Fairly OddParents pics by TS

Get help and advice on your art and post works in progress.
Marco

Re: Fairly OddParents pics by TS

Post by Marco » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:01 pm

Very, very, *very* nice job on the shading, and especially on the dresses/jeans wrinkles.

I dont really like that kind of character design, but this is quality work, Tommy. Keep it up!
tommy
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by tommy » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:48 pm

Thanks!  ;D Really appreciate the comment.
I just corrected a small mistake (hair didn't look on-model).
I know what you mean by character design. Nicktoons usually have rather outlandish design, it's like they try yto make them look as unrealistic as possible. But then, Lisa S. doesn't look like a realistic young girl either... At least Vicky, Trixie and the others have real HAIR, not some freaky yellow skin/hair hybrid...  ::)
The real problem is that in this kind of pics you get a discrepancy between the cartoonish style of the head and the realism of the lower body. Not much you can do about it except trying to make the connection head/body as smooth as possible... presumed you want to show the character as a sexy curvy young woman and not as a matchstick figure.
Orange Box
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Orange Box » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:55 pm

Man, that's one hi-quality pic, TS! You're still the undisputed king of jeans ;D And that spray-painted wall is bad enough to be in MJ's "Bad" video!

Con-crit: the embossed effect makes her pupils look kind of... uh, plastic? :-\ Seeing how you 'humanized' her body, maybe it's worth a shot to 'humanize' her eyes, too? Deep eyes can really make a difference (just ask those anime fans!)

Orange Box
You can run with us | We've got everything you need | Run with us | We are free.
tommy
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by tommy » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:57 am

Hehe... yeah, I'm slowly discovering what all those Photoshop buttons are for... like a toddler with a playdoh-factory  ;) Thanks for the praise, OB.
So, what do you suggest for the eyes? Just a blurry light spot in the centre of the pupil?
Orange Box
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Orange Box » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:59 am

So, what do you suggest for the eyes?
The main problem, imo, are the highlights on her eyes. They are very soft and diffused - suggesting that the cornea consists of plastic, or clay... In real life, the highlights are extremely crisp; if you take a look into someone's eyes, you will see the reflection of the light source very clearly (a lamp, the sun, a window...)

I made a quick "how-to draw an iris in two minutes" guide :doh: It's over-simplified, but it illustrates the main points. Hope you can draw some new ideas from it!

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/5105/obeye5hp.jpg

Orange Box
You can run with us | We've got everything you need | Run with us | We are free.
tommy
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by tommy » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:55 am

Wow, that "eye job" looks stunning... proves what you can do with 2 or 3 very simple Photoshop tools, and some artistic imagination of course. Thanks for the tip!
I'm not sure that these super-realistic eyes look good on FOP characters though. They all have monochrome eyes - except (stangely enough) for Veronica who's the only one with additional black pupils. I guess for the "monochrome" girls eyes with a simple sharp white spot will do, while for Veronica it'd be worth a try to give her the complex humanesque eyes from your tutorial.

And - I was on a roll yesterday... Three pics in a row, and not the easiest to draw...
Here's the last one, made in the middle of the night. Trixie Tang in "Goth style", showing her darker side...
A color version is in the making.
Attachments
ts270sketch.jpg
Dagdamor

Post by Dagdamor » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:19 pm

Oh wow, Trixie looks hot here. :) I never seen this cartoon before, but all pictures in the thread are very well done... and great job with the background on "ts269".
*is impressed*
Andreas
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by Andreas » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:45 pm

Wow, some impressive work here! The graffiti on the wall looks extremely real (admit it - you went in front of your house, sprayed it onto the wall and took a picture of it  ;) ), and the subtle shading and the wrinkles on Vicky's cloths are very well done. The Vicky sketch is nice, too, but what you did with the Trixie pic is just outstanding! Those wonderful stroke and cross-hatching techniques add so much character, and you managed to get the proportions perfectly. Gonna love that pose, too! Oh, and although I'm a "Lisa-holic", I must admit that Trixie is veeeery cute.  :)
Andreas

tommy
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by tommy » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:55 am

Andreas wrote: The graffiti on the wall looks extremely real (admit it - you went in front of your house, sprayed it onto the wall and took a picture of it  ;)
Hey, I don't live in a ghetto!  >:(
[hears the sound of crashing trash cans, gunshots and police sirens and looks out of the window] Oh wait, in fact I do.  :(
I was surprised myself how easy it is to create "graffiti" in Photoshop. Just set the opacity of your airbrush to 70% and the brick texture shines through nicely.

Anyway, here's the color version of the Trixie Goth sketch.
"Color version" isn't the right word though: it's done in black and white (it's really fun working with grayshades - I wonder why b/w isn't used more often?).
I think Trixie looks rather sexy in black velvet... at least that's what I tried to create for her outfit. Dunno if it looks right.
Attachments
ts270.jpg
Andreas

Post by Andreas » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:20 am

tommy wrote: Dunno if it looks right.
It surely does! You're doing very well with textures, and this one works great in a black and white picture (hint to all: don't look at it against this blue background of the forums, it really ruins the mood). I think the pic would look cool as a desktop wallpaper, wanna give it a try?

Oh, and about the graffiti thingy: The wall looks way to clean to be in a ghetto, but it rather seems to be one from a nice suburban townhome. ;)
Andreas

Marco

Post by Marco » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:34 pm

I can't really say wether i like better the crosshatched version of the pic or the b/w colored one. I can say that both look astounding: the first one because ofthe detail of the pencil strokes and shades, the second because of the softness and the velvet effect on her clothes.

I probably would like the second better if you added some stronger shading in some parts of her body, like the rear of the leg, just beyond the skirt, and other little places. I like the pencil shaded pic because it's more "3d" in this.

Congratulations on another very good job, though. You've got skills!
tommy
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by tommy » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:50 am

Thanks Marco.
Here's a new sketch. I tried applying OB's eye tutorial to the only FOP girl who has pupils: sweet blonde Veronica.
Attachments
ts272sketch.jpg
tommy
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by tommy » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:29 am

Well, I just finished the color version...

I'm not sure I should post it here though. It's dangerous stuff. If you drink your coffee with five lumps of sugar in it, this is your pic. If you have seen "The Sound of Music" fifteen times, it's tailored to your taste. It's teeth-rottin' sweet. It's ueber-cute. It will make you go "awwww" for five consecutive hours. It's just creepy, really.

Ah, well, here goes. Remember, you can't un-see this thing.

Attachments
ts272.jpg
Chinese Orphane
New SNPP Employee
New SNPP Employee

Post by Chinese Orphane » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:20 am

wow your pretty good at that keep it up dude!
the lines and shading have no problems absoulutley purrfect
I wouldn't see anymistakes outstanding
::) wish I could do dat
HIGH SCHOOL PRESSURE
BY OLIVIA

i heard that popularity aint all what its cracked up to be why am i so stressed i should study on grades and do my best im upset anious freaked out impateint this is the second rought draft of my poem the other replaced it i had to start all over again makes it hard to take this to the end so i shall say in every way i hope my names rembered for high school in a good way this is a discarce how can i face starting a new popular life hopefully ppl there can respect me stress shouldnt have to be everything begging pleading let me do well all this compotion i feel im in HE** but i shall go this may drop out hope that school ill have no doubts...

for now im stressed but again im fine im ending this now i dont have time
Andreas

Post by Andreas » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:02 am

Weeee, that's pure sugar indeed! Heh, now I can't sleep anymore.  :P  But seriously, I really like what you did with her hair, and I guess OB's tutorial on how to create realistic eyes has already paid off. *looks for the cutest smiley*  :maggie: <- Well, I guess it's this one.
Andreas