Harry Potter. When bad turns worse.

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.
capadde
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Harry Potter. When bad turns worse.

Post by capadde » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:18 pm

I went to the movies tonight. I watched the movie...
...no... that's not it...
Ah. I got to see the film... no...

Well, the title said: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

And to tell you the truth, this was far worse than the first two movies. Yes, you read right. One can call the those two movies, but this one... no.

I'd like to do a proper review, but I'm not up to it. There are just too many bad things to tell.

In short, it would be like this:
They left out big parts of the book.
They didn't tell certain quite important stuff, like about Crookshanks or why Lupin knew about the Map.
They changed things in the story, just like in the previous films.
It looked like Hogwarts had changed all of a sudden, did not look the way it did before.
One could notice that Hermione and Ron have improved as actors, but Harry was as bad as ever.
The soundtrack was awful.
The effects were sometimes ok, but mostly crappy.
The plot was good, but they rushed too many things. It felt like one was watching a bunch of short clips that somebody had put together. It faded all the time, the scenes never lasted for long.

One of my friends who saw this and haven't read the books said she almost didn't understand what was going on. Everything went too quick, and almost nothing was explained properly.

The best part was that they had managed to put in some quite funny jokes here and there. And the love between Ron and Hermione did really show in the movie, more than it does in the book. They were really cute together.

But anyways: F
What would you do if you found an angel on your balcony?
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Re:Harry Potter. When bad turns worse.

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:22 pm

Hmm, interesting. From what I've heard, almost everybody on the planet thinks it's better than the first two movies, much better.

Oh, well, we'll see. I'm going to see it this weekend.

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
djwhitaker2004
Senior Technical Supervisor
Senior Technical Supervisor

Post by djwhitaker2004 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:44 pm

capadde wrote:But anyways: F
YOU WHAT >:(!!! I saw the movie last Saturday and it was great, but not perfect. I didn't expected that movie was shorter than the second. And they cut out some part from the movie, but that ok, when 3rd Harry Potter movie come out in DVD, they might have deleted scenes. And that remind me, I forget to finish the 3rd book :o. So I give the movie 4 smiles: :) :) :) :)
If Simpsons release only in August & December, here the list in the future:
Season 10 will be out on Aug 07, season 11 on Dec 07, season 12 on Aug 08, season 13 on Dec 08, season 14 on Aug 09, season 15 on Dec 09, season 16 on Aug 10, season 17 on Dec 10, & season 18 on Aug 11.
Jon
Sub-sector Control Officer
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by Jon » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:02 pm

Hm. To each his own?

Expect to be disagreed with........a lot.
I actually really enjoyed this one, even though I hated the first one...oh, and I didn't see the second one.

Also, anyone who thinks about either: 1) Doing an all out Harry Potter bash or 2) Completely flaming Cap's opinion -- is a complete and utter moron. Stay out of this thread.

I've heard that guy's an idiot.
Bothead
Advisory Technical Manager
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by Bothead » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:43 pm

It's was okay...ish. It's not that I think it's bad but I've gotten out of the books and I can't help but notice that the Dementors are Ringwraith wannabes. Did anyone else notice references to Titanic (Harry flying on the Hippogriff for the first time) and E.T. (when Sirius Black left him) or was it just me?
Before continuing, it may be in your best interest, dear reader, to stop and ponder this. Picture it in your mind's eye. An evil one-eyed midget named Cheatum swam across the Gulf of Mexico wearing a shark fin on his back and then planted a bomb on a boat. Think about that. Let that sink in. Now. Wouldn't you want to buy a wrestling show after seeing this?

Dance Epidemic tonight!

Liverpool European Champions 2005. Go on the Kop!
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:03 am

Saw the movie today. Some things are definitely different, changed around, and sometimes left out, but that happens to all book adaptions.

I liked it. Not perfect, but none of the movies are. I found it a lot better than the first two, personally. Buckbeak was perfect, I want him. :) I liked Lupin quite a lot, and Black was good. Other characters (don't wanna spoil) were strange, but interesting. The Dementors were quite creepy, but creepier in my mind's eye.

But I thought it was good. :)

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
hadisia
General Control Officer
General Control Officer

Mm, subtext.

Post by hadisia » Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:58 am

I also saw it. Pretty much liked it, despite the fact that anyone who hasn't read the book should notice the large, gaping plot holes. Also, Ron was turned into comic-relief, which sorta pissed me off. But the dialogue was much better, the story was more real, and the interaction between characters was terrific. Also, Wormtail was better than I'd ever imagined him to be.
Granted, there were things I didn't like - the degeneration of Ron into comic relief; how the Marauder relationships weren't made all that clear (really, how long would it have someone say, "Sirius and James were the best of friends in school"?); the aforementioned plot holes.
Still, I'd see it again if I could. Overall, I was impressed, and I sincerely hope that Columbus never directs another HP movie. Ever. The first two were just...bad. I am so very happy that Cuaron directed this.
WELSH: What the hell was that?
FRASER: The sound of a grown man squealing in a manner not becoming a member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
WELSH: Oh, Turnbull.
-"Mountie Sings the Blues," due SOUTH
BOsin_In_2
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by BOsin_In_2 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:13 am

Friend sez: LUPIN LOOKED LIKE SMEGAL!!!JHCGFH,MCVJHNVCHF! !!!!!! WITH A WOLFS HEAD AND A NAKED BUTT!!!
"Have you seen my daughter, Cheryl? Short...black hair... Just turned seven?"
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:45 am

Tell friend to get a dictionary. ;)
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Abe_Simpson
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Abe_Simpson » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:11 am

Bothead wrote: Did anyone else notice references to Titanic (Harry flying on the Hippogriff for the first time) and E.T. (when Sirius Black left him) or was it just me?
I did! I was laughing because of it, and everyone else thought that I was insane. Well, maybe I am, but still...
Remember when he ate my goldfish? And you said I never had a goldfish? Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? WHY DID I HAVE THE BOWL?