Fanfic formats

We aren't limited to fanfic. Any writing that doesn't fit elsewhere can go here. Feel free to post poetry, stories, articles, ideas and any other fiction or non-fiction you wish.

Which text format is the most appropriate for reading fanfics?

Notepad Text (*.txt)
20%
Rich Text Format (*.rtf)
60%
MS Word Document (*.doc)
13%
HTML (*.html)
No votes
Adobe Acrobat (*.pdf)
7%
Other Formats
No votes

Total votes: 15
Dagdamor

Fanfic formats

Post by Dagdamor » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:54 am

Maybe this problem isn't so important as I see it, but anyway. ;)

Please notice the question was "for reading", because I think writer always should choose format that will be most convenient for readers. TXT format seems to be the most popular here, but without line-breaks it's unsuitable for reading from browser, and with line-breaks it usually becomes unsuitable for printing. Also there are no standards for the line width (in characters).
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Re: Fanfic formats

Post by Meteorite » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:27 am

Dagdamor wrote: Also there are no standards for the line width (in characters).
I have had trouble with that myself.

I would like to suggest here around 80 characters per line for those formats which do not use Word Wrap.

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
Hellfish
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Hellfish » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:40 am

In my experience, rtf has all the features you'll need and  most everybody can read em.
And what's the deal with traffic theory?
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:10 pm

I generally prefer to use RTF and txt.

And I believe it's traditional to wrap txt files at 72 charaters.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

Post by Meteorite » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:18 pm

gkscotty wrote: And I believe it's traditional to wrap txt files at 72 charaters.
Ah.  Even better.

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
Bothead
Advisory Technical Manager
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by Bothead » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:42 pm

I'm used to reading the txt formats. Notepad documents also take up less space than Word documents.
Before continuing, it may be in your best interest, dear reader, to stop and ponder this. Picture it in your mind's eye. An evil one-eyed midget named Cheatum swam across the Gulf of Mexico wearing a shark fin on his back and then planted a bomb on a boat. Think about that. Let that sink in. Now. Wouldn't you want to buy a wrestling show after seeing this?

Dance Epidemic tonight!

Liverpool European Champions 2005. Go on the Kop!
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:14 pm

For preference, rtf, thought txt is also useable. rtf is one of those ISO standards, so no company can get a stranglehold on it. Chances are, if there's a computer of any kind out there, someone has written an rtf reader for it.
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:12 pm

Rich Text, for me. Though I think fiction in script format gets away with TXT just fine - it's easier to read with NotePad, or whatever. You could use a monospace font in a RTF file, too, but I can't see why.

PDF is a b*tch, DOC is MS, HTML is... well, awesome if you're writing fiction with hyperlinks. :)
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão