Somebody get me a drink...

Off Topic Discussions and General Rantage for everything that doesn't fit into another forum. No flaming please.
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Somebody get me a drink...

Post by Stretch_Dude » Sun Apr 14, 2002 11:40 pm

I just read this at The Springfield Shopper. It's a new description of next Sunday's episode, "Gump Roast":
Homer is chosen to be roasted at the Springfield Friars Club, and as the roast gets underway, Bart and Lisa recount the fun they have had over the years, leading to a variety of clips from episodes past. Mr. Burns, Grandpa and Mrs. Skinner [I assume they mean "Principal Skinner"] reminisce about all of Homer's outrageous entanglements, and Reverend Lovejoy, accompanied by Flanders, performs a song. Moments later, to everyone's shock, Kang and Kodos appear and announce that they set up this roast to judge all of humanity...and the fate of the world rests on Homer Simpson.
I don't even know what to say about this...
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
gkscotty
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Re: Somebody get me a drink...

Post by gkscotty » Mon Apr 15, 2002 12:17 am

Sweet merciful crap, my continuity!

If this is true, and K&K appear in a non-THOH ep, then it's the end of Simpsons being set in the world as we know it.

(I went looking for other sources, apparantly that ep is confirmed. There's also an ep called "Little Girl in the Big Ten" where Lisa gets good at gymnastics (fits in with Simpmoon so I like :-) ) and poses as a college student. Um... excuse me?)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone’s fault. If it was Us, what did that make Me? After all, I’m one of Us. I must be. I’ve certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We’re always one of Us. It’s Them that do bad things. - Jingo, Terry Pratchett
Mel

Post by Mel » Mon Apr 15, 2002 12:18 am

SOMEONE NEEDS TO BE SHOT FOR THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Craig_Fotheringham

Post by Craig_Fotheringham » Mon Apr 15, 2002 1:16 am

What? The fuck? Is that?
Last edited by Craig_Fotheringham on Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kwyjibo
Sub-sector Control Officer

Post by Kwyjibo » Mon Apr 15, 2002 8:09 am

:scream: LALALALALA! I'M NOT LISTENING! !!!
*pretends there's no such thing as Simpsons S11+*
SirMustapha
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by SirMustapha » Mon Apr 15, 2002 9:36 am

So now, let's join all our forces, and sing, in only one voice, the hymn below:

We don't need no 13th season -
We don't need no crappy jokes -
No cheap episodes in our evenings -
Lawyers, let us write alone;
HEY! LAWYERS! Let us write alone!
All in all, we're just another group on the Web!
Last edited by SirMustapha on Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I know that the bourgeoisie stinks, but it has money to buy perfume."
-- Falcão
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Mon Apr 15, 2002 3:23 pm

Sweet merciful crap, my continuity!
[can't help but crack up at that one]  *lol*

That does sound rather bad.....Kang & Kodos appearing in a regular episode?  There goes twelve-plus seasons of tradition!  I hope this description is just a joke....'Cause I was looking forward to this episode as being a rather good clip show.

Damn.  Just when we started getting some real gems here in Season 13, they start to throw the proverbial shit on the fan.

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
Karsten_Thiel
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant
Sub-sector Control Officer's Assistant

Post by Karsten_Thiel » Mon Apr 15, 2002 4:04 pm

¡No! ¡Es! ¡BUENO! :madgo:

Okay, let's hope those people confused April 14th with April 1st, because if they didn't, someone's gonna die! >:(

After several hours, I mean... Image
What flows from me nose does not go on the clothes.
c_nordlander
Insane Underling
Insane Underling
Custom Title: future Neuralink chassis

Post by c_nordlander » Mon Apr 15, 2002 4:20 pm

¡No! ¡Es! ¡BUENO! :madgo:

Okay, let's hope those people confused April 14th with April 1st, because if they didn't, someone's gonna die! >:(

After several hours, I mean... Image
I'm with you on that. Literally.

Hmmm... my first feeling upon reading this waking nightmare was relief, because, well, the story doesn't seem centred around sex in any way. Then again, it has Homer being roasted (?) and Kang and Kodos are doing this to judge humanity. I think I've sworn never to use Japanese in posts again, but sometimes you just have to scream "NANI?" and face fault.

This doesn't make *any* sense, not even stupid sense, whatsoever! This isn't The Simpsons! This isn't even South Park!

Someone obviously thinks it's a hilarious and carefully plotted idea, though. Hmmm... maybe roasting people alive *is* hilarious.
Pretty little baby
Pretty little monster
Went to the good school
Left with honours
Brand new tycoon
Sitting with a harpoon

-- Mother Mother, "Business Man"

Now offering writing commissions! Fanfiction or original, PM me for more information.
aoifestorm

Post by aoifestorm » Mon Apr 15, 2002 5:14 pm

:P Ughhh, more unnecessary celebrity cameos.  I would rather see Kang and Kodos than the celebrities though.
Homer eats a little too much Chile to strong pepper and is found with hullicinations amongst other things it speaks with a dog.
IDPStan
General Control Officer
General Control Officer

Post by IDPStan » Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:18 pm

*sigh* Just when you thought OFF was getting better they go and do this. ::)

Urge to kill rising! :madgo:
Last edited by IDPStan on Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why is it always mayday to call for help? Why not something like…Shove Tuesday or Ascension Sunday? - Arnold Rimmer

You have joined the sacred order of The Stonecutters, who since ancient times, have split the rocks of ignorance that obscure the light of knowledge of light and truth. Now let's all get drunk and play Ping-Pong! - Number One
Sheana_Molloy
Bootlick
Bootlick

Post by Sheana_Molloy » Mon Apr 15, 2002 6:48 pm

I think I heard somewhere that Castellaneta or one of the other voice talents wrote this episode, which makes it even worse.

Trace said he didn't see himself as an icon, but wanted to be a logo. Frank settled for being a font.
--MST3K interview

Peter Grant:  I'm the manager of Led Zeppelin!
Bob Dylan:  I don't come to you with my problems.
Tony_Baritone
Advisory Technical Manager
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by Tony_Baritone » Mon Apr 15, 2002 9:08 pm

I hope you know what this kind of roast is Chris, though somehow I think you'd prefer the more literal definition...last year I missed an episode because of a playoff game.  There's another conflict this year, but I don't think I'll be too upset over missing this one.
Stretch_Dude
Junior Secretariat
Junior Secretariat

Post by Stretch_Dude » Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:58 pm

Roast: noun. a banquet honoring a person (as a celebrity) who is subjected to humorous tongue-in-cheek ridicule by friends.

*looks at Sheana's sig* Is this what you guys do when I'm not around? ;D
I memorized "Holy Grail" really well
I can recite it right now and have you ROTFLOL
- "Weird Al" Yankovic, "White and Nerdy"

"Any pile of stunted growth unaware that entertainment is just that and nothing more, deserves to doom themselves to some dank cell, somewhere, for having been so stupid!! Movies, books, T.V., music - they're all just entertainment, not guidebooks for damning yourself!" - Nny

I draw too, dammit!
Ranman
Technical Supervisor
Technical Supervisor

Post by Ranman » Tue Apr 16, 2002 2:12 am

I'm reading this and thinking "Is this someone's sick idea of a joke?" But it's really not that funny.

Who's up for making "Perceptions" into reality? I live near a Navy base with rediculousely lax security. :naughty:
"But you can also purify enemies, and convert them to join your side. It's like being a Jehova's witness, except you hand out cans of whoop-ass instead of those Watchtower leaflets."
-- Ian Jones-Quarty, discussing La Pucelle Tactics
----------
"Aye, the Welsh and Gaelic languages are a sight to behold. You have to drink a LOT of magic beer to read them."
-- Unknown