A simple survey... of doom...

Get help, post works in progress for feedback and see articles and tutorials written by other writers.
Hellfish
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

A simple survey... of doom...

Post by Hellfish » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:16 pm

Well, it's about that time, when I think I should've written something (Anything, really) a long time ago and I thought of "Are you afraid of the treehouse?". I always meant for that to be a series similar to "Are you afraid of the dark?" so that's all fine and dandy. But this time I'll throw in a bit of interactivity as well so here goes...

AYAOTT is all about the spoofs, as might've been gathered, so now I'll take any and all suggestions on what to spoof! If you have a suggestion, don't hesitate to post it, be it a movie, a book, an internet phenomenon etc... (Except "Are you afraid of the dark","The quiet earth","Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" and "Charmed", of course. :))

The three best/coolest/most bizarre suggestions (Possibly also a "most wanted") will be spoofed in "AYAOTT 2: It came from the treehouse!"! TIA!

:maggie:
And what's the deal with traffic theory?
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: We have space marines at home

Re: A simple survey... of doom...

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:15 pm

A survey! Fun!

Well... I've always found it a bit weird that the work of H.P. Lovecraft has never been spoofed by OFF (except in the title of "Mountain of Madness" and one measly appearance by the Necronomicon), so wouldn't mind seeing a THoH fanfic teeming with unnamed horrors from the darkness of the centre of the universe where Azathoth lolls to the mindless music of the flutes... ahem. Got a bit carried away there.

Others? Well, part of me wants to see a "Gormenghast" parody, but that's not really horror (and probably impossible to do in short format, anyway), so maybe the time is ripe for another Edgar Allan Poe story. (Presumably not "The Tell-Tale Heart".)

A Stargate SG-1 parody might be funny as well. Again, it's not really horror, and I think it would have to be a bit removed from the show to work, but just a suggestion.

More ideas may be forthcoming.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
Hellfish
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Hellfish » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:14 am

*takes notes to research*
Lovecraft & Poe.. I'll just spoof "The Raven" then. ;D
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:32 pm

A pardoy of IT, with Krusty the Clown as Pennywise, has seemed long overdue to me. The Evil Dead is already pretty funny, and Homer with a chainsaw for an arm alone seems a good enough reason to do it to me (plus you can have zombi maude in the basement). Carrie has been done to death with Lisa, but Firestarter might be worth a go. And there's always The Davinci Code to lampoon if you want to do something non-horror.
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
Marco

Post by Marco » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:57 pm

D.B. wrote: Carrie has been done to death with Lisa
Where? WHERE?

where?
WHere?

who?
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:24 pm

"Corrie" by Chad Lehman was posted on this site many years ago (it has since been removed). Another Carrie parody called "Lisa" (I don't remember the author) was posted somewhere in this forum, but I seem unable to find it. Anyone who can fill me in on this is welcome to.

I'm the Cockney firestarter
I start the Cockney fires
I get me Cockney matches out
This one doesn't really work...
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:38 pm

There's also a Carrie parody in a halloween issue of Simpson comics. It's not brilliant, but if the comic's writers themselves have finally latched onto the idea, it's probably a sign that it's time to let it go  ;)
Another Carrie parody called "Lisa" (I don't remember the author) was posted somewhere in this forum, but I seem unable to find it. Anyone who can fill me in on this is welcome to.
This looks like it's probably the one:
http://www.simpworks.com/YaBBAttachments/Lisa.doc
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:51 am

Ha, D.B., I've wanted to see an IT parody with Krusty since I first came online as a Simpsons fan all those years ago.  You're not alone. :)  I think Matty wanted one as well...

When I was hoping for IT, I was also hoping for a 'Psycho' parody with Skinner, in b&w and everything...

Hmm, I think I did a drawing of those THOH hopefuls way back when at the beginning of my reign of terror as well.  No idea if it's still anywhere on the site, though...

Anyway, I'm rambling. :)  IT, Psycho....um, Nightmare Before Christmas?  Or some sort of Tim Burton spoof, anyway.  :P

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
Hellfish
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Hellfish » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:36 am

IT sounds like a capital idea, as well as Evil Dead. Research will start this/next weekend with a movie rental rampage but if you think of any more ideas, they are very much welcome up until I post the finished script! Thanks for all the cool ideas so far,everybody! :)
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by gkscotty » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:57 pm

Something to remember with Evil Dead - you can't parody something that's already funny. It doesn't work.

Reference it, sure, but I wouldn't even try to parody.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:28 pm

Bumped, because of a weird idea that's sticking in my mind, and you're a fellow Swede, so have you read Karin Boye's "Kallocain"? For some reason, I keep imagining Homer and the other Simpsons as Leo Kall and his family. I don't know if a parody could be done, but at least it would be less hackneyed than yet another "1984" spoof...
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

Hellfish
Safety Technician
Safety Technician

Post by Hellfish » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:22 am

I havn't read it yet, but I will now. ;D

2 targets have been chosen and 1 have been started, the third however, is still undecided so straggler ideas are still welcome. I don't think I'll spoil anything by saying that the started one involves a banana boat and prehistoric lizards. ;D

Thanks for the great ideas, everybody!
Dead Composer
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by Dead Composer » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:53 am

Here's a parody idea...

"Wages of Beer"

In this spoof of the French movie "Wages of Fear", Lenny and Carl desperately need money, so Mr. Burns hires them to transport a highly volatile nuclear fuel from Springfield to Shelbyville.  The slightest shock can set off the fuel and cause a nuclear explosion!  Will they make it?  Will they blow it?  Will they ever acknowledge their feelings for...uh, never mind.