How has the Simpsons influenced your behaviour?

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.
Meteorite
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
Custom Title: spacehorse

How has the Simpsons influenced your behaviour?

Post by Meteorite » Thu Apr 18, 2002 6:27 am

I'm not talking about saying "D'oh" everytime something goes wrong, I'm talking about the way you think.

I ask this because last night, I was staying at my cousin's house for dinner.  Fortunately for me, my mum saw that my aunt was preparing a lamb roast and told her that I won't eat lamb.  I ended up with chicken instead of lamb.

But it got me thinking, why?  I eat just about any meat there is, but not lamb.  My guess is that when I was younger, I saw the ep 'Lisa the Vegetarian' and the fact that eating lamb was wrong somehow stuck with me.

What about you?

<gkscotty|drawing> most people play Pokemon games with GameFAQs or a Pokéwiki open
<gkscotty|drawing> you seem to have TVTRopes :P

Sometimes I feel like dressing up my Gaia avatar.
Feels kinda pointless since I don't actually do stuff at Gaia, so I'm putting it here.
Craig_Fotheringham

Re: How has the Simpsons influenced your behaviour

Post by Craig_Fotheringham » Thu Apr 18, 2002 9:22 am

Wow, that is strange. I can't say that the Simpsons has influenced me in any way.
archonix
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post by archonix » Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:45 am

I don't think it influenced me in to changing in any particular way.  It did help me be a lot more comfortable with my personality though. :)  Well, I did start my writing "career" because of it, so that has to be a good thing.

And I'm playing the sax now... ;D
Our choicest plans have fallen through, our airiest castles tumbled over, because of lines we neatly drew and later neatly stumbled over.
— Piet Hein - Grooks
Marco

Post by Marco » Thu Apr 18, 2002 11:46 am

I'm sure it changed me, maybe more than i can think of. I'm not sure how or why, but i know that  %4) had a lot to do with it.
:)
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:19 pm

I'm not sure how or why, but i know that   had a lot to do with it.
The very same applies with me. ;)

I think that The Simpsons helped me to get more mature. I started watching it when I was 13 or 14, and I sure started getting another vision of stuff. I remember the first episode I saw seriously was Lisa's Wedding, and that transformed me into a real Lisa fan. I started admiring her character and learnt a lot with it: I even identified myself with her. But overall, The Simpsons gave me a more mature and insightful mind. I gained a very critic view of the stuff that surround me, and even, acquired a cruel sense of humour. :D
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
Daniel_Walkinshaw
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by Daniel_Walkinshaw » Thu Apr 18, 2002 2:42 pm

I think the Simpsons was a route to obsessiveness for me. I'm a fanatic with many things.
Its influenced me in many ways.. I watched The Simpsons when I should have been working.
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:04 pm

Alex!  Hello! :)

Hmmm....influence on my life?  Well, there's that portion of my brain that's been given up to remembering nothing but countless quotes, references, scenes and characters. %1)  But actual influence?  It gave me my obsessive love for wit, satire and spoofs.  It helped push my creativity and imagination to a whole new level (like it needed the help :D).  And, it got me interested in animation and cartooning.

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
aoifestorm
Sub-sector Control Officer
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by aoifestorm » Thu Apr 18, 2002 6:28 pm

One way that the Simpsons has influenced my life is that many Simpsonisms have found their way into my vocabulary.
Homer eats a little too much Chile to strong pepper and is found with hullicinations amongst other things it speaks with a dog.
IDPStan
General Control Officer
General Control Officer

Post by IDPStan » Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:25 pm

I used some of the phrases like "D'oh" and "get bent" and stuff but apart from that not really. Oh and the writing OFF fanfic but thats another thing entirely...
Why is it always mayday to call for help? Why not something like…Shove Tuesday or Ascension Sunday? - Arnold Rimmer

You have joined the sacred order of The Stonecutters, who since ancient times, have split the rocks of ignorance that obscure the light of knowledge of light and truth. Now let's all get drunk and play Ping-Pong! - Number One
jenny
Supervising Technician
Supervising Technician

Post by jenny » Thu Apr 18, 2002 8:58 pm

The Simpsons made me start writing. So you all know who to blame now.
HOUSE MUSIC ALL NIGHT LONG!!
Leanne

Post by Leanne » Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:11 pm

Well, I think that actually lately I've been trying to bring my grades up more. I don't know if that has to do with something with me wanting to be as smart as SS Bob or something...
L to the eanne

Post by L to the eanne » Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:15 pm

uh yeah that was actually my answer up there. but i forgot to log in. D'OH!!
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Thu Apr 18, 2002 10:29 pm

It helped shape my warped sense of humor, as well as getting me interested in writing and making me want to embark on a cartoon-related career...so I'd say "Yes, The Simpsons has immensely influenced me." ;)
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Marco

Post by Marco » Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:43 am

... i forgot to say they had me start drawing, a hobby that probably saved me from a lot of bad things. ;D
And now i know HTML too! :D
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:05 am

If not for the Simpsons, I would never have got interested in fanfiction. If I hadn't been interested in fanfiction, I would never have gone to Adam's old site. If I'd never gone to Adam's site, I wouldn't have started writing fanfic and I wouldn't have been part of the original unholy coven who started the Club. If I hadn't been part of the club and its chat meetings, I would never have met a certain talented, but by then rather obscure, writer/comic book artist named Graham Dawson. And the rest is the oldest history of them all.

I *could* start talking about the fact that "The Secret War of Lisa Simpson" made me an army nutter, but that's too painful. Suffice it to say, sometimes when I face a challenge and pass it successfully, I even use Lisa's triumphant line: "You said I couldn't, but I could, and I did, and I could do it again, let's do it again!"
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.