Name that girl!

Get help and advice on your art and post works in progress.
tommy
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Name that girl!

Post by tommy » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:18 am

Yesterday night I felt like drawing a well-known cartoon girl with a "twist": I changed her hairstyle, making her a bit harder to recognize. I'm quite happy with the way it turned out, I feel it's another step towards a more realistic style. But I wonder if it's still clear who she is?* Let's make a contest out of it: the winner has a choice of three fabulous prizes:
1. a 10c off "Shake-'n-Bake" coupon
2. a x-mas tree with "happy new millennium" decorations, needles not included.
3. a half-eaten chocolate bar I found under the front seat of my car.

*and no, it's not Lisa.
Attachments
ts300s.jpg
cuteswan

Re: Name that girl!

Post by cuteswan » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:08 pm

Though she looks a bit younger than in the series, I'll guess Penny from Inspector Gadget.
Andreas
Advisory Technical Manager
Advisory Technical Manager

Post by Andreas » Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:32 pm

Now that you're mention it... Looking at her nose, I'd say you're correct. May I have a prize, too? I'd take the Christmas tree with the millennium decoration. Could be useful in 994 years or so. ;)
Andreas

D.B.
Sub Lt
Sub Lt

Post by D.B. » Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:29 pm

Heh. I'll take whatever's leftover, as I think it's penny too. One thing i must say I like about this is the way you don't use too many solid lines to indicate the facial features, and instead do most of the shaping with the shading. It looks far more natural (imo obviously) than many a 'realistic' drawing I've seen where they feel the need to ink in all sorts of angles and lines.

Can we expect to see a Lisa in the same style anytime soon? ;)
"The way to succeed is to get born at the right time and in the right place. If you can do that then you are bound to succeed. You have to be receptive and have some talent as well."
- Sydney Brenner
tommy
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by tommy » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:07 pm

Correctomundo!  :)
Since Andreas claimed the needle-less x-mas tree and the dog ate the chocolate bar, Rich and Pat gotta fight to the death over the Shake-'n-Bake coupon. Cue Star Trek fight music!
cuteswan

Post by cuteswan » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:20 pm

Hey, I got it first, so I get first pick at a prize: I want to fight both Pat and Andreas!  >:(  The winner should get a picture request.*

Besides, Shake 'n Bake is bad for me: it makes the people around me get real eaty all of a sudden.

* A picture by me, though, not Tommy. :p
tommy
Trainee Technician
Trainee Technician

Post by tommy » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:39 am

The color version of the above pic took a while, but here y'are.
Attachments
ts300.jpg
cuteswan

Post by cuteswan » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:34 am

Penny is as beautiful as ever, especially with those sky blue eyes, even if the difference in reflection for each eye is a bit pronounced.  It gives her a very dreamy look.  Using mostly shading to define her lips and nose is brilliant, and even more so with the coloring on her cheeks.  You made her look great as a redhead -- I'd say better than Disney did except that my comment might get back to Michelle T. ;)  There are a few spots where the grain of the highlighting goes against the flow of her hair rather noticeably, mostly in front below her left shoulder.  Also, her navel came out amazingly well, especially since most people don't pay much attention at all to them.

Also, now I really notice the way she's posed with her "right shoulder slouched" to accommodate her right elbow behind her spine while her left arm comes around her hips.  The clothing is terrific, subtle yet very defining, any you worked in the current fashion of having the top of her underwear stick out.  Actually, it's better that she dresses lightly, as she's always too hot after the MAD agents tie her up with that heavy rope they always carry around with them. ;)

Thanks for sharing. :)