldn't think of anything else. And after writing them , I felt better! I no longer had scenes hauting me, interrupting my chain of thought when I was tryiing to think of something original, telling me they would be great if I wrote them down. And in the course of writing them, I came up with ideas I would never have thought of otherwise, which I might be able to work into new pieces. And at the same time, I think my awareness of prose improved. That can only be good.

In summary...Write what you feel like! [/Brad Goodman]
Last edited by D.B. on Wed May 26, 2004 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
Kif White
Senior Executive
Senior Executive
Custom Title: Decepticon Commander

Post by Kif White » Thu May 27, 2004 12:41 am

Yeah, the fact is, you can't really force an idea to come. It takes inspiration and just has to develop on it's own. So maybe it's a good idea to rewrite "A Summer's Tale" if only to, as JM, practice and get you into the groove again. After that, ideas should just come on their own. :)
- Kenneth White

"Know the conflict within before facing the conflict without."

Now Watching: Babylon 5 - Season 3
Now Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening, Pokemon Heart Gold
Now Reading: Catch 22
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Thu May 27, 2004 12:14 pm

You're right. I'll do it, I'll rewrite "A Summer's Tale". I don't think I can go wrong with that.

You've been helpful. Thanks for your hints and your care. Hey... it seems The Creative Pen is serving its purpose, after all. ;D
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão