lisa macbeth

Get help and advice on your art and post works in progress.
Abe_Simpson
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

lisa macbeth

Post by Abe_Simpson » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:44 am

i'm bored and i'm reading macbeth, so i decided to draw lisa as lady macbeth... it's really bad and in need of criticism... please... help me...
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Remember when he ate my goldfish? And you said I never had a goldfish? Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? WHY DID I HAVE THE BOWL?
Hera_Potter
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Re:lisa macbeth

Post by Hera_Potter » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:17 pm

Neat idea! :)

Let's see, Lisa. Her hair looks like it's coming off her head! It looks like it needs to be taller, and be in the shape of her head. (I think.) Her neck looks a little thick, and her mouth might be a little small. The fringe on her dress is uneven, and her right shoe (our left, her right) seems to be coming off her foot. (Also, that's not what her shoes look like.)

The grass looks really neat... but not very grass-like, maybe it needs some more blades. I don't know if she's supposed to be on the ground or not, I haven't read the book.

The torch on the wall... personally, I think you should have drawn it in first, then colored it in on the computer. The flame looks like it might need a different motion effect than you gave it, but maybe it's just me.

I hope I'm not being too negative here! :-[
Retrospecticus: Immortalizing Your Awkward Phase
Abe_Simpson
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Abe_Simpson » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:56 pm

thanks for the reply... she's sleepwalking in the scene, so she's kind of dreaming, so i was trying to make it look like she was kind of asleep in her little world, but then there's the dead grassish stuff on the bottom that is a bit of symbolism, showing that everything isn't that dreamlike and happy, considering her actions have caused the deaths of many innocent people. the deep red on her head is not infact her hair, but her hat, she has a few strands of blondish brown hair on her forehead if you look closely. my blur tool doesn't like me, and it kind of ruined the torch, i'll work on her foot and the torch and post it again in a bit, i have exams, so i won;t have too much time, give me a week or two.
Remember when he ate my goldfish? And you said I never had a goldfish? Then why did I have the bowl, Bart? WHY DID I HAVE THE BOWL?
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:42 pm

Well, I can give you one suggestion with that flame. I can see the effect you were attempting, but you've made a very basic mistake with it.

See this image:

This is very rough. I did it in about a minute, and I wouldn't expect a novice to be able to replicate it exactly. However, the basic idea of a flame is that it is very hot in the middle and gets cooler toward the edge. To suggest that heat, you need to make it progressively brighter until it's near-white. I started with a basic semi-transparent red, then an orange-yello and finally a white. I then mussed it around with a smudge brush for a bit. It's best to do this on a seperate layer to the rest of your picture so you can leave details behind it.

Hope that helps. :)
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Abe_Simpson
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Abe_Simpson » Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:25 am

here. i've been working on the flames. i know they're not very good.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:35 pm

They're certainly a lot better. :)
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
JoeyGus
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by JoeyGus » Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:32 am

Not too bad at all. I like your new flames, they look good. You might want to draw the hair better and it kinda looks like Lisa has eyebrows, but the flames look especially good now.
Abe_Simpson
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Abe_Simpson » Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:56 pm

those aren't eyebrows. that's her hair. she doesn't have maroon hair, it's a hat... i really don't think that lady macbeth would have spiky hair, but her headgear might have been something crazy like that.
Hera_Potter
Sector Control Officer
Sector Control Officer

Post by Hera_Potter » Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:23 pm

The flame looks much better. :)
Retrospecticus: Immortalizing Your Awkward Phase
Chain Chomp
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee
Location: Bristol, England, Uk, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way

Post by Chain Chomp » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:44 am

the flame is better bu you still need to work on Lisa herself
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:27 am

Chain Chomp: please do not randomly bump thread more than a month or two old (this thread is 6-7 months old!)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett